PDA

View Full Version : today's horrific helicopter crash

annemarie482
01-Apr-09, 22:19
my thoughts go out to the families and fellow crew of those lost in todays horrific helicopter crash.
i like many people these days, have a partner who works offshore. he left for the leiv erriksen rig this morning, and my heart stopped when i heard of this awful accident. i cant begin to image what they are going through.:(

percy toboggan
01-Apr-09, 22:23
In my opinion this awful event should have been the lead item on the news tonight - not that G20 talking shop or the muppets who think anarchy is the way forward.

Again, hard wprking men have ost their lives in a dreadful accident. It's only skill and good fortune that prevented a similar tragedy just a few weeks ago.

Not for the first time Scotland bears a disproportionate load , in peacetime as in war. The exploitation of the oil reserves brings inherent risk, and danger which too many people - including the BBC - seem to take for granted.

balto
01-Apr-09, 22:32
In my opinion this awful event should have been the lead item on the news tonight - not that G20 talking shop or the muppets who think anarchy is the way forward.

Again, hard wprking men have ost their lives in a dreadful accident. It's only skill and good fortune that prevented a similar tragedy just a few weeks ago.

Not for the first time Scotland bears a disproportionate load , in peacetime as in war. The exploitation of the oil reserves brings inherent risk, and danger which too many people - including the BBC - seem to take for granted.
totally agree here, such a tragic accident, my heart goes out to all those who lost their lives and their familys they leave behind.

piratelassie
02-Apr-09, 01:12
My thoughts are with the families for their loss...but if we had a Scottish Broadcasting Coporation instead the B B C., we would stand out as a nation who have our own goverment, and this tragedy would be foremost in the News..

Aaldtimer
02-Apr-09, 01:23
This sad incident was the lead item on the ITV news at 6.30 pm last night.
Condolences to all involved.

Thumper
02-Apr-09, 08:26
Its a terrible tragedy!It does make you wonder that if more of the people onboard were english would it have been given bigger coverage?My heart goes out to all involved in this terrible accident! x

dragonfly
02-Apr-09, 08:29
its so tragic and as the wife of another offshore worker it makes your stomach turn. Amy, i can imagine the thoughts that are running through your mind just now with "what if's"

condolences to all families involved and hopefully Bonds helicoptors will be withdrawn until they have all had safety checks.

Angela
02-Apr-09, 08:38
I feel so very sad about this dreadful accident and almost as sad - and very angry - at the lack of proper coverage by the BBC. I'd seen the breaking news on the BBC site and really couldn't believe the brief mention of this tragic event on the news at 6.

There can be very few of us who don't have family or friends who work offshore, and my thoughts today are very much with the families of those of who have lost their lives. :(

dandod
02-Apr-09, 08:57
no doubt over the coming days questions will be raised about the safety of these helicopters by those who have lost loved ones and the operaters of them.bearing in mind it was the same type of helicopter which crashed not that long ago.

Venture
02-Apr-09, 09:08
I don't agree with you there Crayola. I was watching News 24 on the BBC last night when a press conference by Alex Salmond etc was being broadcast. He had just started speaking when the film broke off to show pictures of some head of state arriving at Downing Street for dinner with the PM. A top priority item......not.

The minute we hear about something like this we all pray that it won't involve anyone we know. For many families yesterday, their worst nightmare has come true. My thoughts are with all of them no matter who they are or where they are from.

wifie
02-Apr-09, 09:13
I My thoughts are with all of them no matter who they are or where they are from.

The true sentiment here Venture.

crayola
02-Apr-09, 09:15
I don't agree with you there Crayola. I was watching News 24 on the BBC last night when a press conference by Alex Salmond etc was being broadcast. He had just started speaking when the film broke off to show pictures of some head of state arriving at Downing Street for dinner with the PM. A top priority item......not.Maybe I happened to switch channels at the right moment last night. They were reporting on the crash just as I switched and I saw some of Alex Salmond's speech just afterwards. I didn't watch for very long.

The minute we hear about something like this we all pray that it won't involve anyone we know. For many families yesterday, their worst nightmare has come true. My thoughts are with all of them no matter who they are or where they are from.Likewise.

binbob
02-Apr-09, 09:36
its so tragic and as the wife of another offshore worker it makes your stomach turn. Amy, i can imagine the thoughts that are running through your mind just now with "what if's"

condolences to all families involved and hopefully Bonds helicoptors will be withdrawn until they have all had safety checks.

i have to agree with u,dragonfly.thank god ur hubby is ok.

jacktar
02-Apr-09, 09:45
Totally agree with the above posts,i actually emailed the English Broadcating Corporation,sorry the BBC,when the that last one ditched in the North Sea,because they saw fit to make some yank who was done for fraud,but because he pumped millions into english cricket,the main headlines.This item went on for 8 minutes and when the helicopter item come on it was for a couple of minutes.I got a reply which just comfirmed what i already knew,that they were not interested because it happened north of the border.they said that the news items were selected and put out in order to satisfy the bulk of their viewers.

