PDA

View Full Version : The Linen Cupboard

bagpuss
27-Mar-09, 23:46
Heard from Joan who works in Fairways that the shop is being leased out to The Linen Cupboard from the end of April. Anyone been to their shop in Orkney?

crayola
28-Mar-09, 13:47
It's good to see shop gossip alive and well in Caithness. :lol:

On a more serious note, is there any gossip about the future of the Woolies sites in Wick or Thurso?

bagpuss
29-Mar-09, 21:48
Not gossip- this is a fact. Mr Adams has leased his bit of 118 High Street to make sure there isn't another empty slot, and two doors up the new wedding hire business is moving in.

Can't help over the other business though- shame that Tom McGoochan of Scapa Properties who decided not to put up the other retail park hasn't as yet taken an interest in the town centre- Woolies site has potential.

telfordstar
30-Mar-09, 12:53
Not gossip- this is a fact. Mr Adams has leased his bit of 118 High Street to make sure there isn't another empty slot, and two doors up the new wedding hire business is moving in.

Can't help over the other business though- shame that Tom McGoochan of Scapa Properties who decided not to put up the other retail park hasn't as yet taken an interest in the town centre- Woolies site has potential.

Its good that there is still business in town centre alot more woud be welcolmed with open arms though. Wedding hire business?

Bad Manners
30-Mar-09, 14:27
Glad to here that some new business is coming to Caithness even though we are losing the original.

floyed
30-Mar-09, 17:56
What is the linen cupboard?? And do we really need a wedding shop in Wick, wouldn't of thought they would get much business:confused

Alice in Blunderland
30-Mar-09, 18:02
What is the linen cupboard??

Hee hee in my house its where all the junk goes..................and some towels.

You just shut the door and no-one sees the mess ;) :lol: :lol:

Only joking !

Im assuming its a retail outlet that sells towels and bedding for going in the linen cupboard.

floyed
30-Mar-09, 18:04
Hee hee in my house its where all the junk goes..................and some towels.

You just shut the door and no-one sees the mess

Only joking !

Im assuming its a retail outlet that sells towels and bedding for going in the linen cupboard.

:lol::lol: I have one of them!

So its the same sort of thing that was there already!

bagpuss
30-Mar-09, 23:21
The Linen Cupboard is a chain of soft furnishing shops run by an Aberdeen company called Rosemount Textiles. They used to supply Fairways in the days when Ernie ran it. They have 2 other shops so far- one in Orkney and the other in Ellon. Wick will be their third.

The owner of Fairways retired and his daughter has been doing the admin, but couldn't fit it around her other commitments so she's leasing it to The Linen Cupboard people.

I think its good that there's been a real effort to keep some trade in the town centres. As for the wedding place- its where the knitting wool shop was- they're renovating. I only found out as I'm up visiting family.

ashaw1
31-Mar-09, 09:33
What is the linen cupboard?? And do we really need a wedding shop in Wick, wouldn't of thought they would get much business:confused

My bridal shop in Dempster Street, Wick has been open for almost a year now and there definately is a market for it up here. Nearest bridal shop is Alness!

Venture
31-Mar-09, 10:06
My bridal shop in Dempster Street, Wick has been open for almost a year now and there definately is a market for it up here. Nearest bridal shop is Alness!

Just wondered ashaw1 are you moving to High Street or is this another bridal company.

ashaw1
31-Mar-09, 10:36
Just wondered ashaw1 are you moving to High Street or is this another bridal company.

No i'm not moving it's another business completely!

Blondie
31-Mar-09, 12:16
So who's opening the Bridal Shop then?

Julia
31-Mar-09, 14:12
I don't think there would be enough business for two bridal shops, didn't the hire shop do their homework? I don't really get how it would work for wedding or bridesmaid dresses, nobody wants to see two different brides in the same frock a month apart.

ashaw1
31-Mar-09, 16:28
I don't think there would be enough business for two bridal shops, didn't the hire shop do their homework? I don't really get how it would work for wedding or bridesmaid dresses, nobody wants to see two different brides in the same frock a month apart.

There are lots of places that have more than one bridal shop and manage side by side quite happily. Major bridal manufacturers work on a territory basis so that two shops within the same local area can't stock the same dresses. There are so many bridal manufacturers out there you will find there are more than enough to go around.

As for hiring dresses, with tight budgets these days it is becoming a very attractive option. It means that you can wear a £1500 dress at the fraction of the cost. You only have to look on ebay to see how many people are selling second hand wedding dresses to realise that very few people these days actually hang onto their dresses.

If the shops are stocking a large enough range it is very unlikely to find 2 people within the same village in the same dress, people are getting married much further afield these days. To be honest if someone came into my shop wanting the same dress as the bride getting married the week before her i would certainly advise her of this.

crayola
01-Apr-09, 18:28

I guessed it wasn't gossip, thanks for the confirmation.

Both former Woolies stores are large retail spaces in prime locations but it would take a brave woman to venture into them right now. Where are ASDA when we need them? :lol: