PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Anonymous
25-Sep-03, 12:25
Here is a dilemma that one some times comes across now and again.
Its the one where some one is working yet claming benefit, i know working on the brew is normal these days, but this is working when one is suppose to be on the sick and not just at one job but some times two.
So what you do, what would you say to this sort of person, do you condone it, say to them "good luck" and wish them well.
Boy its a hard one, i can not work it out at all, here are folks so fit they work on the sick, then the goverment say to folks who need the money, "sorry its all gone".
Now What would you do?????????.

golach
25-Sep-03, 12:32
George, there is no dilemma.... Shop them!!!!......they are bleeding the country dry
Golach

jjc
25-Sep-03, 14:28
Have to agree with Golach on this one, George. It's not like benefit fraud is a victimless crime - we pay taxes to subsidise them, others get less because of them... it's just wrong.

ESPECIALLY in light of yet another rise in petrol tax - not only am I now subsidising this person through my pay packet, I'm also giving them money every time I fill my tank with petrol!!!

Anonymous
25-Sep-03, 17:18
But what if it some one you know?, its getting quit hard now for me to put much more, as this is not a game its the real world where folks get hurt for opening there mouths.
Its a hard one for me, i just wanted to see what others would do in my place.
Thank you for reading this.
Yours, a worried George

htwood
25-Sep-03, 19:52
It's hard when fear gets in the way of us saying whats on our minds. But my mother taught me that one can say just about anything, if its said clearly and politely.

"How can you work when yer on the sick?" :eyes
"What will happen to you if they find out?" :eek:
"Are my taxes subsidising your sick pay?" :~(

Just simple questions that bring the situation into the light, that opens the door to conversation and let's him know he's not fooling everyone.

golach
25-Sep-03, 20:09
JJC,
I do agree with you, the benifit fraudsters are a drain on our economy.
I have been in employment virually all my working life, and paid my taxes, not petrol duty I must admit as I dont drive, but I have paid my way willingly through out my working life
for my benifit and my familys benift....not for the benifit of spongers and CROOKS because thats what they are because what they are doing is basically theft.
The Fraudsters are stealing from the working community, just the same as if they were mugging an OAP in the street, or breaking into your house.
We the working community should pay our taxes and Nat.Insurance Contributions to help the less well off.I see nothing wrong in that, if you are disabled through injury or medical reasons, ok get help to live a decent and comfortable life.
But the Fraudsters want it all ways get the benifit and work on the side dont pay tax dont pay Nat Ins Conts, but give me every thing I can get because the Government can afford it. Well wise up the Government cannot afford it,
So George shop them Anonimouslly
An Irate Golach [mad]

Anonymous
25-Sep-03, 20:25
JJC,
likeways I don't agree with you, the benifit fraudsters are a drain on our economy. I have been in employment virually all my working life, and paid my taxes, not petrol duty I must admit as I dont drive, but I have paid my way willingly through out my working life
for my benifit and my familys benift....not for the benifit of spongers and CROOKS because thats what they are because what they are doing is basically theft.
The Fraudsters are stealing from the working community, just the same as if they were mugging an OAP in the street, or breaking into your house.
Ok JJC says we the working community should pay our taxes and Nat.Insurance Contributions to help the less well off.I see nothing wrong in that, if you are disabled through injury or medical reasons, ok get help to live a decent and comfortable life.
But the Fraudsters want it all ways get the benifit and work on the side dont pay tax dont pay Nat Ins Conts, but give me every thing I can get because the Government can afford it. Well wise up the Government cannot afford it,
So George shop them Anonimouslly
An Irate Golach [mad] Sorry but i have been ill for over 20 yrs now after a bad fall in which i lost my kneecap and it left me in quite bad health and has done ever since, i fact now i am a dieabetic with bad assmma and Cronic Congestion of the airways.
But in all this time there has never been one day when i wish it was not me, i had my own busniss i used to be a market trader, boy i miss them days.

golach
25-Sep-03, 21:09
George'
if I sounded as if I was getting at you, I am truly sorry I wasn't, I am all for anyone in the same predicament as your self to be fully looked after by the state.
Its the ones that can work and are fit that just will not work that make me angry
a humble Golach

jjc
25-Sep-03, 21:43
I'm just confused now Golach... From your post you seem to be agreeing with me, but you said you don't. Being the narcissistic chap I am I think I will assume a typo :D

Anyway, George, it sounds very much like you have genuine health problems. Therefore it must be doubly galling to see somebody you know fraudulently claiming benefit!! It’s difficult when somebody you know habitually does something you morally object to – especially, I would imagine, when they are faking something that you have to suffer with every day just for a ‘fast buck’ – but there really aren’t many options open to you.

