PDA

View Full Version : Postmster Refuses to Serve People who Don't Speak English!!

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-09, 10:24
A postmaster in England is refusing to serve anyone who doesn't speak English.

What do you all think of this?

Personally, I didn't think anyone would get away with this in this day and age....?? They certainly wouldn't if they were a white postmaster. (This man is coloured.)

His argument is that people in a queue in his shop/PO won't bother waiting while he trys to decipher what the foreign person wants.

However, I do think that if someone wants to live in a country that is not of their native language they should learn the language.

It makes me think of when I'm abroad and trying to buy something from the locals....how would I feel if they wouldn't serve me? I wouldn't be very pleased. (But there again, if I was living there I would know how to ask for the basic necessities.)

The link for the story is:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7951778.stm

MadPict
19-Mar-09, 12:11
He managed to learn English - I think he has a valid point. Integration into a country means a bit more than moving there, then sitting snug in a little 'micro-nation' of your fellow countrymen.
If you move to a country where English isn't the first language you should make efforts to at least get a grasp of the host nations mother tongue. You may not be fluent but should be able to be understood.
No-one is asking these migrants to become the next poet laureate - just to be able to ask for a book of stamps or a loaf of bread.
And if this Postmaster was white, the anti-racism brigade would be crawling all over the story...

Bazeye
19-Mar-09, 12:44
Ignoring the argument whether its right or wrong, how the hell is he supposed to serve people if he doesnt know what they want. And, be honest how would you feel if you were in the queue behind them?

Gene Hunt
19-Mar-09, 13:00
I read the article in the Mail and it did say that he would serve the non English speakers if they returned with an someone who would interpret for them. He is obviously someone who has come to this country, works hard and respects the customs and traditions. He stands up for them too, good for him.

I worked in Germany for a while and learnt a lot of the lingo, it was apreciated by my hosts and made my stay a lot more enjoyable. I found that if I made the effort they would help me out, often finishing my sentences for me until I was up to speed. They knew my German was rubbish but the fact I was trying came across as really important to them.

Bad Manners
19-Mar-09, 13:44
I have lived and worked in a few countries now and have always made an effort to learn the basics of the host countrys laungage. however on the occasions where i neaded help I enlisted the help of a translater.
At the end of the day be it whatever type of business you cant afford to turn away good custom in this instance I believe he is right he can serve more customers and if the non english speaking customers have a translater then all are served.

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-09, 13:51
I found that if I made the effort they would help me out, often finishing my sentences for me until I was up to speed. They knew my German was rubbish but the fact I was trying came across as really important to them.

Yeah, that's what I've found as well (although only on holiday and not living in the country). You try your best to speak their language and they are happy to help you out.

arana negra
19-Mar-09, 17:09
This made me remember of an incident at the Scottish/English border many years ago and of one in Manchester some years previous to first incident. My then husband and our lads decided to take a trip across the 'border' into England on a Sunday and thought while there we would buy some milk to take back to caravan. The only open shop we found said they did not sell milk on a Sunday BUT there was plenty on the shelves and no sign to indicate it was not allowed to be sold on a Sunday. We guessed they did not want to sell it us scots folks. The other incident was when my sister and I went to the sweet shop near my aunts house in the Manchester area. Firstly they would only let 2 kids in at a time (this was back in 1960s) and then they would not serve us as we were Scottish kids, my uncle was none to pleased. It was enough to send my mother to pack and we headed back across the great divide to friendlier lands :)

I wish employers would make sure that non native speaking employees could at least manage to understand the words for the goods/services they are meant to be selling. Our recent trip back to the UK was another eye opener. Good luck to him sounds semsible to me.

Fly
20-Mar-09, 00:21
If you go to live in any country the least you can do is learn the language, otherwise stay at home.

jock leith
20-Mar-09, 03:41
No chance of him opening a shop in Wick then,he would be bankrupt within a week:lol:

hotrod4
20-Mar-09, 06:27
At first I thought this guy was "Kettle pot black" but then the more I read about it I must applaud the guy.As an asian he must now have some right wing buddies who like him,something which is unheard of!
He is proof that some immigrants take on the nationality and at least try and integrate unlike the rest who couldnt care as long as we are supporting them.
Well done to him a bit of common sense at last,he is proof that there are some out there who dont see Britain as a soft touch.Things must be bad when a former immigrant is annoyed at the state of Britains immigration.

joxville
20-Mar-09, 06:51
I fully understand his reasons but, regardless of colour, what does he do when he has a customer with speech difficulties that makes them very hard to understand? He can't refuse to serve them because of their disability so I don't think his defence would stand up in refusing to serve those with a poor grasp of English.

