PDA

View Full Version : Fog Last Night

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 10:22
Quick question last night it was really foggy coming back into wick and while driving in wick does anyone else this that this warranted driving with fog lights on outside and inside the town ?

loobyloo
21-Mar-09, 13:25
Quick question last night it was really foggy coming back into wick and while driving in wick does anyone else this that this warranted driving with fog lights on outside and inside the town ?

I put my fog lights on. Am I going to get a telling off?:(

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 13:54
Naw just wondering because a friend of mines got pulled by the police last night back of 9 ish and was given a £30 fine for having there fog lights on

Given it was really foggy in and out the town i just cant see how you can give someone a fine for that

DeHaviLand
21-Mar-09, 13:56
Outwith the town, having your foglights on is fine. But please, put them off when someone comes up behind you. Better still, if you dont know how to use fog lights properly, the best thing to do would be to take a hammer, and smash them.

There is absolutely no need to be using fog lights in built up areas, so in town, you should have them off.

People who persist in blinding other road users with their inappropriate use of fog lights should be taken outside the walls of the city and flogged to within an inch of their lives.

There, I feel much better now.

DeHaviLand
21-Mar-09, 13:57
Naw just wondering because a friend of mines got pulled by the police last night back of 9 ish and was given a £30 fine for having there fog lights on

Given it was really foggy in and out the town i just cant see how you can give someone a fine for that

Woohoo, finally someone got just what they deserved. More power to you Mr. Policeman.

joxville
21-Mar-09, 14:00
I agree with DeHaviland, better not to use them than use them inappropriately. I'm sure we've all been stuck behind a driver who uses them needlessly, making concentration difficult.

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 14:02
I do agree with you (both) re the blinding etc but the point I'm getting at is that it was quite bad inside and outside the town last night now on a normal night clear as a bell etc i would have no prob's with a fine etc but last night it was pea soup

Just find it annoying that they pick the one night in as long as i can remember that's its foggy to dish out a fine and if that's the case why are they not our every other night doing the same i mean if you pick a fri or sat night and stand on the bridge and count how many cars do you think you will see i can bet it will be over a dozen if not more

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 14:06
better not to use them than use them inappropriately. I'm sure we've all been stuck behind a driver who uses them needlessly, making concentration difficult.

On that same basis have you ever been driving where someone HASNT put there fog lights on and out of the gloup you come across them (with me it was a tractor and a real brown trouser moment)

I would rather have my fog lights on and get a flash for forgetting to take them off when a car comes up behind me than not have them on at all

loobyloo
21-Mar-09, 14:07
I've only got a piddling, little car and my fog light consists of one of my back lights being marginally brighter, so I wouldn't blind anyone!!!
It was to avoid anyone running into the back of me. Now I realise our boys in blue are oot and aboot with their notebooks and piggy banks, I'll leave them switched off in future.
Thanks for the warning.
And I agree, it was "can't see your hand in front of your face" last night.

DeHaviLand
21-Mar-09, 14:08
I do agree with you (both) re the blinding etc but the point I'm getting at is that it was quite bad inside and outside the town last night now on a normal night clear as a bell etc i would have no prob's with a fine etc but last night it was pea soup

Just find it annoying that they pick the one night in as long as i can remember that's its foggy to dish out a fine and if that's the case why are they not our every other night doing the same i mean if you pick a fri or sat night and stand on the bridge and count how many cars do you think you will see i can bet it will be over a dozen if not more

So, you're arguing that this shouldn't have happened to your friend just because he's your friend? An offence was committed, the offender was caught, and was, quite rightly, punished. Or would you rather that all offences went unpunished?

Personally, I feel that the police aren't tough enough on these miscreants. See my first post for appropriate punishment.:D

joxville
21-Mar-09, 14:13
On that same basis have you ever been driving where someone HASNT put there fog lights on and out of the gloup you come across them (with me it was a tractor and a real brown trouser moment)

I would rather have my fog lights on and get a flash for forgetting to take them off when a car comes up behind me than not have them on at all
I understand what you're saying but if the conditions are so bad that you almost had to change your breeks then to me that means you were driving too fast.

loobyloo
21-Mar-09, 14:13
When is it appropriate to use fog lights then? I couldn't see the car in front of me, figured that it was a tad dangerous and put on my lights. Is this wrong?

