PDA

View Full Version : Stupid/Silly/Strange things parents used to say

Invisible
16-Apr-09, 16:57
There has probably been a thread about this so sorry in advance if there is.

I just remembered when seeing someone who used to bully me in the Primary School what advice I got from my folks back when this was an issue - "Ignore them". OK I tried this and received a black eye the next day at school. It made the bloke even more angry.

I'm sure I was told also that both my mum and dad had underground houses when I was about 8, a few years later asking them I was told I was speaking rubbish.

maybe its just the case that i had silly/strange parents.

unicorn
16-Apr-09, 17:32
"do you want a looger" well I was hardly going to say yes........ and then I got one anyway and I never said yes :lol:

justine
16-Apr-09, 17:56
"If you fall and break a leg, dont come crawling to me" is my mothers favourites.

Gene Hunt
16-Apr-09, 18:51
"Do you want me to smack your backside ??"

What kind of a question is that ??, as if we are going to turn round and say "Yes please, and could you make it REALLY hurt as that would be cool"

Thumper
16-Apr-09, 19:10
My Mum used to say "come here til I slap you"....yeah right I was really gonna go get a slap :eek: x

Better point out that she was joking....well I think she was!x

STUDMUFFIN
16-Apr-09, 19:48
''ya daft apeth'' i must still be one cause i don't know what it means.

parkie
16-Apr-09, 19:56
hope you changed your pant,s as you never know when you get hit by a car don,t want the doctor,s to think we don,t wash your under wear,p.s. remember i said if i got hit by a car i would have made a mess any way

Ricco
16-Apr-09, 20:10
My dad alwys used the expression "Stripe (or strike) me pink" - no idea what he was going on about. :eek:

changilass
16-Apr-09, 20:12
Mum used to tell us if we didn't behave she would pull our arm off and hit us with the soggy end - luckily she never actually followed through :lol:

tigger2u
16-Apr-09, 21:13
GREAT TRUTHS THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:
1) No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.
2) When your Mom is mad at your Dad, don't let her brush your hair.
3) If your sister hits you, don't hit her back. They always catch the second person..
4) Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
5) You can't trust dogs to watch your food.
6) Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.
7) Never hold a Dust-Buster and a cat at the same time.
8) You can't hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.
9) Don't wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.

balto
16-Apr-09, 21:15
i have always bit my nails and i always mind my dad saying to me, that if i didnt stop soon i would be at my elbows lol, funny thing is i never have reached them.

tigger2u
16-Apr-09, 21:47
If the wind changes your face will stay like that!

Always a classic from parents lol[lol]

balto
16-Apr-09, 21:48
do any of you find youselfs saying the same things to your kids, as your mum and dad said to you.

dirdyweeker
16-Apr-09, 22:36
"up Macks back stringin' ingins" was something I was told by my dad if I were to ask where something was and that was a sarcastic reply. Probably only makes sense to those who used to use it.

Each
16-Apr-09, 22:40
I was told that if I ate the crusts of my toast I would get curly hair.

This sounded great to a six year old - who thought that curly hair didn't need to be brushed in the morning before school. The thought of that sharp metal nails being dragged across my scalp still gives me shivers.

My hair never did grow curls !

porshiepoo
17-Apr-09, 08:05
My sister and I apparently used to wind my mum up with our arguing etc and she always told us "I'll bang your bloody heads together".
Unfortunately the day came when she actually did lol and it hurt like hell. I can still hear the sound of banging heads now, ooooo how it makes me cringe. :lol:

Shabbychic
17-Apr-09, 10:53
I was always told that if I didn't behave, I would go to Maggie Murphy's Home. Still don't know who she was or where her home was, but I really didn't want to go there.:(

SNOWDOG
17-Apr-09, 11:07
'I'll take ma hand off yer face!' Could never work that one out! :confused

dellwak
17-Apr-09, 11:23
"I want never gets" was one of the stupedest and unfairest things my dad used to say. Cos, if I didn't tell someone what I wanted I never got anyway cos no one knew what I wanted in the first place.:~(

honey
17-Apr-09, 11:38
Mum used to tell us if we didn't behave she would pull our arm off and hit us with the soggy end - luckily she never actually followed through :lol:

:lol:

mine too... super nanny would have a field day with caithness parenting! ;)

honey
17-Apr-09, 11:41
I was always told that if I didn't behave, I would go to Maggie Murphy's Home. Still don't know who she was or where her home was, but I really didn't want to go there.:(

thats a threat i hear down hear in glasgow nowadays...