PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Burials

LaurenF
14-Apr-09, 02:39
My great grandparents, Adam Barnie and Catherine (Banks) Barnie were both born in the Caithness area. In the 1890's, they moved their young family down to Edinburgh. Shortly after that, Adam died. Just a few years later, Catherine also died. From the death certificate, I know that Adam died in the District of St. George, Edinburgh in 1895. Catherine died in the District of St. Andrew, Edinburgh in 1898. Several of their children also died from TB around this time. What I'd like to know is if there is any way to find out where they might be buried in Edinburgh. I know they were not taken back to Caithness for burial (there is no sign of them in any of the family burial plots there!). Any help, tips or information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!
Lauren

golach
14-Apr-09, 08:59
My great grandparents, Adam Barnie and Catherine (Banks) Barnie were both born in the Caithness area. In the 1890's, they moved their young family down to Edinburgh. Shortly after that, Adam died. Just a few years later, Catherine also died. From the death certificate, I know that Adam died in the District of St. George, Edinburgh in 1895. Catherine died in the District of St. Andrew, Edinburgh in 1898. Several of their children also died from TB around this time. What I'd like to know is if there is any way to find out where they might be buried in Edinburgh. I know they were not taken back to Caithness for burial (there is no sign of them in any of the family burial plots there!). Any help, tips or information would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!
Lauren

Try this as an intial contact, but I think that searches have a cost,

Name: Bereavement Services
Address: Mortonhall Crematorium, Howdenhall Road, Edinburgh, EH16 6TX
Tel: 0131 664 4314
Fax: 0131 664 2031
E-mail: mortonhallcrematorium (mortonhallcrematorium@edinburgh.gov.uk)

LaurenF
14-Apr-09, 16:59
Thanks so much for the tip . . . I'll give that a try! Even if there is a cost involved, it would be worth it to find out the information. Thanks again!
Lauren

LaurenF
07-May-09, 23:17
Hi Golach,
Thank you so much for giving me the address for the Edinburgh burials. I sent them an email and within hours, I had a reply with all the information I needed. There was no charge for the service. Thanks for helping to solve a family mystery!
Lauren