PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Martial Arts training session, Sunday 03/05/09

A_Usher
27-Apr-09, 13:54
This is for everyone who has been emailing me about MMA training.

So, ive planned a session, this Sunday, at Dunbeath Hall, 2.5 - 3 hours intro training to MMA.
This will be an informal get together, very laid back etc.

If you want to come can you either PM me or email me at andrew@dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

If there is a good enough number then ill consider regular training sessions.
No time wasters please.

This is will be an adults class, over 16. Suitable for all fitness lessons and experience. It doesnt matter if you have no experience or lots of experience in martial arts, its a laid back, fun approach to training, with no egos, belts or grades, just good people getting together and training.

Let me know if you want to attend, and ill reply with the time etc.

Andrew

A_Usher
28-Apr-09, 19:51
OK.

Sunday 10 am
Dunbeath Hall
Wear something comfortable to train in.
BRING A BOTTLE OF WATER, or preferred energy type drink, but water is both free and of better use!

If anyone needs directions let me know.
Ill be setting up a forum on the old EMAF site, www.emaf.co.uk in the next few days.

Andrew.

A_Usher
01-May-09, 18:43
A few people have bailed from training this Sunday, so if you are definitely coming can you either pm me or email me.

Andrew.

kat300586
01-May-09, 23:07
this sounds really good an i would love to come along but i cant cos i hav no one to watch my kids for me :(

A_Usher
02-May-09, 22:21
Shame you cant make it, but there is always next week.
Training is progressive and ecompasses:

Muay Thai / Savate - Stand Up
Brazilian Jiu jitsu - Ground Work
Greco - Clinch

I am also probably going to restart wednesday evening sessions, which will be based around the Russian Martial Arts, systema and sombo.

Andrew.

For everyone coming tomorrow, 10 am is start, try to get there 10 mins before.
Bring water, you will need it.

Andrew.

A_Usher
03-May-09, 15:32
A big thank you to all that came today, very good session, 100 percent effort from everyone, was a pleasure to train with you all.

So, see you all next Sunday, more MMA, and of course tabata, HIIT :)

If anyone is interested in a wednesday Russian Martial Art class let me know.

Andrew

A_Usher
09-May-09, 10:40
We are on for this Sunday.

Bring lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.

We will cover the basics of movement, ranges in striking.
Usual Cardio, some interval training.

We may go into the basics of BJJ tomorrow, guard, 5 point passing.

RMA wise we will cover more on biomechanics, and discuss economy of movement, along with the usual discussion of gross motor skills, neurophysiology and wellness as a whole.

Tomorrows selection of music has still to be determined :)

All adults welcome irrespective of experience and fitness, its all about having a good fun training session, laid back, open, no rituals, no bowing, just good honest realistic training.

Andrew.

the_big_mac
20-May-09, 22:18
I thought I would let everyone know how the first few weeks of these classes have gone from a complete novice’s perspective. I hope it might help clear up a few misconceptions or reservations folk may have that have been thinking about coming along, but haven’t made it……………yet.

First off I got into all of this off the back of watching the likes of the UFC, Pride, Cage Rage and every other organisation I could watch, and after spending the whole of 2008 solely concentrating on quitting smoking regardless of what it did to my body, I got even fatter and more unfit! So I needed something to help me shift that weight and I desperately want to be fit again, cardio wise too.

I had been doing the usual weight training and promising myself I would go running the next day, and I was shifting weight and changing my body, but I knew I was still very unfit. Then Andrew posted that he was going to do an introductory MMA class and I thought this is exactly what I want to do! Being a fan of the sport anyway I was pretty stoked about learning the different aspects of MMA while getting into shape.

I shared the many misconceptions people have about this sport and thought I’d be the only novice going along and being completely embarrassed by all these super fit folk that know how to fight and could outrun Paula Radcliff. I couldn’t have been more wrong! The truth is, for the exception of Andrew and one of his former training partners, there was no one else there superfit and well versed in BJJ or Maui Thai. There were a handful of people from different walks of life and different levels of fitness all with different aspirations of what they would gain from this training. Brilliant!

It really has been a great experience so far. There is so much to learn, I’m fitter now than I have been in probably a decade, although a long way from where I want to be, and it is fantastic stress relief. There really isn’t a much better way to relieve tension than cracking of punch after kick after elbow after knee over and over again ( of course in a controlled manor making sure I keep my form! ). I would challenge anyone who disagrees to come along and just try it, you’ll be knackered after half and hour, but you won’t be thinking of work, that I can guarantee. I haven’t left a class without a smile on my face yet.

I knew I would enjoy learning a new skill, but I truly didn’t think that after a month I would be scouring the internet for training advice, buying DVD’s, books, everything I can get my hands on! It’s so interesting. And as for the systema (Russian combat style self defence thing) it is probably going to be thing single coolest thing I will have learned this year. Just search for systema on Google, we’ve only touched the surface with this stuff, but trust me, its very engaging!

As for the actual training, it is hard, I think even reasonably fit folk would find this difficult, but if you feel like your done half way through a gruelling tabata (Google it) session, you are not going to be shouted at and embarrassed. You just get yourself together and continue when you can. And that’s the way the whole class is run. If you are struggling to keep up with the fitness sessions you just take a breather and continue when you’re ready. However after a few weeks you will find a determination to dig deep and find it in yourself to push yourself further than the previous class. There is plenty to learn to keep it interesting from fitness to kickboxing, to traditional boxing, Maui Thai, BJJ, Systema, wrestling, any real contact martial art is covered in one way or another.

There isn’t an ego driven environment at all, nobody is there to be bullied and beasted, if that’s how it was I’d have walked out 5 mins into the first class! We are all there to learn and it’s a great environment to do that in.

If you are kinda just thinking you might quite like it, but are apprehensive about going along, please PM myself, and I’ll answer any concerns you may have honestly. But more to the point, just go for it, take the plunge and come along to one of the Wednesday evening, or Sunday morning sessions. I’m sure you wont be disappointed! And of course you will be made welcome by everyone that currently goes, that I can 100% guarantee. :)