PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

M.V Girl Erin
23-Feb-06, 22:00
According to BT our exchange in Keiss has been broadband enabled when I try to upgrade from dial up to broadband with Tiscali or even Homecall they say our exchange has not been enabled. Is there any recognised body I can contact to get this rersolved one way or the other

hammers
23-Feb-06, 22:31
Think you will find that outside of the towns you are very selective of providers that you can use.Possibly even the only one might be BT themselves.

badger
23-Feb-06, 23:22
Those of us out in the countryside can only use BT or Scotnet - HIE did a special deal with them. BT is cheaper. Chances are you won't get a very fast connection - mine is 576 - but it's a lot better than ordinary dial-up. I've been having all sorts of fun and games since I got BT Broadband but I think we're getting somewhere now. I know someone in your area who is connecting at a very low rate so be prepared to kick up a major fuss if it's not good. A lot depends on whether you are miles up a farm track or in the village and how old the cabling is. If you try any other service provider on one of the usual search websites it will just say you can't get it.

Bobinovich
24-Feb-06, 13:55
Sipttal was also enabled a while back but Tiscali & Wanadoo don't recognise this. I've had to setup customers with BT instead but their prices aren't too bad. Even if you don't get the higher speeds, 512kbps is still head and shoulders above dial-up, plus you get the benefit of your phone still being useable.

badger
24-Feb-06, 14:13
Sipttal was also enabled a while back but Tiscali & Wanadoo don't recognise this. I've had to setup customers with BT instead but their prices aren't too bad. Even if you don't get the higher speeds, 512kbps is still head and shoulders above dial-up, plus you get the benefit of your phone still being useable.

See my previous post - BT and Scotnet have the monopoly in the countryside up here.

Geo
24-Feb-06, 16:02
Tiscali and possibly Homecall use a slightly different type of wholesale BB from BT called Datastream whereas most use IPstream. It's possible your exchange is simply not enabled for Datastream, which I think involves the ISP having some of their own hardware installed at the exchange alllowing them to then monitor and alter bandwidth as needed.

Try some IPStream providers to see if that works. Should be a list here:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Geo
24-Feb-06, 16:04
See my previous post - BT and Scotnet have the monopoly in the countryside up here.

I'm not sure about that. If your exchange is standard IPStream ADSL then you can use any provider. If it also has Datastream such as the Watten exchange you can use ISPs that require that. I am with virgin.net who use Datastream.

badger
24-Feb-06, 17:44
We were in touch with HIE for ages before we could get broadband and that's what we were told by them. Larger exchanges with enough registered interested users get broadband in the usual way but the really small ones have this special deal that HIE did and can only use BT or Scotnet. BT is cheaper, at least it was for what I wanted.

M.V Girl Erin
24-Feb-06, 20:15
Just to confound things further I know of someone who swears he is getting broadband with Tiscali in Keiss and someone else who set up their broad band account in Wick with Tiscali then asked if it would be okay to transfer to Keiss and Tiscali okayed this. Anyway thanks for all the replies

Moonboots
26-Feb-06, 12:28
You should be ok for broadband in Keiss with any ISP as far as i know.

By the way ADSL Max is being rolled out in Caithness within the next few months.

ADSL Max is 8Mbps Downstream over existing hardware

RFS Date for most exchanges in Caithness is the 31st of March 06.
This date could change due to any difficulties.

I am afraid that Keiss, Gillock, Lyth and JOG's are not due be upgraded for this.

Regards
Paul