PDA

View Full Version : Moon Walk - Good Luck

laguna2
30-Apr-09, 09:16
Good luck to everyone who is taking part in the Moon Walk in Edinburgh on 20/21 June .... hope you all raise loads of money!

The org's very own "wifie" and her friends are taking part - but are there any other orgers out there doing it too?

What about the Race for Life which is on all over Scotland ... who is taking part in that?

Good luck to you all .... you are raising money for a wonderful cause!

golach
30-Apr-09, 09:24
Good Luck to wifie and her team, hope you succeed in raising lots for such a worthy cause

marlyn
30-Apr-09, 09:54
I am doing the Highland Hospice Moonlight Meander on 30th May, which starts at 10pm and is a 10 mile walk through forestry starting at Brodie Castle.

Anne x
30-Apr-09, 10:00
Good Luck Wifie and everyone who is doing one walk or the other for Charity

laguna2
30-Apr-09, 16:31
I am doing the Highland Hospice Moonlight Meander on 30th May, which starts at 10pm and is a 10 mile walk through forestry starting at Brodie Castle.

That sounds good! Best of luck to you!

golach
30-Apr-09, 23:49
Bumping this up, we need sponsors

butterfly
01-May-09, 03:19
Good luck Wifie ,Marlyn and everyone else who is doing their bit for charity.

horseman
01-May-09, 05:42
Wifie an all +Marlyn lovely to see you all put the effort in for your charities.
How do i subscribe to them?

laguna2
01-May-09, 14:37
Wifie an all +Marlyn lovely to see you all put the effort in for your charities.
How do i subscribe to them?

If you don't know someone who is taking part in one of the fundraising events go to the following site:

http://www.walkthewalk.org/Home

Scroll down to the bottom of that page - Click on DONATE - you will see how you donate.

Hope this helps.

wifie
01-May-09, 15:40
If anyone should wish to sponsor me just PM me for details and Thank you very much on behalf of Walk the Walk.

laguna2
06-May-09, 09:56
Just to remind everyone that you can still donate ..................

miller30
06-May-09, 10:42
my daughter who is 10 signed up for the race for life with her granny, she organised it all by herself with the help of her granny. i am so proud of her she has managed to get over £500 in sponsor money with a little help from her dad and his crew on the rig, family and friends.

she is so excited about sunday.

good luck to anyone eles who is taking part on sunday

:Razz

golach
06-May-09, 14:45
If anyone should wish to sponsor me just PM me and Thank you very much on behalf of Walk the Walk.
Well done Wifie, I will be thinking of you on the day, you have put a lot of effort and training into this, so I hope you get many sponsors from the Org.

TRUCKER
06-May-09, 19:42
yes well done wifie we are all very proud of you love from ur org mates

wifie
06-May-09, 22:35
Thank you to all Orgers who have sponsored me already - you really are a VERY generous lot! I shall be thinkin about you in my hours yomping round Edinburgh in an effort to raise money. I have been putting in the hours training and am thoroughly enjoying them (esp now that I have my new best friends! ;)).

I know some of you thought my view on fund raising via the Org was to not ask but I was badgered cajolled into creating my online link and feel bad now as who was I to deprive the charity? Although it is Walk the Walk Worldwide the charity says that all money raised on the Edinburgh Moonwalk stays in Scotland.

A huge well done to all Orgers (and their relatives) who are raising awareness and funds by doin a sponsored something. I hope you are enjoying yourselves as much as I am and that your events go well! :D

horseman
07-May-09, 08:08
Millar30, a big very well done to your 10 year old:) an her nan,:) what a fine example of youth! May she carry it with her for ever more.:D

laguna2
07-May-09, 09:53
my daughter who is 10 signed up for the race for life with her granny, she organised it all by herself with the help of her granny. i am so proud of her she has managed to get over £500 in sponsor money with a little help from her dad and his crew on the rig, family and friends.

she is so excited about sunday.

good luck to anyone eles who is taking part on sunday

:Razz

Well done to your daughter! She will have a great day at the same time as raising money for a great charity!

A really good example of what the youngsters can do!

miller30
07-May-09, 20:35
thanks horseman and laguna2,

i am really proud of her she has lost a few close members off her family to cancer and it is something that she really wants to do for the charity.

golach
09-May-09, 23:56
Bump, just bumping this good cause up the forum once more, sponsors are welcome :)

golach
13-May-09, 09:29
a little bump.....

golach
25-May-09, 00:15
ouch, another bump, wifie needs more sponsors:)

scottygirl
25-May-09, 08:45
I did the moonwalk last year, all 26.2 miles of it.
It really is an achievement!!! It helped me to know that the money I raised all stayed here in Scotland.
Wifie, good luck, take something warm, it was freezing last year about 2am and I found that taping my toes up with Zinc oxide tape saved me from having any blisters come the end of the walk. One tip that I would definetly pass on there!!!
I am working this year and can't attend but you will have a ball and the reactions from the crowd as you pass them, even at 3, 4, and 5 in the morning brought tears to our eyes.
Enjoy the experience, Edinburgh at night is wonderful!!!!
Good Luck!!!

starry
25-May-09, 10:09
Good luck xx

Take fresh socks, I have done a few moonwalks and fresh socks and a spray of leg/foot cooler are what have got me through.

