PDA

View Full Version : looks like a seagull

weegie
13-May-09, 09:44
a bird landed in the field behind my house late last night , I could only describe it as having the build of a seagull and the same white/grey markings on the body . It had a yellow head and looked as if it was wearing a yellow olympic cycling helmet , I imagine it was a wading bird as it had a black webbed feet and walked like a wader . It looked slightly tropical and very out of place anyway ive just happened to glance over at the field and the bird has died who do I call to collect it ?

weegie
13-May-09, 09:44
a bird landed in the field behind my house late last night , I could only describe it as having the build of a seagull and the same white/grey markings on the body . It had a yellow head and looked as if it was wearing a yellow olympic cycling helmet , I imagine it was a wading bird as it had a black webbed feet and walked like a wader . It looked slightly tropical and very out of place anyway ive just happened to glance over at the field and the bird has died who do I call to collect it ?

Connor.
13-May-09, 09:48
My first thought would be Balmore. However, maybe the vets?

annthracks
13-May-09, 09:51
It looked slightly tropical and very out of place anyway ive just happened to glance over at the field and the bird has died who do I call to collect it ?

Approach from upwind and cremate it it... who knows what type of bio-contaminant the US government are now trying to spread in a remote area...

;););)

norscot
13-May-09, 11:10
Sounds like a Gannet.

Invisible
13-May-09, 13:39
Did it look like this?

Aaldtimer
13-May-09, 13:41
One of these? http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/gannet/index.asp :confused

r.rackstraw
13-May-09, 23:12
Could it be a Gannet. Occasionally they get grounded inland and cannot take off again from flat land.
Image can be seen here http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:SU8jhWyGMl41EM::upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Northern_Gannet_2006_2.jpg

weegie
13-May-09, 23:30
thats exactly what it was , thanks for your help in identifying it

hopper.65
18-May-09, 11:08
Why can't they take of from land? If they dive in sea they can fly off again.