PDA

View Full Version : More people can give blood

Fran
06-May-09, 15:48
Great news that diabetics and people with hypertension can now donate blood.
People with type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure are now allowed to donate blood under revised NHS guidelines. If you take tablets for the conditions, are otherwise fit and healthy and have registered by your 67th birthday, you can donate blood until after you have reached 70.
Visit www.scotblood.co.uk (http://www.scotblood.co.uk)

Vistravi
06-May-09, 16:06
Thats good Kodiak. The more the better.

Kodiak
06-May-09, 16:10
Thats good Kodiak. The more the better.

I am confused I didn't post this it was Fran :D

Vistravi
06-May-09, 16:13
Whoops sorry Kodiak.

Only realised my mistake. Must remember to re read posts before replying :eek:

bish667
06-May-09, 16:19
least that still gives me an excuse not to give blood being a type 1 :lol:

bekisman
06-May-09, 18:35
As a donor who had to stop because of high blood pressure, it's good to read that the rules have changed - I'll be going back! - bit surprised (as psoriasis is a recent thread) that "Those who may be deferred include: Anyone who has taken Tegison for psoriasis" http://www.aabb.org/Content/Donate_Blood/Blood_Donation_FAQs/ (http://www.aabb.org/Content/Donate_Blood/Blood_Donation_FAQs/)

And from Scotblood:

Can I still donate if I have high blood pressure?
Yes, if your blood pressure in under control and within the limits set in the donation guidelines.SNBTS constantly review donor selection criteria, and the upper age limit for regular Blood donors is to be removed from 1 January 2009. New measures have also been put in place to allow donors on medication for High Blood Pressure and diabetes to give blood. Our records show that up to 5,000 donors may now be able to come back to give blood again in Scotland as a result of these changes. This is very welcome news and we’d like to ask everyone affected to return and give blood as soon as possible but given the scale of the decline, this simply is not enough – we urgently need more new donors in 2009”

lynne duncan
06-May-09, 23:13
i didn't realise that the blood donor unit was in the assembly rooms yesterday until i wen in wih my daughter for a majorette practise, so after i put her into the practise, i went down to stick my nose in. I've always fancied doing it but never found the time before (poor excuse i know). anyway thought i would register but low and behold the nurse i got says theres plenty of time to register you and have your blood taken before the weeone was done of her practise. so within 10 mins of entering the hall i was lying down on the table waiting for the needle to enter my arm. was slightly apprehensive but it wasn't sore, but halfway hrough i my head started spinning, so they shouted the nurse over and i got fanned. thankfully that passed and the rest of the blood was collected. then went to get my cuppa and low and behold no sooner had i got my bum on the seat and my head went swimming again, so back to the couch for me. but it passed again quite soon. Wen and got weeone and off home i went. will be back the next time and hopefully head won't play up.
but yahoo i have done my first one which i'm proud of , as i've always wanted to do it - another thing to strike off my to do list

ShelleyCowie
06-May-09, 23:20
I have been wanting to donate blood. But they wont take mines! :~(

Fran
07-May-09, 02:16
good on you Lynn, well done. Your blood pressure obviously went too low so they would have made a note for next time so that it doesn't happen again. Maybe you got up too quickly. Thats great that you have given blood for the first time, hope you will do it many many more times. There is a shortage of blood but so many people need it. In wick alone many people go in for a blood transfusion then go home again.They could have cancer or be very anemic. Some people with rare blood group can get a phone call to go up the hospital there and then to donate blood for a waiting patient.

Another good site is www.blood.co.uk (http://www.blood.co.uk)

and the one i gave earlier www.scotblood.co.uk

percy toboggan
07-May-09, 19:26
The NHS are a bit tight with blood I found!

I could have done with a couple of pints t'other week but they made me soldier on without it. In retrospect I'm quite pleased to still be fired up with 100% toboggan but I'd not have blanched at the thought of an infusion.

Fran
08-May-09, 00:50
You can also donate your own blood for yourself if you are having surgey and have been told you may require a transfusion. You can go into the hospital a few days beforehand and give your blood.

joxville
08-May-09, 07:34
The NHS are a bit tight with blood I found!

I could have done with a couple of pints t'other week but they made me soldier on without it. In retrospect I'm quite pleased to still be fired up with 100% toboggan but I'd not have blanched at the thought of an infusion.

