PDA

View Full Version : The Shipping Forecast

alex
19-May-09, 01:07
Since arriving, I've become more interested in what's happening in Fair Isle but always seems to drift off into other thoughts before it comes around being as it's nearly last on the clock they use to go round the UK.

I wonder how many folk on boats out there still wrangle with long wave to find Sailing By of an evening in these days of Sat Nav and the web forecast services?

Then again those that do won't be reading this I guess :(

celtic lass
19-May-09, 11:48
Since arriving, I've become more interested in what's happening in Fair Isle but always seems to drift off into other thoughts before it comes around being as it's nearly last on the clock they use to go round the UK.

I wonder how many folk on boats out there still wrangle with long wave to find Sailing By of an evening in these days of Sat Nav and the web forecast services?

Then again those that do won't be reading this I guess :(
computers etc change everything dont they.My hubby is a fisherman and has a lot of weather sites stored on the computer and he always says they all give different forecasts for the same places,it just shows you not everything is for the better.Dont think there will be many that uses long wave but at saying that it might surprise you.

gleeber
19-May-09, 15:02
The shipping forecast is a national institution. It's like a familiar tune when I hear it on the radio. Like rain, the shipping forecast has the power to stop cricket. Test Match Special on radio 4 always goes over for the shipping forecast at 12 o clock.
I dunno why they canna put it off till 1 o clock when the cricket stops for lunch. :confused