Either you can:
a) ignore it
b) shop them
c) try to get them to change their ways

But then, if you are going to go for option ‘a’ then you would need to ask yourself if you can live with somebody you know constantly offending you in this way. If the answer is no then you need to ignore them as well as their crimes – and if you really can live without them as friends then are you really doing the right thing by ignoring the situation just to save face with them???

Hmmm… difficult choice. I know that I have purposefully avoided people before because I disapproved of their lifestyles (drugs/cheating on partners/etc.), but it really would depend on how close a friend this person is.

Good luck!

squidge
25-Sep-03, 23:19
George

I truly sympathise with you.

It is very very difficult to make the decision to do the right thing when it is someone you know who maybe is close to you and your family. This is not an issue of someone doing an odd job to get a bit of extra money to buy the kids shoes or to get some Christmas pressies. This appears to be a systematic fraud.

Remember - not only is this person likely to be getting their sick pay they could be getting their rent or mortgage paid; they will largely be getting their council tax paid for them; they could be getting free school meals if they have children; they might be getting a disability payment which increases their benefit; they could be getting loans or credit agreements paid for under an insurance policy because they are getting sickness benefit. the point is this - they could be getting far more in the way of benefits than they are simply cashing at the post office. Lets have a look at this in more detail

Man plus wife plus two kids

On top of cash benefits would be getting

£60 rent rebate
£10 council tax rebate
£15 school meals
£10 disability payment

Thats a possible £100 per week on top of whatever cash benefit he is getting. Now if he is in need it is absolutely right he should get this money but this man is not sick he is perfectly able to work and pay his way. Why should he get something for nothing? You dont, I dont, This is fraud and it costs millions each year.

If you dont want to contact your local office then you can call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440

Do the RIGHT thing George
and check this out

http://www.targetingfraud.gov.uk/

Liz
25-Sep-03, 23:49
Hi George!

You have my sympathy, in fact my empathy, as I haven't been able to work for a lot of years due to numerous genuine health reasons and, like you, I find it very difficult to see people pretending to be sick ,and probably getting more benefits than the genuinely ill ,because they milk the system for all it's worth. What's more we're all made to feel like 'scroungers' especially by the Government.

I know a few people like this and I have to admit I haven't had the courage to 'shop' them although I've been sorely tempted.
I do feel they will be 'caught out' by time though.

At least you can go to your bed at night with a clear conscience knowing you don't need to fear a phone call or a knock at your door because you've been 'found out'.

Remember though if you do report them it is completely anonymously and you don't need to feel guilty. They're the guilty party after all!

Good luck!

©Amethyst
26-Sep-03, 01:05
The DSS seem to be promoting some kind of scheme for disabled people.
This is the scheme where if you have any kind of disability you can get the help and support needed in finding and keeping a job without it affecting your benefits.

I think this is really for those who've had their doctor prove somehow that they are disabled - something like the doctor has to fill in this huge form and send it south. Or something like that.

I'm not sure how it works but it seems that not all who claim benefits want to leave it at that. Some actually want to get jobs.

As for those actually cheating the system... that's where courts and lawyers come in - I'm sure most of them get found out sooner or later, aye?

Anonymous
27-Sep-03, 18:22
I still do not know what to do as i have warned to leave it alone, but thats made me quite mad now, I did some checking up and yes disabled folks can up 16 hours aweek befor benefits are afected, but then if you can work more than this why are you on the sick.
Oh its quite puzling altogether, i have always be of the understanding that, if you are sick or on the sick then one is un fit to work, its a striage world we live in, where do we draw the line.
Well as i have all ready put i can not say much more as i have been warned off close to home. Thank you so much for your help, its nice to know there are some good folk out there still.
Yours sincere.
George

Liz
27-Sep-03, 20:21
Hello George,

I really think as your'e ill yourself and it's obviously affecting you, that you should forget about it. They will get caught eventually!
What people forget is there is a difference between being ill and disabled. There are many people with disabilities who are able to, and want to, work.
It's a different thing for people like you and me who are ill as we are physically unable to work.

Look after yourself and don't worry about the blighters who are abusing the system. [mad]
It's not worth making yourself more ill than you are.

Very best wishes to you
Take care
Liz