PDA

View Full Version : Tartan Day

George Brims
06-Apr-09, 23:14
Does anyone know if Tartan Day is celebrated at all in Scotland? It is an official US holiday!

DeHaviLand
06-Apr-09, 23:23
No, its not. Its something we invented to hopefully part Americans from their folding stuff.:D

TBH
06-Apr-09, 23:50
Does anyone know if Tartan Day is celebrated at all in Scotland? It is an official US holiday!Why not just celebrate St Andrew's day instead of this gimmicky rubbish.

wifie
06-Apr-09, 23:57
Yer right TBH - saw the re-enactment of the Declaration of Arbroath today on the news and the bairns were wavin flags wi "Tartan Day - Scotland" on them. Suppose it is fair enough that the mannie who started it in America used this day because of the significance of it but how independant are we? English stake more than their claim. (Not slaggin any english people - talkin politics here - aye me!!! :eek:)

TBH
07-Apr-09, 00:04
Yer right TBH - saw the re-enactment of the Declaration of Arbroath today on the news and the bairns were wavin flags wi "Tartan Day - Scotland" on them. Suppose it is fair enough that the mannie who started it in America used this day because of the significance of it but how independant are we? English stake more than their claim. (Not slaggin any english people - talkin politics here - aye me!!! :eek:)We are no longer independent so what is the point in celebrating the anniversary of the declararation of Arbroath?

wifie
07-Apr-09, 00:10
We are no longer independent so what is the point in celebrating the anniversary of the declararation of Arbroath?

None whatsoever I suppose! :confused

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 00:11
It is a bit of a gimmick right enough. I suppose it's a bit of fun and it does promote the golden land, but it's tiresome that it seems to sell scotland on the cliche of cliches, the shortbread tin cover. "Tartan Week"? Surely Scotland Week would do? Or The Scots Festival?

It's a bit rubbish that Scotland's genuine historical importance to the world isn't more central in this cavalcade of tartan bunting. The Bard quite rightly seems to figure highly in peoples notion of scotland, but what about giants like Walter Scott, David Hume, John Buchan or Jackie Stewart?

Or JOCKY WILSON!!!!!!!!!

TBH
07-Apr-09, 00:16
It is a bit of a gimmick right enough. I suppose it's a bit of fun and it does promote the golden land, but it's tiresome that it seems to sell scotland on the cliche of cliches, the shortbread tin cover. "Tartan Week"? Surely Scotland Week would do? Or The Scots Festival?

It's a bit rubbish that Scotland's genuine historical importance to the world isn't more central in this cavalcade of tartan bunting. The Bard quite rightly seems to figure highly in peoples notion of scotland, but what about giants like Walter Scott, David Hume, John Buchan or Jackie Stewart?

Or JOCKY WILSON!!!!!!!!!Yer right there Buddy, it's like St Patricks without the shillelaghs, Guinness, shamrocks and leprechans. "Where's me Gold"?[lol]
Adma Smith, Baird, Bell, Macadam, et al.

Anne x
07-Apr-09, 00:17
I saw this on the news tonight albeit with the sound turned down I thought from glancing at the pics they were making yet another Scottish Film until I turned the sound up and heard the American in a Suit talking I then thought we are being invaded but soon realised they were interviewing the guy who was responsible for Tartan day Did the Scottish Tourist Board fund his visit?

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 00:21
Did the Scottish Tourist Board fund his visit?

No i think it was HIE

:lol::lol::lol:

George Brims
07-Apr-09, 00:26
Oh help mah Boab - it's in Scotland too!

http://www.scotlandstartanday.com/home/home.asp

Complete with gruesome purple "tartan".

buddyrich
07-Apr-09, 00:34
Complete with quote from Brian Cox.

But then he's not to be trusted-he was Hannibal Lector of course.

And lo! Manhunter is on tv right now!!

Why do they make such a big deal about taking an oath of allegiance to the declaration of arbroath?

Surely it should say-"I think this is all a bit silly. For me to pledge devotion to a treaty rendered irrelevant hundreds of years ago is just a bit much. Scotland is definitely the best country in the world, we're doing quite nicely from being a member of the UK thank you very much but lets not make fools of ourselves. Lets leave that to the expats and the wacky americans who pay to become members of clan societies."

Cazart!

Aaldtimer
07-Apr-09, 03:12
...Complete with quote from Brian Cox.

But then he's not to be trusted-he was Hannibal Lector of course...

LOL, Brian is a pussycat, I went to school with him, and we were great friends, he's the absolute opposite of Doctor Lektor! :eek: