PDA

View Full Version : Birdwatching is hard work!

Kenn
15-Apr-09, 21:53
As it was a glorious day hubby and myself decided to take a trip to The RSPB site at Pulborough Wild Brooks, West Sussex we had not envisaged the area being so large and after walking for almost two hours we had only covered half of it!
Not only are there the lakes and drainage ditches but beautiful tree lined walks that meander through areas of wild flowers,the first bluebells were standing proud amongst the primroses,lady's smock ,celandines,wild violets and bugle.
The air was full of courtship song from the small birds,chaffinches,robins,willow tits,blue tits,great tits,skylarks and even a nightingale.
Blackbirds, thrushes,pheasants,crows,rooks ,wood pigeons,
collared doves and a very resplendent jay were amongst the larger ones that caught our eye.
On the water front,shellducks,canada geese,greylags(that was a surprise),mallard,coot,moorhen,tufted ducks ,mute swans and some that were too far off to identify.
There is even a herd of Highland Cattle grazing the pastures.
Having wended our way back to the visitor's centre,we collapsed into the car,the temperature now being close to 20C and we were wearing outdoor clothing.
Now all I've got to do is put the cooling salve on the feet and sort out the sixty photographs that I took!

daviddd
16-Apr-09, 07:13
sounds like a good day Lizz, and what weather! It's about half that temp here, but not too bad really.