PS Good morning Hotrod,glad I'm not the only one up early.

Bazeye
20-Mar-09, 12:04
At first I thought this guy was "Kettle pot black" but then the more I read about it I must applaud the guy.As an asian he must now have some right wing buddies who like him,something which is unheard of!
He is proof that some immigrants take on the nationality and at least try and integrate unlike the rest who couldnt care as long as we are supporting them.
Well done to him a bit of common sense at last,he is proof that there are some out there who dont see Britain as a soft touch.Things must be bad when a former immigrant is annoyed at the state of Britains immigration.

Hes even got the Union flag in his garden. I cant help thinking that if more immigrants adopted his attitude there would be a hell of a lot less racism in this country

dellwak
20-Mar-09, 12:30
I had exactly the same thing happen to me once in Germany.
The postmaster in a village post office refused to serve me. He told me to come back when I had learned enough german to explain what I wanted.
So I did.
A couple of months later I went back with a parcel for someone in Jamaica. I told the man what I wanted and he said to me "Er! where is Jamaica?". With that, he pulled out a map of the world and started searching over by south India.
I told him that seeing as I had taken the trouble to learn german, perhaps he could take the trouble to learn some geography.

percy toboggan
20-Mar-09, 14:31
This is the kind of person who should sit in the House of Lords when it becomes a fully elected second chamber. People who fight their corner, who appreciate the nation and back Britain and British values. Who also have the guts to speak their mind.

That said I have been a foreigner in a country and struggled to buy a stamp...it encouraged me to learn the lingo for next time.

hotrod4
20-Mar-09, 18:50
Hes even got the Union flag in his garden. I cant help thinking that if more immigrants adopted his attitude there would be a hell of a lot less racism in this country
My thoughts exactly well put!!!

Solus
20-Mar-09, 18:55
and what of the tourist, who stumbles on his post office, pops in to get a stamp for his postcards , speaking little or limited english. Fine example of our country to take home after his holiday.

hotrod4
20-Mar-09, 18:57
and what of the tourist, who stumbles on his post office, pops in to get a stamp for his postcards , speaking little or limited english. Fine example of our country to take home after his holiday.
You have a point there,but you can normally spot the tourist a mile away, cagool,bumbag,shorts and sandals!!:lol:

davie
20-Mar-09, 20:35
No chance of him opening a shop in Wick then,he would be bankrupt within a week:lol:

I wanted to say that but I am too near Week to chance it - you may not be safe even in NZ. Some of these Weekers can be gey coorse, and the men are just as bad

JAWS
20-Mar-09, 22:55
I fully understand his reasons but, regardless of colour, what does he do when he has a customer with speech difficulties that makes them very hard to understand? He can't refuse to serve them because of their disability so I don't think his defence would stand up in refusing to serve those with a poor grasp of English.. There is a huge difference between somebody who has a speech impediment and has difficulty as a result and somebody who just can’t be bothered to even try and learn the language of the country they live in.

and what of the tourist, who stumbles on his post office, pops in to get a stamp for his postcards , speaking little or limited english. Fine example of our country to take home after his holiday. Yet another feeble objection to what he is doing. He obviously knows his local, regular customers and is speaking of those people who are long term residents here.
There is nothing in the article to indicate he would treat a tourist any differently to any other reasonable shop keeper.

If I go to another Country either as a resident or as a visitor it is up to me to make the effort to make myself understood and to ensure I abide by their traditions and customs.
It is most certainly not the duty of the people in that country to learn my language and to adopt to my traditions and customs for my benefit.

bekisman
21-Mar-09, 18:54
See he's left his job:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7956570.stm

joxville
21-Mar-09, 19:11
See he's left his job:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7956570.stm

Has he been given a new post? :)

alex
22-Mar-09, 16:17
Well, I would never have got anything achieved in Zambia if 'd had to learn even a sample of the 72 - yes, seventy-two - official national languages here. Much as there is a lot to regret about Empire and globalisation by us and now the Americans I am grateful to be born to speak the language that works (sort of) all over the world.

I know I should have learnt more of the local languages and so feel guilty and grateful in equal measures.

Tristan
28-Mar-09, 07:59
Love him or hate him he was given a new post but now his contract was not renewed and he is out of work.