PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar, Angry Spaniards, Beer and Fish Nicking.

Gene Hunt
24-May-09, 15:56
Just been having a drink with a Spanish gentleman in the same line of work as myself and it seems that the Spanish Navy have been having a bit of a foray into the waters around Gibralatar. He was quite proud of this until I brought up the last time the Spanish Navy took us on. Cue lots of angry dialect from him about Gibraltar with me just replying with "Its ours and you cant have it back" and folding my arms dramatically to everything he claimed. Then I told him my son was a Royal Marine and they might object slightly to losing Gibraltar. Not good. He then got REALLY upset about the Falklands/Royal Marines/Para's/Royal Navy and Maggie T for some reason. Through the haze of more than a few Corona's I sensed a bit of an affilation with Argentina. There then followed a bit of a Basil Fawlty sketch with me saying "Well, you started it" as often as I could when he mentioned "his brothers in the Falklands War" before he staggered back to the hotel in a mood spouting something in Spanish and gesticulating for me to do something that isnt physically possible. At least not without a rack and a LOT of help. My shouts of "Thats it .. retreat .. just like last time" probably didnt help really but I cant help it, although it was funny when the couple on the table next to us joined in. I have no idea why as they were German, I did however not get the chance to pull the Basil Fawlty "You started it" line on them. What a missed opportunity. Mainly because they started buying me schnapps. I like the Germans, they dont nick our fish but more of that later. Now I hadnt heard anything about this Spanish Navy incursion in the news but a bit of research pulled up this ... http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=16146 .. naughty naughty Spain.

What is it with Spanish and Hispanic people and their desire to own bits of our territory ??, do they have some kind of inbuilt desire to own bits of Britian that are especially rocky ?? .. its all a bit strange. Anyway I am sure that the Goverment would love to hand it back. Blair tried in 2002 and the storm of protest from over 20,000 who took to the streets in Gibraltar itself killed that idea off. And I realise that there are people who would see the British desire to hold onto it as us holding onto the last bit of the Empire blah blah blah etc etc etc. No doubt thinking we should hand it over this second and apologise to boot. For what I dont know but the appeasers in Goverment would think of something I am sure.

Personally I am proud of being British and feel that Gibraltar is ours and we should keep it. Its time for a bit of the old British Lion spirit where we just told people to get stuffed and if they didnt do it or even dared to object we nicked their country, their women, their alcohol and any exotic fruit we hadnt seen before and claimed it as our own. I feel the country is too full of touchy feely sensitive types ready to jump to the defence of those who wish to give away our land, customs and traditions. Or even criticise us. Its almost as if we are embarassed to state that you cant blinking well have it !!, I personally feel we need a bit more of the Rourkes Drift spirit when it comes to dealing with the Spanish anyway. They nicked all our fish after all. The gits. And they dont even eat Fish Fingers or Fish and Chips. Why on earth do they do that ??

So should we ..

Stand our ground over Gibraltar and have "Trafalgar II .. The Empire Strikes Back" while we still have a Navy that you wont be able to fit into a large puddle. And get the Booties to practice beach assaults on the Costa Brava and Costa del Sol to show we are serious, ideally at one o clock during siesta time so they dont even know we are doing it. Come to think of it we could invade, get showered, changed and be in the Bar with a cold beer as new rulers of the country while they were on their siesta. 24 Hour Petrol apparently but they close between 12 and 1 .. Eh ??

or

Hand it back with a grovelling New Labour apology for daring to offend a nation who are only slightly worse than the French when it comes to fisticuffs, And they nick all our fish, did I mention that ??, they do you know. They nick our fish. All the time. The Gits. Fish nicking gits they are.

or

Plan a mass two week British migration to Ibiza in July and claim the place once we outnumber the locals to see how they like it. Possesion is nine tenths of the law after all. Its only fair you know. They nick our fish, they really do. I cannot emphasise this too much, they nick our fish.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE HUMOUR CHALLENGED OUT THERE ..

Some of the above may be meant seriously, or maybe not. You decide. I have been sitting in a Bar in Lisbon and watching scantily clad women pass by while the wife isnt with me and downing beers while doing nothing for relations with Spanish Air Traffic Controllers. Therefore I am a bit tipsy and I have taken ages to type this lest the Org grammar police get me. What I am serious about, and I think I may have mentioned this before is that the Spanish nick our fish, they do, they do, and I am not happy about it. Fish Nicking is out of line. Its not right nicking fish. Seriously. Stop it right now you fish nickers. They also want Gibraltar but I think we should sort the fish issue out first. But I fear I may have drifted off topic here a bit.

So I am going back to the Bar. Toodles. Let me know what option you want and we can see about sorting out the fish nic .. oh you get the idea.

bekisman
24-May-09, 16:14
Bit hypocritical these Spanish aren't they? don't see 'em handing back Ceuta & Melilla to Morocco?
SPANISH NORTH AFRICA (CEUTA AND MELILLA)
Location: Ceuta is an enclave of Morocco, across the Straits of Gibraltar from Spain, and Melilla is a peninsula and islands further east on the Mediterranean Moroccan coast. Size: Ceuta, 7 sq. mi. (19 sq. km.); Melilla, 5 sq. mi. (12.3 sq. km.). Population: Ceuta, 70,000; Melilla, 67,500.

Kevin Milkins
24-May-09, 17:22
They certainly have a thing about fish in Spain, especially our fish. A friend of mine has a small haulage company in the Midlands and he does refrigerated haulage. He used to collect fish from Scrabster and Kinlockbervie and deliver it to Barcelona.:eek:

As for Gibraltar, we drove down to Southern Spain in a camper van and stayed for five weeks on a campsite. A lot of British people staying there recommended shopping in Gibraltar because it's duty free and they have a big Morison’s store.

We did it twice and on both occasions we got turned over big style by the customs police. After about half an hour of rigorous searching I ask the policeman what he was looking for and he replied “cigarettes”. I pointed to the over subscription of cigarettes sticking out of the top of our shopping bags, but he ignored me and carried on trying to dismantle the TV while his mate was busy in the engine.:confused

Back at the campsite I was informed that they do this to the British because they enjoy it and it inconveniences them.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Lisboa.

_Ju_
24-May-09, 18:05
Which bar in lisboa?

Gene Hunt
25-May-09, 09:31
Which bar in lisboa?

About fifteen minutes walk away from the Hotel Mundial where some collagues were staying, I didnt take much notice of the name to be honest. I was feeling the effects of the Hotel Bar at that time.

golach
25-May-09, 09:46
lol Gene, I take it you will not be looking for a career in the Diplomatic Corps [lol]
Have served with Gibraltarians whilst on exercise with the RN, they were more British than I am :)

_Ju_
25-May-09, 13:19
About fifteen minutes walk away from the Hotel Mundial where some collagues were staying, I didnt take much notice of the name to be honest. I was feeling the effects of the Hotel Bar at that time.

That has brought back memories. I trudged Lisbons roads many times as a skint uni student. I hope you got to have some nice fresh grilled sardines. They are in season.
There was a really good restaurant ( for typical portuguese fair, such as dried salted cod fish or grilled sardines) on Rua das portas de santo Antao (On the corner opposite the tram lift). It looked old which might put you off a bit, but the cook was excellent and the prices for the quality of the food supreme. ORRRRRRRRRRR There was "David da Burraca", but that would have to be a Taxi ride there and back because it is easy to get lost trying to find it, especially at night.

Have fun. I do miss Lisbon. Lived there for a decade or so....