It is an amazing sense of achievement when you cross the line and get your medal.

Have a great night.

wifie
25-May-09, 16:38
Scottygirl and starry thank you so much for your encouragement! I am really looking forward to it as I have had nothing but positives from folk like yourselves! I have been enjoying the training and will be doing my 20 miler this weekend! I am walking with a group of women, 11 strong, hailing from Inverness to Coventry! I think the finish is gonna be hugely emotional for many reasons!

Thank you too to the many Orgers who have sponsored me so far - I am truly bowled over guys! :D

starry
25-May-09, 16:43
I cried for ages when I finished, everytime.

It is emotional and a real achievement.
I may not enjoy every step but you will love the last half dozen ;)

golach
25-May-09, 20:14
I am walking with a group of women, from Inverness to Coventry! I think the finish is gonna be hugely emotional for many reasons!

Wow Wifie and I thought it was only 26 miles you were attempting, but Inverness to Coventry will take you ages [lol]

starry
25-May-09, 20:33
Yes think you may more than couple pairs of fresh socks to get you through that :confused;)

wifie
25-May-09, 22:31
Yer a cheeky pair! I have duly amended my post - but you knew what I meant anyway! :Razz

wifie
30-May-09, 22:27
Well guess who chose the hottest day of the year (so far!) to do her longest walk before the big night!

My sister-in-law and I completed 23 miles in 7 hours today! We might have done it a bit faster but it was scorchin!

We had a ball tho as we wore the t-shirts and hats provided by "walk the walk" and we got some funny comments and some great encouragement!

Only three weeks to go! :D

starry
30-May-09, 22:38
That is a great time Wifie well done xx

One thing I found a problem was having to walk at a slower pace than I am used to because of the sheer numbers of people walking.
I really struggled the first few miles until the numbers thinned out.

wifie
30-May-09, 22:41
Aye worried about that too starry! :eek: Will be nice to start slowly but I think it might be a pain - not to mention addin time to our walk!

starry
30-May-09, 22:46
I think your walk times will be a lot longer than your training times, I walk very fast and was very fit but my times were well over two hours than my times here.

If you add in the slower times for the other people walking plus queuing for toilets, sometimes up to 20 minutes :eek:
On the last one we actually stopped for a picnic at 13 miles, a friend came and met us with flasks of tea and sandwiches :lol:

wifie
30-May-09, 22:48
Oh man! Goin by today - tea and a piece would be fantastic!!! I just don't like eatin sweet stuff goin round! Wonder how many sandwiches I could get in a bum bag! I was takin fig rolls but feel something else would be better! LOL!

golach
30-May-09, 22:49
Well done, Wifie, best of luck, I am sure you will do well.

wifie
30-May-09, 22:51
Thank you golach! :D

starry
30-May-09, 23:03
If I remember rightly there was a garage open where a lot of folk bought hot drinks, again the queues were long.

I am excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it.
Take lots of photos

wifie
30-May-09, 23:07
Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! No photos! LOL! Not plannin to queue for anything - including the loo! ;)

starry
30-May-09, 23:17
Plenty bushes, but go in pairs, sorry if that sounds patronising but so many folk would take off on their own to pee, I think because of the atmosphere it is easy to forget you are in the middle of a city in the wee small hours.

wifie
30-May-09, 23:21
Starry! I thought the unwritten rule was that women always go in pairs! [lol]

Kevin Milkins
31-May-09, 01:03
Starry! I thought the unwritten rule was that women always go in pairs!

Yer, why do they do that?:confused

Mind you don't over do it wifie and burn yourself out before the big day.:lol: Remember I have got 50p on it.;)

wifie
31-May-09, 01:06
Yer, why do they do that?

Mind you don't over do it wifie and burn yourself out before the big day. Remember I have got 50p on it.;)

We canna tell you Kev - we would have to keel you! [lol]

Aye where is this 50p? :confused

marlyn
31-May-09, 20:31
Not quite Wifies's 26.2 miles but I completed my 10 mile Moonlight Meander for the Highland Hospice last night at Brodie Castle - it was roasting for the whole walk, we started at 10 pm and we finished bang on 1 am. Was great fun walking through forestry in the dark, was really smart to look back and see a ribbon of glow stick necklaces as far as the eye could see.

