PDA

View Full Version : England poo poohs wind......

landmarker
04-Mar-06, 00:48
Another huge wind farm project is given the thumbs down.
Rightly so in my relatively uninformed opinion. I only have a smattering of the subject but surely these wind farms are just a sticking plaster - a green one at that.

Diversify to nuclear and develop clean coal. I'm really aching to buy some shares in UK Coal (they own all the deep mined stuff that's left) and seem an essential part of UKplc's energy portfolio. £1.55 today,£1.49 yesterday. They can only rise - mark my words.If only I could persuade my wife. The problem with joint decisions is that they are, er......joint.

porshiepoo
04-Mar-06, 00:49
Jeez don't get me started on this one again! :Razz

abalone
04-Mar-06, 00:55
Another huge wind farm project is given the thumbs down.
Rightly so in my relatively uninformed opinion. I only have a smattering of the subject but surely these wind farms are just a sticking plaster - a green one at that.

Diversify to nuclear and develop clean coal. I'm really aching to buy some shares in UK Coal (they own all the deep mined stuff that's left) and seem an essential part of UKplc's energy portfolio. £1.55 today,£1.49 yesterday. They can only rise - mark my words.If only I could persuade my wife. The problem with joint decisions is that they are, er......joint.

I read recently that an M.P[can't remember who] is sticking one of those windmill things on his house.What I can't understand is why new builds aren't made to have solar panels,they all seem to have water meters.

Rheghead
04-Mar-06, 00:56
I used to be vehemently Pro-wind farm then the same anti-windfarm. I am now objectively middle for diddle, if you haven't been through a roller coaster ride of differing opinion on windfarms then you haven't really thought about the issue.

2little2late
04-Mar-06, 00:59
I read recently that an M.P[can't remember who] is sticking one of those windmill things on his house.What I can't understand is why new builds aren't made to have solar panels,they all seem to have water meters.

I have thought this myself. Surely solar power is the most environment friendly of all.

landmarker
04-Mar-06, 01:22
I have thought this myself. Surely solar power is the most environment friendly of all.

This would be useless in the Manchester area. We get so very little sun.
GB has 300 years worth of coal deep in our bowels. Let's clean it up and have a burn. Stuff the Russians and Gazprom. Build three or four newks on the edges, and let's all keep warm in winter eh?

Rheghead
04-Mar-06, 02:17
and let's all keep warm in winter eh?

If we keep on burning fossil fuels then we may mitigate quite a lot of fossil fuel useage through global warming.

ywindy
06-Mar-06, 00:21
Jeez don't get me started on this one again! :Razz

Sorry Porshiepoo, its not going away!

Right now in Caithness there are windfarm planning applications in for Baillie, South Shebster, Dunbeath, Camster, and Stroupster Windfarms.
Lieurary has been rejected and has appealed. This week the reporter from the Scottish Executive came up to see Caithness in the mist to see how bad it would be. Borrowstone was turned down, appealed, rejected and taken to the Court of Sessions, and a decision will be made soon.
This week a planning application was lodged for four more turbines at Forss.
Out there, intimated to the Council, and could come back at anytime, are Scoolary, Burn of Whilk( Yarrows), Bilbster, Ackron, Durran, and Spittal Hill Windfarms and possibly more but I can't remember them all at the moment.
There are also a lot of planning applications for anemometer masts which come before windfarms.
Sorry
ywindy
PS Ormlie are threatening a wind GARDEN at Shebster as well.Whether Shebster likes it or not!
y

golach
06-Mar-06, 01:57
This would be useless in the Manchester area. We get so very little sun.
GB has 300 years worth of coal deep in our bowels. Let's clean it up and have a burn. Stuff the Russians and Gazprom. Build three or four newks on the edges, and let's all keep warm in winter eh?
Burning fossil fuel is not the answer, IMHO wind power and wave power is the answer

badger
06-Mar-06, 18:40
Tidal power would be much more reliable than wind (we've actually had very little wind up here this winter and I live in one of the windiest spots) and much less obtrusive. There was a cold period recently when there was no wind at all for days - what then?

What I don't understand is why our building regs. are so out of date. Insulation requirements are not good enough and every new build should have some kind of energy source according to its location - whether it's a small turbine, solar panels, heat sink, etc. There are so many options yet we carry on building outdated extravagant houses/offices/Parliaments(!!!). Mad [mad]

Our council is trying to limit energy waste by turning off computers overnight etc. This should be normal policy everywhere. Overheated houses, public buildings and offices, lights left on, TVs on standby, computers humming away - if everyone was really energy conscious we could save masses of energy and money. I stayed in a B&B in Inverness the other night and the owner seemed concerned my room was not warm enough. He was wearing a short sleeved cotton shirt so I told him I was fine because I was wearing winter clothes. It didn't register but it seems normal these days to wear summer clothes all year and overheat the building.

lasher
06-Mar-06, 21:22
IMHO, Nuclear power is the future, the only reliable clean energy source.:o

Whitewater
06-Mar-06, 21:39
The only way forward is via nuclear power and hydro schemes, tidal power would be good as well, and also solar panels which could be installed into all new buildings, and if the new buildings were erected using lots energy efficient materials they would be self sufficient. There are already several houses of this type in existance. I think there is one in Orkney.

Windmills at their best are only 20% efficient, a few years ago nobody in their right mind would have considered them, you just would not have got planning permission. How things have changed, the only people that will get any good out of them are the land owners who really don't give a hoot about the rest of us, the environment or the local landscape.

JAWS
06-Mar-06, 21:59
Follyrood is more energy wasting than twelve months ago.
Scotland has some of the least energy efficient buildings in Europe and those owned by Councils are apparently the worst offenders.
A lot of energy could be saved by offering grants for installing energy saving devices.

Of course, there are problems with that,
If you use less energy then you will have to pay for less.
If there is an excess of Energy over requirements the price drops.
If the price drops the Energy Companies make less money.
If the Energy Companies make less money then they pay less Tax.
You use less energy then you pay less VAT.

Energy efficiency costs the Government money.

Don't save Energy just provide more and more, it keeps the Treasury in Happyland!