PDA

View Full Version : Passports and Name Changes

weefee
27-Mar-09, 12:35
Right a wee soap box moment...... i have to pay £46 for my daughters passport which she will only be able to use for the next 3 years as she will then turn 16 and require an adult passport.

At 6 years old, she decided to take my name rather than her estranged fathers, in Scotland you don't have to "formally" change your name. I myself am listed as something different on my birth certificate and never went through any formal adoption or legal process, i just assumed that name when my folks married.

On renewing my daughters passport, i contacted them to query what would be required, they dictated what i needed to write, was never married, there are no parental responsibility orders, she has used this name since she was 6, i have medical records and school records, i was told this would be adequate.

NO!!! not at all.......I now have to go, pay more ££££ to have her name witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor or Notary. I'm so annoyed, i specifically rang them to seek advice and been given incorrect information. I really dont see why i should have to pay for this nonsense when i can provide 6 years worth of evidence that she has used that name.

I am also very confused as to how a child passport costs £46 for 5 years (or 3years use that my daughter will get) and an adult 10 year passport costs £72. How do they come up with these figures???

I appreciate that we are living in a time of identity theft and terrorism ....but where the hell is the common sense?? I doubt it flew off abroad!!!

Thanks ...i will now get off my soapbox :P

Missy Wick
27-Mar-09, 13:24
I myself am in the same situation as your daughter. I have been using my current surname for about 20 years now. I have all documentation in my new name apart from birth certificate and passport. When I applied for my childs passport I had to go to a JP and get it witnessed, but i didnt have to pay any money for it. I just took the sheet of paper the registrar gives you and filled it out in front of the JP and she signed the bottom of it and everything was done.
There is one thing I would advise and that is to get it done properly. I wish I had as it is now causing problems with work etc. They are shouting about this right to work in the UK and you have to provide documentation and they are not very happy about my name change, but have accepted it after a lot of rigmarole.
hope this helps.

lsk24
27-Mar-09, 13:43
i changed my little ones name on birth certificate and dont need to change her passport as it says she was formally known as.... on it

Max
27-Mar-09, 14:33
My child is 17 and has been known by her new surname since she was 11. It is on all her school records, dentist, doctor and National Insurance card etc. However, her old name is on her bank account and passport. She would like to get this changed, for obvious reasons, causes no end of complications, and seem to draw a blank any time she tries to. Does anyone know how she goes about it? Would a Solicitor be the first step?

oscar
27-Mar-09, 15:46
Go in to your local registration office. Staff there will be able to advise you about the change of name procedure in Scotland (£36 fee) or give you a declaration to complete which is signed before a local councillor(no fee). The passport office will accept either of these documents.

weefee
27-Mar-09, 16:00
The cheapest way i have found is to go through deed poll online, you get a certificate to print off with the date and statement which can then be signed by the mother (or adult with parental responsibility) and witnessed by someone over 18, this costs £7.99 and is available within 5 minutes. It also comes with a money back guarentee if it isn't accepted by the passport office.

I have sent the details to the passport office as they didn't have a clue.

I'm sorry but i don't see why i should line solicitors pockets as they charge ridiculous prices for doing minimal work.

molly
27-Mar-09, 17:39
Right a wee soap box moment...... i have to pay £46 for my daughters passport which she will only be able to use for the next 3 years as she will then turn 16 and require an adult passport.

At 6 years old, she decided to take my name rather than her estranged fathers, in Scotland you don't have to "formally" change your name. I myself am listed as something different on my birth certificate and never went through any formal adoption or legal process, i just assumed that name when my folks married.

On renewing my daughters passport, i contacted them to query what would be required, they dictated what i needed to write, was never married, there are no parental responsibility orders, she has used this name since she was 6, i have medical records and school records, i was told this would be adequate.

NO!!! not at all.......I now have to go, pay more ££££ to have her name witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, a solicitor or Notary. I'm so annoyed, i specifically rang them to seek advice and been given incorrect information. I really dont see why i should have to pay for this nonsense when i can provide 6 years worth of evidence that she has used that name.

I am also very confused as to how a child passport costs £46 for 5 years (or 3years use that my daughter will get) and an adult 10 year passport costs £72. How do they come up with these figures???

I appreciate that we are living in a time of identity theft and terrorism ....but where the hell is the common sense?? I doubt it flew off abroad!!!

Thanks ...i will now get off my soapbox :P

My daughter turns 18 this year and her child passport is valid from 2006 until 2011. When she renews it after then she will then have to get an adult passport. My other child had their passport renewed at the same time with the same details, but will get an adult passport on renewal also although she is younger The only difference i can see is the eldest had to sign her passport at the time.