Godluck Wifie, 10 miles was enough for me, the first total we were given for last night was £51,500!

wifie
31-May-09, 20:39
Fantastic Marlyn - that sounds great fun! Apparently we need torches for some of it too! :eek: Well done you!!! Hey when I started this milarkey 10 miles was a biggy for me!

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND ALL THE OTHER MOONLIT MEANDERERS! :D

golach
09-Jun-09, 22:23
Bump bump[lol]

Moira
09-Jun-09, 23:00
Wishing Wifie all the bestl I would never sponsor someone I did not know personally. Maybe next year.........

wifie
09-Jun-09, 23:06
Thanks for yer good wishes Moira - all encouragement and comments mean a lot to me! :D

Moira
09-Jun-09, 23:45
You are welcome. I'm quite proficient in the English language thanks. You don't have to drop your usual guard in order to converse with me lol

wifie
09-Jun-09, 23:47
You are welcome. I'm quite proficient in the English language thanks. You don't have to drop your usual guard in order to converse with me lol

Sorry?

I meant what I just said - I am delighted that folk have come on this thread and just commented about walking, moonwalking or just encouraged. It genuinely means a lot!

golach
09-Jun-09, 23:51
Wishing Wifie all the bestl I would never sponsor someone I did not know personally. Maybe next year.........
I have met Wifie and I sponsored her, I have sponsored other Orgers and I have not met them yet, I do not need to have met someone to sponsor them, but maybe one day I will meet them. Got a Scrabster cousin joining you, she now lives in Shetland

Bobinovich
09-Jun-09, 23:58
All the best Wifie - your Orger friends are very proud of you :D

Anne x
10-Jun-09, 00:05
All the best Wifie - your Orger friends are very proud of you :D

Ditto from Aberdeenshire and good luck to other pals doing the moonwalk

Moira
10-Jun-09, 00:16
Sorry?
I meant what I just said - I am delighted that folk have come on this thread and just commented about walking, moonwalking or just encouraged. I genuinely means a lot!

Yes, me too and good luck wifie. I support the cause but will not support you individually, simply because I do not know you.

wifie
10-Jun-09, 00:19
Yes, me too and good luck wifie. I support the cause but will not support you individually, simply because I do not know you.

Thank you once more Moira but I would like you to explain yer previous post as to me it implies that I hide behind something on here. Anything I post on here is genuine.

Moira
10-Jun-09, 00:30
Thank you once more Moira but I would like you to explain yer previous post as to me it implies that I hide behind something on here. Anything I post on here is genuine.

I have no idea what you are getting at but let me go back and look.

Moira
10-Jun-09, 01:10
Are you trying to "tawk" to me in Caithness Dialect whilst not actually grasping the concept?

wifie
10-Jun-09, 01:23
Moira, on here as in real life I switch between Caithness dialect and more proper english as the situation dictates. I just felt yer reply was snippit and required explanation - you have now explained. I would like to point out tho that I did say this which wasn't very proper, "Thanks for yer good wishes Moira". Not sure they use "yer" on the ten o' clock news! ;)

Venture
10-Jun-09, 07:20
Well wifie the fact that I haven't met you personally, yet,;) didn't come in to it when I decided to sponsor you after golach let us all know that you were taking part. I feel I've got to "know" what a truly genuine person you are through my contact with you on the board and in chat and felt that the least I could do was to try and help you achieve your goal. Every little helps. I also have the greatest admiration for any individual who choses to walk, especially 26 miles, in order to raise money for such a worthwhile cause as breast cancer. Have a great time and here's hoping your blisters are few.:lol:

percy toboggan
10-Jun-09, 07:41
Good Luck to all taking part - especially wifey and the other '.org'rs.

I could do with a sponsor myself at the moment but hope you raise lots
of money.

People like you and your fellow walkers can make a difference.

wifie
10-Jun-09, 09:31
Thank you all for the lovely messages of support - I think I did say I am doin the Moonwalk cos of a friend who has had breast cancer askin me to join her team. I am emotional reading this thread so I don't know what I will be like on the night. It makes my mortification at wanderin around Edinburgh in a decorated bra really rather pathetic. (I was goin to say small potatoes but that would have given you the wrong impression of me [lol] ;) sorry for the inuendo but I am gettin to the stage that if you can't beat them you join them). It's funny but this really is (in the best words of reality tv) a bit of a journey! Thank you to anyone who has sponsored or commented for makin the journey!!!

wifie
19-Jun-09, 14:57
Hope this isn't too late for the ones coming down from Thurso!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MOONWALKERS

ENJOY!!!

golach
20-Jun-09, 00:30
Wife you are gonna be in good comany two Thusra lassigies, one who now lives all 'e way north in Zetland, and her daughter a born Tea'in a bowla are both doing 'e half marathon, well done till ye all

Margaret M.
20-Jun-09, 02:59
Good for you and best of luck, Wifie!