PDA

View Full Version : Total heating too expensive.

cuddlepop
10-Apr-09, 16:26
In our local paper the "West Highland Free Press" a few residents have contacted the MSP Rhoda Grant about how expensive Total Heating is.

One woman I know of has sent away her meter to be checked as she was putting £90 a week in it.I'm carefull but still was putting in £40 during the winter and that wasnt really sufficient to have the bedroom heaters on.:mad:

It seems now that installing Total Heating is breaching the Scottish Housing Quality Standards,for social housing .

MS Grants is reported to have said.
"Many of their properties are still heated by total control electric systems,this being the only system available at the time of building.A programme of work to change the system from total control is now underway as it does not meet Scottish Housing Quality Standard."

Anyone know anymore about this.:confused

Liz
10-Apr-09, 22:28
Could it be that people are using the incorrect Tarriff and that is why it is costing so much?
Which tarriff were you on Cuddlepop?

I have applied for a heating grant and asked for THTC after taking lots of advice. Both personal and professional.

The heating system I have been offered is called Duo Heaters(by Dimplex) which looks good.

I have been getting a lot of help from Caithness Energy Advice who have been really great and advised me that this heating would be best since I am at home all day.

The problem is that most heating is more expensive nowadays.

hotrod4
11-Apr-09, 04:42
I am on Total heating as well and put in £50 a week and was only running 1 of the heaters. Have never used the bedroom ones. Put an Oil filled radiotor and the top of the stairs to take the "chill" off the rest of the house.
I find it an expensive outdated system.I even offered the council to pay myself for the installation of Gas but they flatly refused as they didnt want the inside of the house "dug up" even though I advised them that the pipes can go above skirting!!!!!
It seems that we will be stuck with this for years.
The worst of it is I have a coal fire which heats nothing!:roll:
At least if it heated radiotors etc it would be cost effective.

lexie
11-Apr-09, 08:29
have total heating in our home, have had for the last 12 years, over the years its gone up... like everything else!

but have been delighted with the heating... have heaters in bedroom but never use them as its too hot!

monthly direct debit for all electric, four bed house....£90..and thats everything!and it covers ...............

cuddlepop
11-Apr-09, 09:22
Could it be that people are using the incorrect Tarriff and that is why it is costing so much?
Which tarriff were you on Cuddlepop?

I have applied for a heating grant and asked for THTC after taking lots of advice. Both personal and professional.

The heating system I have been offered is called Duo Heaters(by Dimplex) which looks good.

I have been getting a lot of help from Caithness Energy Advice who have been really great and advised me that this heating would be best since I am at home all day.

The problem is that most heating is more expensive nowadays.

I know the cost of heating has gone up but what I think Ms Grant is on about that if the only heating you have is total heating and thats so expensive more and more people will be placed in fuel poverty.
I'm not on a social tarif and should look into it as we proberly qualify but the woman in question on £90 a week wouldnt qualify.

Hotrod it sems strange as this legislation seems retrospective and the council will have to change total systems that they wouldnt let you pay for it up front:confused

Going to speak to housing Tuesday as we'd like to put in a multi burning stove.