PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 problems

jmmcd
06-May-09, 22:07
Sometimes there are 3 red lights lit on the main switch on the console, (there have been 4 red lights once or twice aswell) sometimes it seems to load fine then within 1 to 2 minutes gets stuck and the lights come back on.

Don't really want to attempt fixing any hardware problems myself....... Is there a a good repair place I can put it to in Caithess?

angusk2
07-May-09, 01:02
if it 3 red lights(RING OF DEATH) contact microsoft and tell them they will arrange for a courier to pick it up and they will fix it free of charge doesnt matter if its out off warranty its a hardware fault i've had mine fixed twice now first time it was still in warranty that problem was it was'nt loading games and second time out of warranty 3 red lights fixed both times with no charge even the courier is free i will hunt the number out and post it here for you

EDDIE
07-May-09, 07:02
If its out of warranty is the ring of death not caused by poor design of overheating and solder joints comming loose?
Xbox is a good consule but there is a problem with the consule going faulty

jmmcd
07-May-09, 09:10
if it 3 red lights(RING OF DEATH) contact microsoft and tell them they will arrange for a courier to pick it up and they will fix it free of charge doesnt matter if its out off warranty its a hardware fault i've had mine fixed twice now first time it was still in warranty that problem was it was'nt loading games and second time out of warranty 3 red lights fixed both times with no charge even the courier is free i will hunt the number out and post it here for you

Thanks. I will do that, if you know the number thats even better! Cheers.

bish667
07-May-09, 09:28
Assistance by phone:
0800 587 1102
or +44 20 7365 9792 from a mobile phone
Hearing Impaired (TTY device):
0800 587 1103
Hours of operation:
Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
Saturday: 09:00-20:00
Sunday: 09:00-17:00

There is a 3 year warranty cover on the ring of death :)

angusk2
07-May-09, 10:30
If its out of warranty is the ring of death not caused by poor design of overheating and solder joints comming loose?
Xbox is a good consule but there is a problem with the consule going faulty

nah the ring of death is not an over heating fault not sure myself what it is but over heating is 2 red lights mine had this problem for about 6months,it would overheat after 3-5mins of use,used to set it in the window then open the window to play it.got sick of freezing late at night playing Call of Duty so phoned microsoft told them problem and they wanted £60 odd to fix it so i done some research on the net and found some one with the same problem, followed his advice(take it apart and give it a good clean) and it works perfect, I nearly died with shock when i seen the amount of dust/dirt that came out.best part is i never had to break the seal as microsoft did this on my previous fix so if any thing goes wrong again back of to microsoft as long as its free!!:lol:

jmmcd
07-May-09, 13:36
Thanks very much for that! Awaiting a shipping label to be sent to me via email. Hope I get the console fixed soon or my husband will be having withdrawals symptoms!! :D

angusk2
07-May-09, 15:27
its usually around 2-3 weeks you'll probably find the courier will be here tommorow

M R
07-May-09, 19:11
The ring of death is caused by over heating, can be motherboard failure due to the solder connections melting away from the board, this is the most common failure of the 360.

Out of interest JMMCD, how old is you 360 ? i just wonder because i have had mine fixed 2 times for free also, but i have a feeling it won't last forever and wonder if i can wangle another free repair (when the red lights come again)..

Cheers

Last repair took just under 2 weeks for me, suppose it depends how busy they are.

A_Usher
07-May-09, 19:20
The ring of death is caused by over heating, can be motherboard failure due to the solder connections melting away from the board, this is the most common failure of the 360.

Out of interest JMMCD, how old is you 360 ? i just wonder because i have had mine fixed 2 times for free also, but i have a feeling it won't last forever and wonder if i can wangle another free repair (when the red lights come again)..

Cheers

Last repair took just under 2 weeks for me, suppose it depends how busy they are.

We are on our 9th 360, we have a PS3 (original batch, better hardware) and the over heating is a common 360 problem. Over on my gamer forum maturegamer.co.uk everyone is pretty much on number 2 or 3, and microsoft have extended the warranty on RROD to 3 years as its a known problem.

Andrew

jmmcd
09-May-09, 20:15
We have had the 360 for just over a year. The normal warranty had run out but they have a 3 year warranty for the 3 red light thing! Awaiting pickup for Tuesday so hopefully will be fixed soon..... It goes to germany!!

Wish I had spent a little more now and got a ps3 instead, especially if the xbox is going to have this problem again in the future :mad:

ShelleyCowie
12-May-09, 21:22
Me and my OH are on our 3rd Xbox 360. (we have 1 each to save fighting)

We had three red lights on one of ours, came back saying it was hardware fault and they changed the disk drive.

Plugged it all back in to play it, BAM red lights again. They forgot to put the fan back in so it was over heating right away!

Luckily we keep a spare 360 eh! That was 5 weeks without that one!

We have a PS3 aswell and to me i prefer the 360!

bish667
14-May-09, 09:40
Wish I had spent a little more now and got a ps3 instead, especially if the xbox is going to have this problem again in the future :mad:

I would comment on that but then it would start a PS3/360 war :lol: