PDA

View Full Version : Teachers: an Antithesis to MPs

Rheghead
17-May-09, 09:10
It is all too much often the case that teachers are using their own money to buy materials for use in schools because their school budgets do not cover what they would like to use to teach their pupils.

Do you think teachers should have to fork out with their own money to buy educational materials because there is too much pressure on them to get improvements to kid's grades?

:confused

EDDIE
17-May-09, 09:28
It is all too much often the case that teachers are using their own money to buy materials for use in schools because their school budgets do not cover what they would like to use to teach their pupils.

Do you think teachers should have to fork out with their own money to buy educational materials because there is too much pressure on them to get improvements to kid's grades?

:confused

A lot depends on what materials u are refering to is it materials that makes the teachers job easier but not a nessary thing to buy or is it materials that benifits the kids.
The reason im saying that is there is lot of other people in different jobs that buy there own personal tools or materials that aids them in there work which there place of work wont buy because its not a nessity.
When schools are on a tight budget its a good oportunity to involve kids and parents in raising money for the school its good thing and more constructive than a teacher using there own money to buy things.

Rheghead
17-May-09, 09:32
Things like books, paper, pens, crayons, paints etc.

joxville
17-May-09, 10:20
When schools are on a tight budget its a good oportunity to involve kids and parents in raising money for the school its good thing and more constructive than a teacher using there own money to buy things.

Schools are on a tight budget because of Government restraints, why should parents and teachers feel the need to raise cash, isn't that why we pay taxes? What happened to Blair's 'Education education education' pledge? Yet as we've seen recently there has been no end to Government looking after itself at our expense....and they seem to have no problem giving millions in overseas aid while our own people are largely ignored. For instance, did you know that we give £91M annually to Malawi, amongst others, money that could be used to better help at home. I'm all for charity but get our own house in order first.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/8102

Venture
17-May-09, 11:38
I think every teacher has their own style of teaching pupils. Some of them do buy additional items to help the pupils but that's something they do through choice not because they are forced to.

Parent Councils, or PTA's as they were formerly known as, do raise money to buy additional items. After fundraising an approach is made to the school to ask if there are any items that the teachers would like in addition to what the school provides. In the past I have seen things like arts and crafts items, learning aids, story books and stickers for a reward system being among the items they requested. Additional paints or crayons for a particular project the pupils are involved in can also be on the list. I do remember one PTA also providing a complete primary reading book scheme.

If the educational materials provided by the authority is not adequate enough to bring out the best in a child, then this is something that the teachers have to take up with the Head teacher. Providing it out of their own pockets is generous of them and shows their commitment to their pupils, but where will it stop. If we have one very generous teacher who provides additional items for her class and another who cannot afford to will we have a situation where our children's grades are dependent upon how generous the teacher is?

starry
17-May-09, 11:46
No I think it is completely unacceptable for teachers to feel pressured into buying essentials.

If they chose to then hats off to them, but the essentials should come out of the school budget.

If the teacher feels it is expected then they should take it up with the PTA or line managers.
As a parent I would not expect tools to teach my child to come out of their teachers pocket.

I worked in the NHS for many years, infact I left because it became all about the budget, but to me there is no difference from a nurse being asked to buy injections or dressings for patients to a teacher being asked to buy text books, pencils etc.

Ricco
22-May-09, 22:58
I am often buting resources, text books, and 'rewards' out of my own pocket. I also buy an air freshener for my room and one for the staff loo. We also take our own tea / coffee.

These MPs make me sick! Claiming for expenses is within bounds if it is MP business but many of these people are simply ripping off the state - ie you and me! [evil]

PS That's the first time ever that I have used the Mr Angry smilie.

EDDIE
22-May-09, 23:24
Since we are on the topic of schools being under funded dare i say but do u think some of the staff is overpaid especially headmasters could this be part of the problem.
If u look at the link below is advertisment for headmaster job with a salary of £70000 i dont think even the prime minister earns that is this acceptable?

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/webapps/jobs/jobDetails.asp?id=7019

Rheghead
22-May-09, 23:29
If u look at the link below is advertisment for headmaster job with a salary of £70000 i dont think even the prime minister earns that is this acceptable?

Is it acceptable? Good question and a good point of debate.

It is definitely a case of "Would I" Vs "Could I" do it for that amount of money. Probably no on all counts really so probably is 'acceptable'.

TBH
22-May-09, 23:40

:confusedIs there documented proof that this is the case. If so then it would be a disgrace for teachers to have to fork out to buy materials neccessary to facilitate a decent education.

Rheghead
22-May-09, 23:50
Is there documented proof that this is the case. If so then it would be a disgrace for teachers to have to fork out to buy materials neccessary to facilitate a decent education.

See Ricco's post.

Welcomefamily
22-May-09, 23:53
Perhaps a few less holidays and in service days and they would not need to use there own monies they also earn a fair amount so perhap we should have more class room assistants and a few less teachers

Rheghead
22-May-09, 23:56
Perhaps a few less holidays and in service days and they would not need to use there own monies they also earn a fair amount so perhap we should have more class room assistants and a few less teachers

Can you explain that please? Eh?:confused

crayola
22-May-09, 23:59

Why post something as speculative as this without checking it first? The prime minister's total salary entitlement is £194,250.

I found it here (http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/M06.pdf) in 10 seconds. The document doesn't state it explicitly but I suspect this doesn't include the cost of duck islands.

Even a lowly back-bench MP earns £63,291 + possible duck-island allowance.

EDDIE
23-May-09, 14:12
Why post something as speculative as this without checking it first? The prime minister's total salary entitlement is £194,250.

I found it here (http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/M06.pdf) in 10 seconds. The document doesn't state it explicitly but I suspect this doesn't include the cost of duck islands.

Even a lowly back-bench MP earns £63,291 + possible duck-island allowance.

Ok point taken but whats you opinion on a headmasters salary i thinks its crazy and are paid 2 much money for what they do compared to other proffesion example police officer that protects us a soldier that risk there life to protect our country

Tristan
23-May-09, 22:01
Since we are on the topic of schools being under funded dare i say but do u think some of the staff is overpaid especially headmasters could this be part of the problem.

Guessing at the number of staff but you are looking at someone managing around 300 people. I can't think of to many jobs that would pay that little to manage that many people.

Tristan
23-May-09, 22:03
Ok point taken but whats you opinion on a headmasters salary i thinks its crazy and are paid 2 much money for what they do compared to other proffesion example police officer that protects us a soldier that risk there life to protect our country

You are right soldiers are way underpaid and ill-equipped. Blame the government for that not the teachers.

crayola
24-May-09, 00:18

Guessing at the number of staff but you are looking at someone managing around 300 people. I can't think of to many jobs that would pay that little to manage that many people.
Tristan is absolutely right, the payment doesn't adequately reflect the responsibility. A large high school can have more than 1,00 pupils and a lot of teachers. The head's pay is higher for bigger schools.

Even if you wanted to you couldn't pay regular soldiers more than head teachers because either no-one would ever become a head teacher or you wouldn't be able to pay soldiers or both.

Do soldiers get paid more when they're in a war zone or on other dangerous duties?