PDA

View Full Version : Cats, cats and more ruddy cats.

porshiepoo
13-May-09, 09:41
How cheesed off am I!
This year I have built a high raised container to grow my carrots in as alot of them forked last year due to the stony ground.
Got the soil perfect for carrots and absolutely stone free. Sowed my first batch and waited for them to appear. Thinned them out to perfect spacings and last night I forgot to put the protective cloche on [evil]
But the weathers not bad enough for killing baby carrots you may say! I totally agree. The soil is lovely and warm. So warm in fact that one of the cats has taken great pleasure in digging a hole right on top of the carrots and crapping in it. [evil] What a lovely suprise that was this morning - NOT!

As much as I love these cats I could ruddy throttle them sometimes.
They generally live outside and have a cat house where they go to feed and sleep but because we live rurally, we also have an infestation of the wild cats, which happen to also use the cat house to eat us out of house and home. We really don't mind having them here, it's good to know that they're at least getting some food but this cat mess is massive (spaniel poop size) and it's getting irritating now.
The little blighters even got into the green house and decided to leave a parcel in my tomato bed. You wouldn't believe the inventions I've had to come up with to stop this.

Have any of you had similar probs? Any sure fire way to deter them? Other than the obvious. lol

Connor.
13-May-09, 10:11
Bottles of Water(with the label off(the 2 litre bottles) and if you have plenty of them surrounding. Also if you scatter alot of orange peel in and around the carrots it will hopefully also deter them.

Dadie
13-May-09, 21:56
Rubber snakes from the toy shop?
prickly / thorny twigs scattered around?
water pistol?

maverick
13-May-09, 22:06
land mines, razor wire and machineguns should do the trick.

Kevin Milkins
14-May-09, 00:38
LOL, that is just so annoying Porshipoo. When I lived down South I used to grow a lot of runner beans (about 2000 canes), but the good money was in getting the early crop and I used to go to all sorts of trouble to get the first beans on the market.

I had about 200 canes down to an early crop with cling film at the bottom of the sticks to give the young plants protection from any late frost and wind.
Something I developed to give seeds that where planted out in the field was to put the canes up and dib a hole at each cane with the pointed end of a fence stake and fill the hole with compost before planting the seed.This gave the seed the best possible start and reduced labour with transplanting plants that were started in the green house.

I was checking how the young plants were progressing and noticed a few plants on the top of the ground and was mystified at first as to what was going on until I scooped out the compost in one hole to transplant a disturbed plant and got a load of cat poo under my finger nails.

It soon became obvious that our neighbour’s cat had found some “easy digging” to do his business, but it didn’t take much effort to dissuade him to stop.

Tom Cornwall
03-Jun-09, 14:53
[

It soon became obvious that our neighbour’s cat had found some “easy digging” to do his business, but it didn’t take much effort to dissuade him to stop.

What did you do??..we've bought those cat repellant ultrasound things..they don't seem to have much effect...'lions roar' dung is ok for a short time but the cats soon learn that there is no lion here...pepper gets washed away with the rain...so what did you do?
please tell us

Kevin Milkins
03-Jun-09, 22:25
What did you do??..we've bought those cat repellant ultrasound things..they don't seem to have much effect...'lions roar' dung is ok for a short time but the cats soon learn that there is no lion here...pepper gets washed away with the rain...so what did you do?
please tell us

Both barrels of a twelve bore shotgun did the trick.:eek:

Only joking.lol:lol: I am much too big an animal lover to hurt them, but they can be a pain in the backside though.
My field had a big headland and the cat needed to cross open ground before he could strutt his stuff in amongst my beans so every time he was in the open I would launch a sod of earth at him.

It brought him no harm and he soon got the message and stoped calling.:Razz

Aaldtimer
04-Jun-09, 02:50
There's a thing you can use if you are vigilant. can't remember what it's called, but used effectively, can PULT a CAT about 3 feet vertically and 3 feet horizontally at one application!;)

Anji
04-Jun-09, 11:03
every time he was in the open I would launch a sod of earth at him.

It brought him no harm and he soon got the message and stoped calling.:Razz

I'm pestered by cats as well, but could never harm an animal.

I chuck anything that comes to hand at my tormentors (don't worry, I'm a rotten shot!) but they still don't seem to get the message.

sanka2112
07-Jun-09, 23:22
a supersoaker in the lug

kitty kat
08-Jun-09, 11:38
lemon and oranges

i put some flowers under my living room window and one night sat there with the window open smelt the most horride smell (dirty beast it was my own cat to )

in the watering can i put a sliced up lemon and orange to let the water have a nice fresh smell then put the peel all over the patch of ground she never did again because she got the peel stuck under her nail and had to lick it out [lol]

bky
08-Jun-09, 12:08
I got stuff from yon place out by homebase - Canna mind what it was called - It was green with silver flakes in it, worked a treat, Think it was about £6-7 for the bottle

sjr014
08-Jun-09, 16:01
we've bought those cat repellant ultrasound things

Where do you buy those from?? I wouldnt mind trying them. Got a lovely front garden that would be fine for my little one to play out in except for the cat poo. So annoying and ive tried the bottles, garlic, pepper, citrus peel the stuff from Homebase and none of those work!

tommytool
08-Jun-09, 21:42
a supersoaker in the lug

come on min e water hose diz e trick[evil]