PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from?

crayola
28-Mar-09, 14:33
I get the impression that many if not most of our new members are also new to the county. Does this hold for the membership as a whole?

Where do you originate from?

I forgot to say that the poll is private, no-one can see how you voted.

Mik.M.
28-Mar-09, 14:34
South East London via Crawley. So you should know why we moved up here.:lol:

Stefan
28-Mar-09, 14:47
Native German live in England now, move up to Caithness in July.

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:20
Is there a reason for this poll? What business is it of your's where we originate from? We are all connected to Caithness in some way which is why we joined this site, where we come from has no relevence. If anyone wants to know where I come from they can check back on my previous posts, in which I've probably mentioned it. For that reason I shant be voting.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 15:22
Is there a reason for this poll?Yes, I'm interested and I'm nosy. ;)

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:23
Yes, I'm interested and I'm nosy. ;)
Fair enough....I'm from my mothers womb. [lol]

crayola
28-Mar-09, 15:26
So am I! We must be siblings. :lol:

Stefan
28-Mar-09, 15:26
joxville, you don't have to answer you know.... but would it hurt if people knew?
I mean I hear that people can use information against one another... but do you think it's worth the hassle over being native Scot or not ?

Proud to be German, as I have been brought up with different values and in a different way than most people I know. So why hide it?

You got something to hide? Or is there somebody about you fear will use the information against you?

Sorry, I am stiring it up, aren't I ?

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:27
So am I! We must be siblings. :lol:

Since my older sister is Cinderella that must make you.........erm, erm, I forget. [lol]

Tugmistress
28-Mar-09, 15:30
moved up here from that dump called Hull - best move i ever made :D

crayola
28-Mar-09, 15:30
Since my older sister is Cinderella that must make you.........erm, erm, I forget. [lol]
A pumpkin? :eek:

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:39
joxville, you don't have to answer you know.... but would it hurt if people knew?
I mean I hear that people can use information against one another... but do you think it's worth the hassle over being native Scot or not ?

Proud to be German, as I have been brought up with different values and in a different way than most people I know. So why hide it?

You got something to hide? Or is there somebody about you fear will use the information against you?

Sorry, I am stiring it up, aren't I ?

1. I know.......and no
2. Maybe
3. I'm proud to be a Jedi Master. I'm not hiding it. :cool:
4. No.
5. No, you're not stirring it.

[lol]

Bazeye
28-Mar-09, 15:40
Was working at Vulcan in 1985 for Vickers, Barrow. Met my wife a week before my contract was up and she came to Barrow with me. Been here ever since. Have visited Thurso every year since then.

tootler
28-Mar-09, 15:40
I think it's a really interesting poll, Crayola, don't let the others put you off!:confused

I was born & raised in Caithness and left at 17 to find out what life was like in the rest of the Big Bad World. I was away for just over 10 years (but my parents and some of my siblings stayed in Caithness, so it's always been "home") and then I decided to return here with my young children so that they could enjoy the freedom that comes with living in Caithness rather than growing up in a city.

I love it here & I'm not planning on leaving again!:D

davie
28-Mar-09, 15:49

I knew I had seen you before - you are John Prescott's twin sister and I claim the £5.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 15:54
Oops, I've just realised the last ballot option is redundant. :o

Tugmistress
28-Mar-09, 15:54
I knew I had seen you before - you are John Prescott's twin sister and I claim the £5.

Davie! you deserve a slap for that! :Razz he is 3 times the size i am :D

mums angels
28-Mar-09, 15:58
I was born in Edinburgh and have lived in Caithness since i was 18 months old .

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:58
I thought Tugs was worth so much more.........£5.50 at least. [lol]

Ricco
28-Mar-09, 15:59
I'm from Vulcan... and don't stare at my ears! lol

joxville
28-Mar-09, 15:59
Davie! you deserve a slap for that! :Razz he is 3 times the size i am :D

...but not half as much fun. ;)

Tugmistress
28-Mar-09, 16:02
...but not half as much fun. ;)

lol jox, you say the sweetest things xxx

percy toboggan
28-Mar-09, 16:03
Elaboration Requested:

I voted 'none of the above'

Long winded options but too limited in their horizons 'fraid.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 16:04
No, they're not, they cover every possible option!

joxville
28-Mar-09, 16:05

I know........that's why the ladies love me. ;)

shazzap
28-Mar-09, 16:09

Ditto.......:D

Margaret M.
28-Mar-09, 16:10
Born and grew up in Caithness. Went to Canada when I was in my twenties and I now live in the U.S. I hope that one of these years I can start spending the summers in Caithness but I'm not sure if I could take more than a few months. The major drawbacks for me are the weather, the limited health care and the weather.