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 14:14
And I agree, it was "can't see your hand in front of your face" last night.

The point I'm trying to make

So, you're arguing that this shouldn't have happened to your friend just because he's your friend? An offence was committed, the offender was caught, and was, quite rightly, punished. Or would you rather that all offences went unpunished?

Personally, I feel that the police aren't tough enough on these miscreants. See my first post for appropriate punishment.:D

I'm not disagreeing with your point about driving with fogs on when there is none (as in a normal fri or sat night round here) the point I'm trying to make here is common sense should have prevailed given last night it was pretty bad fog wise i mean if it was a normal night i would have laughed and said that's what you get for being a plank

Also if the "offender" was caught then why was it that they were not out issuing more spot fines to the other "offenders" that had there fogs on last night because erm erm its coming to me aww thats right because it was foggy ?

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 14:16
I understand what you're saying but if the conditions are so bad that you almost had to change your breeks then to me that means you were driving too fast.

Nowt to do with the twisty country road i was on at the time either and a tractor going at an inch an hour as well

joxville
21-Mar-09, 14:17
When is it appropriate to use fog lights then? I couldn't see the car in front of me, figured that it was a tad dangerous and put on my lights. Is this wrong?
From the Highway Code:
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)
keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
use your windscreen wipers and demisters
beware of other drivers not using headlights
not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

wifie
21-Mar-09, 14:21
Oh dear I hope Metalattakk doesn't read this thread! :eek: He will be dancin if he reads "false sense of security"!!!

The Angel Of Death
21-Mar-09, 14:22
So on that when i looked out my window last night and was just able to see the other side of the road it would warrant having fogs on so if it was that bad why issue a fixed penalty for following the rules of the road ? Thats what I'm getting at not the normal run of the mill fri or sat night where every boy racer has them on

loobyloo
21-Mar-09, 14:22
Well, that's proved our point then, cos on the road I was on visibility was seriously reduced to below stated distance.
Is that your bedtime reading then Jox?

joxville
21-Mar-09, 14:31
Well, that's proved our point then, cos on the road I was on visibility was seriously reduced to below stated distance.
Is that your bedtime reading then Jox?

Funny you should ask that, I done a Highway Code quiz a couple of nights ago and scored 87%, annoyed with myself cos two of them were so obvious, have started to swot up on it again.

bish667
21-Mar-09, 14:44
The point is it was foggy so why should someone be fined for using fog lights in the fog. Hence why they are called fog lights: for being used in the fog.
Have i mentioned it was foggy :D

People driving about with fog lights on when its clear is one of my pet hates, but that is not the point of this discussion.

Julia
21-Mar-09, 15:13
I rarely use mine, only when visibility is really low and out of town, if another car creeps up on me I switch them off, it's common sense really.

I bet there is such a thing as 'fog light rage'

DeHaviLand
21-Mar-09, 16:13
The point is it was foggy so why should someone be fined for using fog lights in the fog. Hence why they are called fog lights: for being used in the fog.
Have i mentioned it was foggy :D

People driving about with fog lights on when its clear is one of my pet hates, but that is not the point of this discussion.

It doesn't matter whether it was foggy or not. The point is that if you are driving in fog, with another car behind you, you should not have your fog lights on. So, if you're driving in town, in the fog, there is more than a fair chance that there will be other drivers using the same stretch of road. Therefore, your fog lights should not be used. Quite simple really.

bish667
21-Mar-09, 16:26
It doesn't matter whether it was foggy or not. The point is that if you are driving in fog, with another car behind you, you should not have your fog lights on. So, if you're driving in town, in the fog, there is more than a fair chance that there will be other drivers using the same stretch of road. Therefore, your fog lights should not be used. Quite simple really.

I dont know the exact situation that occured last night to comment any further tbh.

I know personally I never drive with fog lights on in town unless the fog is that thick you cant see your hand in front of your face but thats a rare occurance.
I do believe it is safer to be seen than not seen, so long as your not blinding other people. :cool: