PDA

View Full Version : which one do you prefer?

Vistravi
27-Mar-09, 11:40
I prefer firefox than explorer. there are jus some thigns it's better than explorer at.

kmahon2001
27-Mar-09, 11:58
Does it have to be one or the other?

I always preferred the older version of Netscape (version 7.2), but it is difficult now with so many websites failing to work with that browser. I have now switched to Google Chrome, which seems pretty good to me.

I use Opera too, on occasion, but I do prefer Chrome at the moment.

I wasn't too keen on Firefox when I started to use it because I used to get so many popups for loan companies or insurance companies etc, even though I had popups blocked. Maybe they've sorted that out now, I'm not sure.

I don't use Internet Explorer unless I really have to - I just have this thing against running too many Microsoft programs on my computer. I always try to find alternatives where I can. I don't like the way Microsoft tries to dominate operations on my computer. I like to have a choice. I don't even use Microsoft Office - I use an Office Suite called Open Office, which is free and totally compatible with Microsoft Office.

Gene Hunt
27-Mar-09, 12:38
I had a lot of problems with IE being slow, dumping cookies and all sorts.

After switching to Firefox I have had trouble free browsing and Firefox has loads more options for customising it.

octane
27-Mar-09, 12:46
Firefox has nothing to do with your pop-ups etc, your pc is probally riddled with tracking cookies and or malware/spyware.

Ive ran firefox for years with no interference whatsoever

kmahon2001
27-Mar-09, 13:20
Firefox has nothing to do with your pop-ups etc, your pc is probally riddled with tracking cookies and or malware/spyware.

Ive ran firefox for years with no interference whatsoever

I regularly scan my pc for spyware/malware and tracking cookies, using Norton Internet Security and also Spyware Detector. These popups only ever came up with Firefox - all other browsers are fine.

Invisible
27-Mar-09, 13:22
Firefox. I even entered the t-shirt design competition. i didnt win:~(

jimbews
27-Mar-09, 18:27
I regularly scan my pc for spyware/malware and tracking cookies, using Norton Internet Security and also Spyware Detector. These popups only ever came up with Firefox - all other browsers are fine.

I mainly use Firefox with the Addon "Adblock Plus".
That also allows you to block out advertising sections of website if you want.

Amazing how much faster that makes some sites such as newspapers (e.g. the Groat, P&J, etc).

Also use the free Spybot Search and Destroy.

JimBews

octane
27-Mar-09, 18:35

Not being funny but Spyware detector is one of the worst programs out there, as for NIS its not really up to the job for adware etc

Stefan
27-Mar-09, 18:46
Safari or CometBird, but if I had to decide between the two above certainly Firefox.

jimbews
28-Mar-09, 11:55
I mainly use Firefox with the Addon "Adblock Plus".
That also allows you to block out advertising sections of website if you want.

Also strongly recommend the following Firefox Add-ons:

Foxmarks: synchronize bookmarks across multiple computers (not just PCs) using their server. If not at your own computer you can access your bookmarks at my.foxmarks.com
Now also have a facility to cover Internet Explorer.

CustomizeGoogle: use it to set up how you use Google, and block Google's targeted advertising.

JimBews

Welcomefamily
28-Mar-09, 12:12
Firefox with the cooliris update as I use pictures a lot.