PDA

View Full Version : IT in Thurso

Connor.
18-Mar-09, 14:35
I was quite surprised to find the lack of IT jobs in Thurso. I've queried everywhere but to no avail. For somewhere that has many businesses I would of expected more being available, especially for younger people who want to advance in IT.

Do you think that an IT job in a town is potentially a bad idea?

Metalattakk
18-Mar-09, 14:57
You obviously haven't done your research, Connor.

Thurso currently hosts one of the largest IT companies (http://www.navertech.com) in the north of Scotland, mainly employing local people.

Maybe you should keep an eye on the Jobs section here on caithness.org.

*Martin*
18-Mar-09, 14:58
http://adscam.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfa1853ef01053713a809970b-800wi

I thought there was always room for IT regardless of location...

Connor.
18-Mar-09, 15:11
You obviously haven't done your research, Connor.

Thurso currently hosts one of the largest IT companies (http://www.navertech.com) in the north of Scotland, mainly employing local people.

Maybe you should keep an eye on the Jobs section here on caithness.org.

I've sent applications to Navertech, Forss Business Park, ISaT and Morsons.

None of which have vacancies coming up or anything.

BMcGillivray
18-Mar-09, 15:12
I was quite surprised to find the lack of IT jobs in Thurso.

Maybe at the moment, but some should pop up eventually, i would guess most IT positions locally have been filled, with more people trying to get into IT jobs than positions currently available.

I've queried everywhere but to no avail.

Where have you tried?

For somewhere that has many businesses I would of expected more being available, especially for younger people who want to advance in IT.

In what area of IT are you looking to advance in?

Do you think that an IT job in a town is potentially a bad idea?

What do you mean by a bad idea? Theres no shortage of IT work, and no shortage of people wanting to get into IT. It really depends what type of work you're looking to do, IT is a broad field these days.

Connor.
18-Mar-09, 15:18
Where have you tried?

Navertech, Morsons, ISaT, Forss Business Park was going to try Vulcan but couldn't find a contact address to go to the jobs department.

In what area of IT are you looking to advance in?

I have experience in Software Development, Website Design and Graphics Design. So really I'd like to advance in anything.

What do you mean by a bad idea? Theres no shortage of IT work, and no shortage of people wanting to get into IT. It really depends what type of work you're looking to do, IT is a broad field these days.

I know but I mean with busineses in towns there is generally no vacancies, I thought that if I moved to a city I would have more oppurtunities and a wide market to jump into.

BMcGillivray
18-Mar-09, 15:35
Navertech, Morsons, ISaT, Forss Business Park was going to try Vulcan but couldn't find a contact address to go to the jobs department.

Well, all i can say is to be patient, positions may become available, not great times for companies to be expanding. I do know that Navertech has grown quite a lot in the last couple of years though.

I have experience in Software Development, Website Design and Graphics Design. So really I'd like to advance in anything.

Have you got a portfolio? Examples of work in those areas that you can show these companies?

I know but I mean with busineses in towns there is generally no vacancies, I thought that if I moved to a city I would have more oppurtunities and a wide market to jump into.

I would imagine in the current climate, you could end up struggling down south too.

Theres quite a large IT presence in the Highlands surprisingly, partly because of the Dounreay decommissioning. Again, if you check the Navertech website link posted above, and look at their portfolio, they do work for companies all over the place.

riggerboy
18-Mar-09, 15:35
there are lots of ITs in thurso in fact thurso is full of ITs, maybe even the IT capital of the world, the word IT and THAT were invented for thurso, because there are so many ITs living there, not so many THATs be more than enough ITs ( please take as its meant fun) teena bowlies have very little sense of humour lol