PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta due to expire

blueivy
26-May-09, 14:12
I know quite a few people in here are using the Windows 7 Beta. Just as a reminder, if you haven't received the email from Microsoft, the beta is due to start expiring on 1 June. From then it will reboot every two hours.

You need to upgrade to the Windows 7 Release Candidiate (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx).

octane
26-May-09, 15:40
What do you think of it Paul, Im looking forward to the final release and its the way the upgrade from XP should have been in the first place!!!

blueivy
26-May-09, 16:11
What do you think of it Paul, Im looking forward to the final release and its the way the upgrade from XP should have been in the first place!!!

Having used every Windows OS since Dos 4 (including Server side OS) I would say that Windows 7 is without doubt Microsoft's best operating system to date. It ticks every box that I personally have in that it's fast, runs on reasonable hardware (there are various people who have got it to run well on low spec netbooks), is very stable (I've had one blue screen while running the Beta and there was a patch for that) and it doesn't keep pestering you (like Vista).

XP ticks more of those boxes for me than Vista but going from Windows 7 back to XP (as I have a dual boot machine) shows how dated and more cumbersome XP is. I run probably three dozen apps regularly and I'd say about a dozen of those are heavy apps (like MS Office and VMWare). With XP it's obvious those apps are installed, let alone running. Windows 7 ticks away and doesn't seem phased by it.

I have a number of clients and with the majority of them running XP. I recommended against them upgrading to Vista. When Windows 7 does hit the street, which is rumoured to be October, I will be recommending they upgrade as soon as possible.

The caveat to upgrading from XP is a clean install. Microsoft have consistently said they will not provide an upgrade path from XP but there is a lot of pressure on them to do so. Most people see the path for customers being from XP to 7 and not Vista to 7. There was an upgrade path from XP to Vista and the technology changes between Vista and 7 is not that great so there shouldn't be a reason why it can't be done.

blueivy
29-May-09, 11:42
I know quite a few people in here are using the Windows 7 Beta. Just as a reminder, if you haven't received the email from Microsoft, the beta is due to start expiring on 1 June. From then it will reboot every two hours.

You need to upgrade to the Windows 7 Release Candidiate (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx).

Email received from Microsoft today:

Because you signed up to test the Windows 7 Beta, we recently sent you mail about the expiration dates for the Beta and Release Candidate. Unfortunately, we made a mistake.

We said the Beta would start shutting down every two hours on June 1, 2009. The correct date is July 1, 2009.
So the panic is over for this weekend!

Pastychomper
08-Jun-09, 13:28
... It ticks every box that I personally have in that it's fast, runs on reasonable hardware (there are various people who have got it to run well on low spec netbooks), is very stable (I've had one blue screen while running the Beta and there was a patch for that) and it doesn't keep pestering you (like Vista).
The caveat to upgrading from XP is a clean install...

Sounds like Ubuntu to me. :D Does Windows 7 come as a live CD too?

blueivy
11-Jun-09, 19:32
Rumours are this will be available to Microsoft Partners in July so the final release can't be far off.

redeyedtreefrog
15-Jul-09, 21:38
Rumours are this will be available to Microsoft Partners in July so the final release can't be far off.

22nd October according to Microsoft

tonkatojo
15-Jul-09, 21:50
just wondered does this affect windows 7 pro ?

M R
15-Jul-09, 23:36
Just use the re-arm process, it's easily found and will give you an extended 60 or 90 days...

blueivy
16-Jul-09, 10:09
Just use the re-arm process, it's easily found and will give you an extended 60 or 90 days...

That doesn't work. The Beta and RC were both time bombed to expire on the alloted dates. Rearming is for extending the registration period of the operating system. It still won't extend it past the time bomb dates.

blueivy
16-Jul-09, 10:11
just wondered does this affect windows 7 pro ?

What do you mean?

blueivy
16-Jul-09, 10:13
22nd October according to Microsoft

It's been announced that for end users and hardware manufacturers it's 22nd October, for Volume Licence customers (ie. big business) it's 1st September and for Partners it's the 2nd half of July.

As the (unsupported) upgrade from Beta to RC didn't go well for my machine I'm hopefully going to get my hands on the final version soon so I can get things working again here.

blueivy
16-Jul-09, 10:17
Hopefully this may be of interest to some people.

I have a dozen official Windows 7 Release Candidate CD's from Microsoft available to give away (some x64 and some x32) if anybody wants one. You can download it if you want to but the CD's are here if you need one. All you need to get it working is a free product key that you can get from Microsoft's website. The RC expires in June 2010 so you have almost a year to use it once you install it.

If you want one please PM me your name and address and I'll send it out. Those worried about privacy don't. Your name and address isn't stored or passed on anywhere - it's only used to send the disk out.

UPDATE: Just found out that the downloads for the RC will stop on August 20th so if you want to download it you'll need to do it before this time. However you will still be able to install it and get a key.

tonkatojo
16-Jul-09, 15:40
What do you mean?

IE7PRO-Vo.9.20.2

thanks JL

blueivy
16-Jul-09, 15:49
IE7PRO-Vo.9.20.2

Sorry I'm still not sure what you mean.

You asked how the release date of October 22nd (I think as it was below the post about that) affects the Windows 7 Professional version? All the versions will be released on the same date.

If that's not the answer you're looking for can you explain exactly what you are asking or if somebody else does understand can they answer?

tonkatojo
17-Jul-09, 11:58
Sorry I'm still not sure what you mean.

You asked how the release date of October 22nd (I think as it was below the post about that) affects the Windows 7 Professional version? All the versions will be released on the same date.

If that's not the answer you're looking for can you explain exactly what you are asking or if somebody else does understand can they answer?

Don't worry about it I was having a "blonde day/senior moment" I googled it and got my answer, but thanks anyway.