Thumper
02-Apr-09, 10:08
NO we dont know exactly where they are from,but my point was that if they were all english there would probably have been more coverage of it,in no way was I trying to belittle this terrible tragedy!I myself have had family work offshore and know the feeling of fear that runs down your spine when something like this happens.The point is that no matter where they are from there are families who have lost loved ones now but sadly it seems that the national news didnt think it was worthy of being a headline! x
Actually we do know now-8 from Aberdeen,4 more from Scotland,3 from England and Wales and 1 from Europe.May they all rest in peace x

crayola
02-Apr-09, 10:17
NO we dont know exactly where they are from,but my point was that if they were all english there would probably have been more coverage of it,in no way was I trying to belittle this terrible tragedy
The BBC probably didn't know who was in the helicopter at the time and they possibly still don't. More telling was where it happened. I bet it would have been headline news for hours if it had crashed in the Thames near Downing Street irrespective of who was on board. [disgust]

Oops, I should have looked at BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7978093.stm) before I wrote that.

Twelve are from Scotland - eight in Grampian - three from England and Wales and one from elsewhere in Europe.May they all rest in peace. :(

I'm not going to post any more out of respect to the victims and their families and friends.

Gene Hunt
02-Apr-09, 10:21
As someone who works in aviation I always spare a thought for those involved in this type of accident. Bond have a good reputation for operations, engineering and safety in aviation circles and I am sure that they will do everything that is going to be required in the next few days, weeks and months to find out the cause.

The helicopter involved yesterday was a Puma MK2, the one in the previous incident was an EC225 which is a vastly updated version of the MK2. Although they look similiar the differences are all on the inside, not the same type of helicopter at all.

You should be aware that the Press will be no doubt be monitoring websites such as this in the North of Scotland for any info or leads on relatives they can. I post on PPRune which is an aviation site, the thread on the crash in the Helicopter Pilots forum was being directly reported as News by the media, there were 800-1000 reading the forum last night when the average is about 400. In the end people stopped posting to avoid the feeding the vultures.

Kenn
02-Apr-09, 10:23
Well said Venture,I have acquaintances that work The North Sea and know how they must be feeling each time another tragedy happens .We all owe a debt of respect to the families who once again are suffering and should extend the hand of sympathy along with our sincere condolences.

It says much about our society when politics take precendence over such an event, the media should hang their heads in shame.

Vistravi
02-Apr-09, 12:53
my partner works offshore and this accident is one of the many dangers that go with working with offshore. Thank god incidents like this crash doesn't happen often but still enough.
My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered a loss of a firend or family member. As i lost my dad in different circumstances i can understand how anyone who has lost a loved one in this crash feels but can only imangine your anger and grief.

the charlatans
02-Apr-09, 14:22
Yesterday time stood still for me when i heard the helicopter had gone down until I realised my brother isn't due home from the rigs until next week. I watched and listened to all the news I could and prayed for some survivors. The news is always weighted to the supposed biggest news story of the day - not to me it wasn't and i waited 17 minutes for the BBC 10pm news to get through what the G20 is or isn't doing.

I've said more than one prayer for the families and friends of the 16 good men who have been tragically taken from us. And for the crew still aboard BP Miller, Mr Winehouse, let them know that we are thinking of them.

anneoctober
02-Apr-09, 20:10
I'm ashamed to say that my first thought was for our son who's offshore. We were so relieved when he called to say he was ok and still on his rig. The atmosphere on his rig has changed dramatically. The banter is gone and so has the spark in the lads out there. I feel bereft for those of you who were connected by friendship or as a work colleague, god alone knows how the famillies are and how they're going to cope in the weeks and months to come.

mums angels
02-Apr-09, 20:28
Spoke with my husband this evening who is out in Africa .. and all the boys out there are also thinking of the lads and there families.

thoughts with all family , friends and collegues

crayola
02-Apr-09, 23:44
Have a safe journey home tomorrow Mr W.

Tighsonas4
03-Apr-09, 21:46
what a miracuilous time it must be for the chap who was asked to do an extra shift
he had dined with them before they left and it seems the usual ribbing was going on
hope they get to the bottom of this asap especially for them who are still flying daily tony

annemarie482
05-Apr-09, 23:14
thank god all the boys are now found.
they can now be laid to rest properly.
a small comfort for the families and friends.
rest in peace boys, gone but never forgotten.:(

golach
15-Apr-09, 10:04
Please remember the Offshore workers who died, a memorial is being held in Aberdeen today

riggerboy
15-Apr-09, 10:35
a memorial is being held on most if not all rigs today in the north sea, i am at the moment offshore and the feelings are very low out here,

some people have just finished up and are now working on the beach,
others dont want to fly, there have been various choppers with "technical problem" of late, its a sad fact that it take this to happen before something is done,