PDA

View Full Version : Dispatching cockerels / rabbits

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 11:43
What is the best method for dispatching cockerels?
Anybody out there who could show me?

Do the same rules apply to chickens than they do to other livestock? So can only the person who owns the chicken then kill and eat it ?
I understand that is the case with pigs and sheep right?

Unless of course you have it all done for you at the abattoir / butcher, but I suppose it doesn't make financial sense for a handful of cockerels, does it?

Same for rabbits. Looking to breed rabbits for meat. Anybody who can teach me to kill and dress them?

Stefan

teenybash
25-Mar-09, 16:32
Woops, I wish I had never read this.....................[disgust]

emszxr
25-Mar-09, 16:49
i just ring their necks for chickens and cockerels if they are enclosed. free range one that i cant get near i just shoot them in head.
as for rabbits again we shoot them. they pretty easy to skin, i start at the chest bone and work knife down and rip the skin off the legs and rest of body.

emszxr
25-Mar-09, 16:50
with the sheep and pig we had, i took pig to abbatoir as you really need to get hair off the pig . i t was 26 quid when i last had this done.
the sheep, we shot in head and skinned and butchered it ourself

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 16:55
I have thought about shooting them, but thought that aiming for such a small head is difficult. I have never used a gun.
What kind of gun do you use (please pm me, don't think that should be discussed here, should it?).
I tried necking cockerels before and just wasn't strong enough. They were really large though. Or maybe I was too squeemish. I just don't like killing with bare hands (don't tell me to put gloves on....).

Stefan

emszxr
25-Mar-09, 17:36
if you have never used a gun before i wouldnt shoot them, as you may injure them and not kill them staright away. and you need a license to have a gun.

i hold them upside down by the legs and hold head and pull hard and twist quite quickly. you will know when you have killed it as you will feel the neck dislodge.

i would try find someone near to you to show you how if you are not sure.
you will get used to killing them yourself.

teenybash
25-Mar-09, 19:07
I have thought about shooting them, but thought that aiming for such a small head is difficult. I have never used a gun.
What kind of gun do you use (please pm me, don't think that should be discussed here, should it?).
I tried necking cockerels before and just wasn't strong enough. They were really large though. Or maybe I was too squeemish. I just don't like killing with bare hands (don't tell me to put gloves on....).

Stefan
Perhaps you should rethink before embarking on killing for the table, as you appear to be very unsure of what it involves. I am sure there are those who know how to kill humanely that would help you.
Perhaps this is not the right place to discuss this topic and the pro's and cons should be talked about privately.

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 19:38
Perhaps you should rethink before embarking on killing for the table, as you appear to be very unsure of what it involves. I am sure there are those who know how to kill humanely that would help you.
Perhaps this is not the right place to discuss this topic and the pro's and cons should be talked about privately.

I agree that discussion should go private.
However I am pretty sure I know what it involves to kill for the table. I used to kill my own quail. I found that easy enough (physically, but nevertheless not enjoyable). I could probably do bantams, but those large fowl were larger than knee high. The guy who was showing me was just pulling and although he was stronger than me, he was struggling.

I need somebody to show me a better technique. Yes I said I don't like killing with bare hands, but in all honesty, I don't know anybody who enjoys the kill, but we all enjoy the meat...

Stefan