A lucky escape percy, you could have received the blood from a gay, coloured foreigner-oh, the horror!! [lol]

grumpy1
08-May-09, 09:11
People with type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure are now allowed to donate blood under revised NHS guidelines. If you take tablets for the conditions, are otherwise fit and healthy and have registered by your 67th birthday, you can donate blood until after you have reached 70.

is there any news on people who have had a blood transfusions being allowed to give blood...ive tried before and been refused on the grounds i had a transfusion in 1999

badger
08-May-09, 09:50

Update on that Fran. I went to the Wick session this week and mentioned that I didn't have much longer to donate. Not so - apparently the 70 age limit no longer applies so they must be pretty desperate. Bonus is you get an MoT every time after age 65.

I know that they want as much as poss. but do wonder whether some people think about the time they arrive to donate. I got there around 3.0 and for the first time ever there was no-one in the chairs where you sit and wait. The session is supposed to close between 4.0 and 5.0, presumably to give the staff a bit of a break which they richly deserve as they have to carry on then until 8.30 and are not allowed a drink or anything. People were piling in just before 4.0 so the chairs were full and I imagine many staff had barely 5 mins. before they were due to start again. They can't complain - they need the donors - so may I on their behalf ask people to arrive in good time before the session is due to close if at all possible.

percy toboggan
08-May-09, 09:52
A lucky escape percy, you could have received the blood from a gay, coloured foreigner-oh, the horror!! [lol]

A predictable response from the boards chief humourist.
Self appointed.

Your attempt at a cheap laugh does hold within a serious point.
I understand there are restrictions on openly decalred homosexuals
giving blood. I also remember there was a minor controversy on this very board on the subject last year.

Joxville: Would you welcome blood from 'a gay, coloured foreigner' ?
Just wondering if you can provide a serious answer for once.

Sapphire2803
08-May-09, 09:56

A gay coloured foreigner? One with lots of pretty colours? Would they have gay coloured blood?

Oh wait.... I missed the comma.

*Goes off to sit on the naughty step*

joxville
08-May-09, 10:16
A predictable response from the boards chief humourist.
Self appointed.

Your attempt at a cheap laugh does hold within a serious point.
I understand there are restrictions on openly decalred homosexuals
giving blood. I also remember there was a minor controversy on this very board on the subject last year.

Joxville: Would you welcome blood from 'a gay, coloured foreigner' ?
Just wondering if you can provide a serious answer for once.

I'd welcome blood from anyone if it would save my life....though I daresay there are many on here who would be squeezing the line to restrict the flow-you wouldn't have to suffer my drivel again. :D

That's about as serious as I can be today.

George Brims
08-May-09, 18:43
will be back the next time and hopefully head won't play up.
When I was a student and later worked in the University of Edinburgh they used to come to the Student Union gym. I used to give regularly then. Word of advice - don't play squash for an hour, give blood, drink three pints of Export, then try to cycle home. Passing out in traffic can be hazardous. Anyway one afternoon the lady had just put the needle in my arm when a bunch of workers from the building site next door got up from donating (there was a very pretty girl stationed outside the door of the Union bar, intercepting people with leaflets, and she got about twenty of them in one go). The biggest and loudest proclaimed he wasn't having any tea and digestive, he was going for a pint. The lady smiled and said "Watch this." Sure enough, he didn't even make it to the door. Ker-plunk!

PS I can't give any more because I'm in the US and they're worried about mad cows.

Fran
09-May-09, 02:27
Have you noticed when people put ads in papers thanking doctors, surgeons, nurses, etc for their care when they were in hospital, none of them ever mention a thankyou to blood donors. Yet without the blood donors they would not be able to have surgery. Same with babies gettting blood.
I had a big transfusion in Edinburgh some years ago and made sure I thanked the blood donors who donated blood which saved my life.

Shabbychic
09-May-09, 11:31
My hubbie has O negative blood and was always in demand before we came up here. The problem is, we stay remote and he depends on me to drive him, which I am not always able to do due to ME/CFS. :~(

I myself am AB positive, but can't give blood as I have very low blood pressure and often almost pass out just giving a blood sample.

Fran
10-May-09, 02:10
I'm sure if you contacted the blood transfusion centre they would arrange transport for your husband. They are based at Raigmore hospital, Inverness.