PDA

View Full Version : SLR or Compact

~~Tides~~
20-Mar-09, 14:36
Really undecided at this point. I'm on the cusp of buying a new digital camera (really love photography, but only ever had a couple of really crap cheapy fujifilms).

I've always wanted a good SLR camera, and Jessops have got a really good offer on a Canon 450D, with 2 lenses for £600. However, now at this point I find myself asking questions like, 'when I go a walk with the dog, will I really want to take lenses and bags and equipment?'. So now I'm really confused.

Was looking at Canon Powershot G10, for a good compact, for £370.

Really dont know what to do now (Think it will be a Canon, either way). Any advice or advocates for SLR or compact would potentially be very helpful.

Thanks.

arana negra
20-Mar-09, 15:00
I have a Fujifilm Finepix E550 thanks for your description of it but thankfully you are wrong ! its a great wee camera and other folks seem to like what comes out of mine enough to have them printed and framed. I am sure my husband would not agree about cheap either but then it depends on your definition of cheap and crap.

Good luck with finding what you want and success with the outcome with it.

Mystical Potato Head
20-Mar-09, 18:25
Just sling the camera round your neck,no need for bags of equipment,maybe stick another lens in a coat pocket but there's certainly no need to take everything with you.I usually take the camera with a 17-50mm lens attached and thats all you need for scenic type photos,if i'm going along the shore i might put a 75-300 in a jacket pocket in case some wildlife oppertunity pops up.

Deemac
20-Mar-09, 21:13
Tides, both your chosen options look good.

For long term flexibility & quality with different lens options in the future etc you just can't beat an SLR. It can sometimes be a pain carrying all the equipment, but as with everything in life you get out what you put in.

A compact such as the G10 should also give great results but with slightly more limited scope, but is far more likely to be taken out in those more casual occasions.

Ideally you would have both, but for me I'd go for the 450D. It will be the start of a great adventure.

~~Tides~~
21-Mar-09, 23:09
Hi thanks for the advice!

Re. the fujifilms, Which? said of my model of camera, it was the worst they had ever tested.

Anyway, yeah, think it will be a SLR now. Kind of stuck now between the Canon EOS 450d and Nikon D60. Canon has 12mpx CMOS, D60 has only 10, but has a slightly larger CCD sensor. Anyone have anythoughts?

For some reason I just feel a bit more pulled towards the Canon, but the sensible part of me says 'look, the Nikon is £110 cheaper!'.

Jessops have what looks a really good deal on both just now, Camera + card + 2 lenses.

nirofo
22-Mar-09, 02:25
Go for the Nikon and buy a better lens with the £110.

nirofo.

Deemac
22-Mar-09, 03:22
Don't buy from Jessops. Worst camera company I ever dealt with!!

Check out: www.camerapricebuster.co.uk (http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk) for your options.

tjc
22-Mar-09, 12:07
Tides... I`ve PM`d you. :)