shazzy
28-Mar-09, 17:26
I was born in Bath,moved here two months ago,think its super-duper!! I do have relatives this way though,maiden name is Sinclair,family in Edinburgh and grandfather from newcastle.:D

kmahon2001
28-Mar-09, 17:52
Oops, I've just realised the last ballot option is redundant. :o

But already 5 people have voted for that option. [lol]

crayola
28-Mar-09, 17:57
But already 5 people have voted for that option. [lol]I know but it's too late to change it. :(

Unless I'm very much mistaken the first 9 options cover every possibility, silly me. :o

kmahon2001
28-Mar-09, 18:02
Is there a reason for this poll? What business is it of your's where we originate from? We are all connected to Caithness in some way which is why we joined this site, where we come from has no relevence. If anyone wants to know where I come from they can check back on my previous posts, in which I've probably mentioned it. For that reason I shant be voting.

I thought this was a private poll, so surely nobody would know how you voted anyway.

It might be quite interesting to get the general picture of people's origins in the forum - I'm nosy too. ;)

Sporran
28-Mar-09, 18:27
Unless I'm very much mistaken the first 9 options cover every possibility, silly me. :o

I wish you'd had an option to the effect of "I am a native Scot born outside of Caithness, but brought up in Caithness", because that's the category I fit into. My parents are both native Scots from outwith Caithness, but we moved to Thurso when I was a toddler, and I grew up there. Didn't leave till I was in my twenties. I feel far closer to being a native Caithnessian than anything else!

Sandra_B
28-Mar-09, 19:46
Born in Sutherland, brought up in Caithness, living in Germany, but coming home to Thurso in July!!!!!!!!

Aaldtimer
28-Mar-09, 20:12
Bonnie Dundee!:)

Each
28-Mar-09, 20:48
I think I'm the only one in the immediate family that can claim to originate from Caithness - actually being born in the county.

My parents had to travel what was a very long and winding road in the winter to Inverness to deliver my siblings - I wonder how many others now in their middle age or over are in the same boat.

How many orgers are of genuine Caithness birth (not inverness) and how many dyed in the wool orgers claiming caithness roots have a dark skeleton in their cupboard - their actually invernessians - :lol:

Mik.M.
28-Mar-09, 20:48
Will you two get a room!! Mik XX

wifie
28-Mar-09, 21:08

I agree!!! :roll:

Rheghead
28-Mar-09, 21:13
I'm from Rheged.:)

Vistravi
28-Mar-09, 21:21
Born and caithness and jus moved away to inverness.
I'm not a person who likes to stay in the same place for years and 20 years in caithness was too long for me.
Caithness is a good place to be but it's jus boring for someone in my age group. Someone in my age group jus needs more excitement and interesting things to do that caithness can offer.

Sun Circle
28-Mar-09, 21:51
My parents moved up here independently in the sixties to work at Dounreay, they fell in love and produced 4 atomic Caithnessians (all born at the Dunbar in Thurso). Awwwww... how romantic. All 4 atomic kittens moved away south for university and work, 3 have returned, because Caithess is the best place in the world - there is no escaping that!

The way the Caithness General Hospital maternity unit is going it will soon be a rare thing for anyone to be able to claim a birthright to Caithness. If you have the slightest high blood pressure they whisk you down to Inverness to give birth. A real shame in my opinion...

greenasiamcabbagelooking
28-Mar-09, 23:02
Someone in my age group jus needs more excitement and interesting things to do that caithness can offer.

what ? like sitting in on a Saturday night typing away on caithness.org ?

:lol:

Vistravi
28-Mar-09, 23:10
what ? like sitting in on a Saturday night typing away on caithness.org ?

:lol:

Jus moved to ness, nae money to waste in a pub. Drinking with friends in e house so still having saturday night fun all the more better for the fact that i haven't spent much on drink as it was in the cupboard still from new year;)

greenasiamcabbagelooking
28-Mar-09, 23:18
good on ya V for taking that reply in the spirit in which it was meant :D

hope ya find your fortune in inverness and get out next weekend, i'm amazed you still have bevvie left from new year !! .... must be the mingin stuff !!

pinch your nose and glug

joxville
28-Mar-09, 23:21

Who needs a room? ;)

wifie
28-Mar-09, 23:37
Who needs a room? ;)

Oh please! Think we would all be happier if you were in a room! :eek:

Vistravi
28-Mar-09, 23:46
good on ya V for taking that reply in the spirit in which it was meant :D

hope ya find your fortune in inverness and get out next weekend, i'm amazed you still have bevvie left from new year !! .... must be the mingin stuff !!

pinch your nose and glug

It's all vodka. Me and my mates are polishing it off nae bother. ;)

Ah i got your meaning. ;)

Well i should be starting my new job soon. jus waiting for the disclosure to come through. so not sure bout getting out next weekend but not to bothered cos i have my mates down here i can enjoy the weekend with.

Angel
29-Mar-09, 00:40
I have been wanting to ask these very same questions myself Crayola... well done huns...

Angel

Oddquine
29-Mar-09, 01:38
I'm from across the Moray Firth ........Forres to be exact. Arrived up here with a partner to croft(pensioners growing old disgracefully) ...but he was a saft Southerner(Yorkshire) and couldn't hack the weather up here.

I'm still here, though not on the croft, and intend staying until I need to go down to my offspring to be looked after in my older age..if that is necessary.

Mother was Caithness.....her mother - Sinclair father - MacDonald. But I remember holidays in Halkirk as being much warmer than nowadays!

Bruce_H
29-Mar-09, 06:53
California, USA - have visited the wonderful land of Caithness once and hope to do so again many times.

Historically, my family is from the Dunbeath area (Henderson)

coppertop 1958
29-Mar-09, 07:45
Oh please! Think we would all be happier if you were in a room! :eek:

hahahha good one like it you have my vote

skinnydog
29-Mar-09, 21:18
I am from Nairn, moved up here in 1993. Still not used to that damn wind!!

lynne duncan
29-Mar-09, 21:58
i was born in wick, grew up 5 miles outside it, then moved into the town with my hubby (willowbank) then bought our house the next street out (broadhaven) and are happy here, hubby also born and bred wicker who was brought up in papigoe.
so we're both wicker born and bred as are the 3 kids, my folk are both from john o groats and freswick, hubby's folk are from wick and nearby

piratelassie
29-Mar-09, 23:42
My parents moved up here independently in the sixties to work at Dounreay, they fell in love and produced 4 atomic Caithnessians (all born at the Dunbar in Thurso). Awwwww... how romantic. All 4 atomic kittens moved away south for university and work, 3 have returned, because Caithess is the best place in the world - there is no escaping that!

The way the Caithness General Hospital maternity unit is going it will soon be a rare thing for anyone to be able to claim a birthright to Caithness. If you have the slightest high blood pressure they whisk you down to Inverness to give birth. A real shame in my opinion...

Well I suppose you could always say you were made in caithness ? :lol:

Tom Cornwall
30-Mar-09, 00:09
I was born in the Borders, moved to Caithness, brought up there and now live in the far South

zappster
30-Mar-09, 07:04
Wick born but grew up just outside Wick ... living there now...cut me in half & it'll say Wick in the middle...can't see me ever living anywhere else

coppertop 1958
30-Mar-09, 08:14
I am from Nairn, moved up here in 1993. Still not used to that damn wind!!
wind what wind lol

Mystical Potato Head
30-Mar-09, 08:41

It may be of no relevence to you but it may be of relevence or interest to other ppl dont you think?

joxville
30-Mar-09, 11:49
It may be of no relevence to you but it may be of relevence or interest to other ppl dont you think?

I think Crayola is just being nosey. ;)

daviddd
30-Mar-09, 12:19
I was born near Manchester and moved up to Orkney in 1983 due to unemployment at the height of the Thatcher employment destruction exercise, re-educated and got a nice job up there, then moved to Caithness in 1996 to a new job, where I still work today. I'm very happy here despite family being well sooth. I can still travel widely when I like, but I'm always happy to get home here again.

anneoctober
30-Mar-09, 13:14
Fair enough....I'm from my mothers womb.

we're back to the "babygro" business are n't we ?:eek: :lol:

Green_not_greed
30-Mar-09, 13:48
Good poll!

I have now spent most of my life in Caithness, though I've traced the family back to the 1700s in Renfrewshire and Ayrshire. I have a Caithness ancestral link to the Gunns in Thurso in the mid 1800s. They moved to Ayrshire where sadly the father died in a construction accident in 1885 and one of the daughters was murdered in Portencross in 1913 and the murder was never solved.

She was shot through the window by a mystery sniper. Perhaps Gavrilo Princip was getting some practice in ahead of Sarajevo?

honey
30-Mar-09, 13:54
born and raised in Thurso, but moved to Glasgow when i met my now hubby.

teenybash
30-Mar-09, 14:23
Born in Glasgow, lived here and there, finally settling in Caithness..........:)

floyed
30-Mar-09, 17:57
I have lived here all my life:eek:

Thumper
30-Mar-09, 18:28
Born and bred in Caithness,as was my Dad,and his Dad,and his Dad and probably a few more Dads before that :eek: x

oldmarine
30-Mar-09, 20:36
My first two times to Caithness (Thurso) was for duty at the Naval Station. My third time time was to bring my family on a tour of Scotland and England for a holiday. Enjoyed my visits all three times. I came from Arizona when I worked at Fort Huachuca as an Electronics Engineer.

robynaus
31-Mar-09, 01:12
I live in sunny Adelaide South Australia Been here since 1955 Born in Sydney New South Wales Australia

Been looking for family ancestors G-father James Bain came from Keiss and Mum's crowd originated in the Shetlands Some from England and Ireland too so we are a mixed bunch
regards robyn

Dadie
31-Mar-09, 11:20
My mum came to Caithness when she was 4 with the rest of the family for her fathers work from another area of scotland.
My Dad came to Caithness for work from another area of scotland.
I was born here and never left the county.
But am I a native??
Some circles would disagree on that!
Not sure how I should vote:)

hotrod4
31-Mar-09, 15:45
Though I have been here since the age of 7 (minus times in the Army) I am still not quite a caithnessian.My mother is from Wick but Dad was from Dalry,Ayrshire.Born in Ayrshire and class myself as coming from there though I am a "Plastic weeker"!![lol]
Mother=Wick
Dad=Dalry
Grandparents=Wick,Luton & Norn Irn
If I was good at sport I suppose I could have played for Scotland,England or Norn Irn but alas I was crap!!!:lol:

anneoctober
01-Apr-09, 11:23
[quote=hotrod4;526414]Though I have been here since the age of 7 (minus times in the Army) I am still not quite a caithnessian.My mother is from Wick but Dad was from Dalry,Ayrshire.Born in Ayrshire and class myself as coming from there though I am a "Plastic weeker"!![lol]
Mother=Wick
Dad=Dalry
Grandparents=Wick,Luton & Norn Irn
If I was good at sport I suppose I could have played for Scotland,England or Norn Irn but alas I was crap!!!quote]
Aha ! Celtic connections hotters..............[lol]

hotrod4
01-Apr-09, 13:39
Aha ! Celtic connections hotters..............[lol]

Fraid not theres nothing "celtic" in my Family we are all Brits!!!!;)

Gene Hunt
01-Apr-09, 13:48
Born in Wick when my hippy parents took a holiday in Caithness when my mum was just over 8 months pregnant.

Proud Taff born and raised in South Wales.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 14:50
Ayrshire man married to a weeker lady.Now have two hybrid Ayrshire/weeker babies.They've turned out alright except when there's a full moon.The howling can be a bit off putting.:lol::lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 20:23
Had a wee quick check of the poll and I thought this would be the way the percentages would work out.

crayola
01-Apr-09, 20:35
My mum came to Caithness when she was 4 with the rest of the family for her fathers work from another area of scotland.
My Dad came to Caithness for work from another area of scotland.
I was born here and never left the county.
But am I a native??
Some circles would disagree on that!
Not sure how I should vote:)
I considered including options for second-generation Caithnessians but the poll was already becoming unwieldy. Maybe next time.

My intention was that you should count as a native Caithnessian for the purpose of this poll. Is that ok?

Each
01-Apr-09, 20:44
OK I'll take the bait.... Whats the purpose of the poll ?

Have you a secret hypothises waiting to be proved ?

hotrod4
01-Apr-09, 20:46
Ayrshire man married to a weeker lady.Now have two hybrid Ayrshire/weeker babies.They've turned out alright except when there's a full moon.The howling can be a bit off putting.:lol::lol:
I suppose that would make my kids Hybrid Ayrshire/weeker babies too!!!! Its true what you say about the full moon though mine go all mental and rabid!![lol]

crayola
01-Apr-09, 20:53
OK I'll take the bait.... Whats the purpose of the poll ?

Have you a secret hypothises waiting to be proved ?I refer you to my original post and my answer to a similar question (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=525076#post525076). That's it really. :)

crayola
18-Apr-09, 01:49
I'm bumping this up to the top because I saw a post claiming 60% of the people of caithness are English (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=533509#post533509). I dare say it may have been tongue in cheek but so is my excuse for bumping. ;)

butterfly
18-Apr-09, 02:23
I am a born and bred "Weeker".:)

forevera123
18-Apr-09, 03:50
i was born somewhere on the earth, and now i still live on the earth:lol:
i am not going to move anywhere out side of the earth

crayola
20-Apr-09, 13:07
i was born somewhere on the earth, and now i still live on the earth:lol:
i am not going to move anywhere out side of the earth
Could you be a little more precise? ;)

Matthew
20-Apr-09, 13:55
Lived in Brixton/Streatham in London for 16 years. Moved up here in 2007 and lived in JoG, and then Lyth, and finally now Thurso!

Bazeye
20-Apr-09, 15:32
Lived in Brixton/Streatham in London for 16 years. Moved up here in 2007 and lived in JoG, and then Lyth, and finally ow Thurso!

Quite a difference between Brixton and Thurso eh?

Are you on the run from someone? :lol:

Matthew
20-Apr-09, 15:39
Quite a difference between Brixton and Thurso eh?

Are you on the run from someone? :lol:

Yeah, huge difference. Quite like it up here although there isn't as much to do. :confused

crayola
16-May-09, 01:22
I'm bringing this back to the top because we have a number of new posters.