PDA

View Full Version : Planes leaving Wick today ?

Iffy
19-Mar-09, 14:22
Just back from a long walk and saw three planes leaving Wick airfield consecutively.
Due to the strong sun we couldn't get a proper view of them, even through binoculars, but my OH is postive they are Second World War planes as they were dark grey in colour.
They seemed to be heading in the direction of Kirkwall.
Has anyone heard if there's an air show on, or possibly they just dropped by Wick to re-fuel ?

Kevin Milkins
19-Mar-09, 14:56
Hi Iffy

We have just got back from walking in Reiss dunes and as the wind was blowing from the South I remarked to Mrs M that there was a strong smell of aviation fuel drifting up from the airport and it is somthing that I had never noticed before.

As we were driving up the lane we saw the planes taking off,but as you said with the strong sunlight from that direction it was hard to see what they were.:confused

Iffy
19-Mar-09, 15:08
Hi Kevin

Yes, that's what we noticed as well, a very strong smell of aviation fuel, which neither of us has noticed before !

Kodiak
19-Mar-09, 15:32
Flight 51 which was last seen in the Bermuda Triangle in the 1940's perhaps.

MadPict
19-Mar-09, 15:43
Just back from a long walk and saw three planes leaving Wick airfield consecutively.
Due to the strong sun we couldn't get a proper view of them, even through binoculars, but my OH is postive they are Second World War planes as they were dark grey in colour.
They seemed to be heading in the direction of Kirkwall.
Has anyone heard if there's an air show on, or possibly they just dropped by Wick to re-fuel ?

Modern military aircraft use air-superiority grey overall - training aircraft tend to be painted black.

WWII aircraft tended to use camouflage/olive drab paint schemes.

Wick tends to be used as a stopover/refuel point for aircraft flying the pond and as far as I am aware there is nothing coming this way or going the other for any airshows. The proposed re-run of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning "Glacier Girl" which didn't make it in 2007/8 doesn't look like it will make it this year either. :(