PDA

View Full Version : The picture hoose....Thurso

teddybear1873
21-Apr-09, 20:28
For some odd reason the other day, the picture hoose in Thurso came to my head, why I don't know. Anyone got memories of the old days there. Mine was probably getting thrown out by having a grope in the crows nest.

hobbes1962
21-Apr-09, 21:18
I don't ever actually remember being in it but apparently my parents took me there to see ET!

futurelegends
21-Apr-09, 21:21
Was going to see Alan Parker's Movie version of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' starring that Irish superstar Bob Geldof.

A Star Wars Special also featured around the same time and I have to admit to Borrowing a Nephew to take to see it!

A sad loss (and you could afford to go to the pictures en mass in they days without taking out a mortgage!).

poppett
21-Apr-09, 21:35
Was gifted the giant poster outside from Sean Connery and Brigitte Bardot in Shalako. Can`t abide westerns, don`t like seeing horses being abused and frightened with gunfire, but Sean was in it so sacrifices had to be made.

After the matinee before Bonnie and Clyde my friend and I stayed quiet and was missed before the tea time audience got in. We were underage for the film content. My associate hid for most of the film whispering at regular intervals "Don`t look, but tell me what`s happening".

EDDIE
21-Apr-09, 23:03
For some odd reason the other day, the picture hoose in Thurso came to my head, why I don't know. Anyone got memories of the old days there. Mine was probably getting thrown out by having a grope in the crows nest.

Was it the hardies that owned the picture house then sold it and but the icecream vans.?

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Apr-09, 23:05
Lived right next door so went as often as I could. Highlights being Tron, The Dark Crystal, Star Wars-Empire Strikes Back, and, sadly, Superman III as it was the last-ever film shown there. And to think they didn't actually need to shut the cinema down; attendance figures were on the rise. Furthermore, like in any recession, one thing that never seems to be affected is drawing people to the cinema. There was no other building like it of its nature (within the highlands anyway) and even after all these years, I still miss the place... the macaroon bars and Strawberry Mivvies, too.