PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Gala Ideas

Gogglebox
21-Feb-06, 02:03
Anyone got any good ideas what they might like to see in the Gala week this year

Just looking for some ideas to suggest, preferably good fund raising ones but not all have to be about making a fortune some can be run for fun and community entertainment

I promise to take all sensible sugestions along for consideration

Hope to maybe try and do a few things outwith the normal gala week to provide entertainment and fundraiisng throughout the year

The Town Improvements raises money to try an better the local community

If we can get help in constructing the right programme the community will enjoy it more and benefit more
So lets hear your ideas

pie2000
21-Feb-06, 13:22
I think all the org's should get together and do a float! The theme could be a big boxing ring wi everyone in it haha!

dozy
21-Feb-06, 13:33
How about a soapbox race against the clock or locally known as karty racing .A prize for the fastest ,best built and the funnist .The start line at the high school and the finish at the Towns clock . You could have a teams from clubs and pubs and a singles race ,all must have sponsers like F1 cars .Just good clean fun . Camcorders at the READY.

Saveman
21-Feb-06, 13:36
I think all the org's should get together and do a float! The theme could be a big boxing ring wi everyone in it haha!

LOL that would be funny......

moncur
21-Feb-06, 14:26
Are there any plans to have local bands playing? It would be good to have something to showcase local music of all genres in the town square. I know that some bands were playing there during the festive season but I think it would be more enjoyable for people if it also happened during the summer months.

pedromcgrory
21-Feb-06, 14:28
fishing competition at scrabster pier all ages biggest fish gets picture on the org etc, 4 pound entry ,tea coffe stall for extra cash ,pool competions etc darts kids during day adualts at night ,donate an old dvd then sell all of them at end on ebay ,surf competion sure the surf shop would get involved as theres a lot of intrest in surf just now ,bowling competions junior then adualts sure local buisnesses would agree for cheaper prices etc for a whole day .everyone likes a competion id say but its hard to think when ur on the spot, ideas i mean

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 14:48
What about a duck race? the 1 where ye make sure the tide is going OUT not in on Thurso River. Im sure they did it on Wick River last year ,Finally!
Every1 buys a ticket with a number on it to correspond with their plastic Duck, & let water run its course,Easy but good fun:p

I suggested it to the town improvements 10 years ago after seeing it in Aberdeen, they just scowled when i suggested this & sea Angling or Rock Fishing Competition. Ill give them their due tho, they updated the comittee & things improved a lot .Is it like that upwith ye folk in thurso? or are are ye miles ahead of us?

jay
21-Feb-06, 16:40
perhaps it might be an idea if someone told us what usually happens during THurso gala - for example the duck race has been a regular thing for years and I believe there has been a fishing competition the last couple of years both of which have just been suggested - so give us a list of usual events and we can try to come up with others - personally I think the karty race sounds great fun!

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 17:09
Well thats egg on my face there , I had no idea they had 1 ? But Karty race sounds good fun. Banger Racing? went down a storm in Wick

Gogglebox
21-Feb-06, 19:06
Thanks for all so far

I'm ruling nothing out and nothing in yet but really like the Soapbox/Kartie derby

We've had Duck race and Fishing before and im sure they may feature again I'll certainly push it forward with every other idea i get Hoping to find some way to showcase local bands

The big problem in this day and age is Health & Safety and Insurance but everythings possible if theres a common will

Keep the ideas coming
Much appreciated
thanks

callum
22-Feb-06, 02:21
why not invite one of the services for demonstations ,dog,handling or pipes and drums that would attract the crowds

Mr P Cannop
22-Feb-06, 07:05
how about a massed pipe bands a caithness massed pipes and drums ??

angela5
22-Feb-06, 09:09

[lol] [lol] who would go in the boxing ring pie2000???

pie2000
22-Feb-06, 16:11
I dont think I should mention names angela5 but we would need a brave person to be the referee eh !!!!! [lol] :eyes

DeePee
22-Feb-06, 20:52
I was thinking a Johnstons Pie eating competition might go down well. It's about time professional eating made its way this far north. I have a good idea of how it could be planned out. Any questions then just ask.[smirk]

pie2000
22-Feb-06, 21:56
[lol] Bet I could win at one[lol]

Bobinovich
22-Feb-06, 23:16
I was thinking a Johnstons Pie eating competition might go down well. It's about time professional eating made its way this far north. I have a good idea of how it could be planned out. Any questions then just ask.[smirk]

OMG YES! I'll volunteer!! I'd even pay to take part!

Bring 'em on and stuff the diet...:lol:

2little2late
22-Feb-06, 23:23
How about a donkey derby. I remember when I was a bairn and we used to go to visit my granny and grandad in Ballater during the summer. During the Highland games there was a donkey derby and my little sister who was only about 8 at the time put a bet on a donkey. When it came first she started crying and saying "But I don't want a donkey".

Loafer
23-Feb-06, 07:59
How about stopping the Gala for a couple of years? I am not being flippant, but it has definately lost it's zest over the last few years. If you take away the banger derby, the rest has been a disaster.

I understand Wick did this a few years back and it raised the profile again.

The Loafer

pie2000
23-Feb-06, 09:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeePee

OMG YES! I'll volunteer!! I'd even pay to take part!

Bring 'em on and stuff the diet...:lol:

It is shaping up to be quite a competition :D

AR
24-Feb-06, 22:49
How about stopping the Gala for a couple of years? I am not being flippant, but it has definately lost it's zest over the last few years. If you take away the banger derby, the rest has been a disaster.

I understand Wick did this a few years back and it raised the profile again.

The Loafer
I cant remember Wick doing that? Am i wrong?

connieb19
24-Feb-06, 23:09
I think all the org's should get together and do a float! The theme could be a big boxing ring wi everyone in it haha!What a brilliant idea...lol[lol] [lol] We could all dress up as each other, or as what we imagine each other to look like. [para]

angela5
24-Feb-06, 23:14
What a brilliant idea...lol[lol] [lol] We could all dress up as each other, or as what we imagine each other to look like. [para]

I'll dress up as you connie...Mrs Doubtfire....[lol] they wont put me in the boxing ring then..who'd hit an old lady?

Gogglebox
25-Feb-06, 00:21
Be a shame to stop it for a period as it become part of your memories from when your a kid

A programme is well under development for this year and including hopefully if we can manage it some of the ideas that have come of this thread so keep them coming

Hopefully there will be something aimed at kids, teenagers and adults

Keep the ideas coming some of them are good, some might not get done for a while but we'll maybe try and fit them in further down the line

cheers for your help so far

Katy
25-Feb-06, 14:39
I canne mind Wick not having a gala a few years back. I have taken part in nearly every gala for about 10yrs or was it before then?? Wick's gala always seems to get more attention than Thurso - maybe need to speak to the Wick Committee to get ideas...

Loafer
26-Feb-06, 19:13
I am talking of 15 or 20 years ago. I was told this by some of the people at work a few moons ago. Maybe I am wrong. But the Wick Gala seems to be thriving, but a few years ago it was dead on it's feet too.

The Loafer

Gogglebox
01-Mar-06, 11:50
Thanks for all the contributions so far
Really appreciated

Keep the ideas coming

pie2000
02-Mar-06, 15:38
for the float we could use this thread as inspiration!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=6361

could have a lot of fun with that:lol: :lol:

weefee
02-Mar-06, 15:59
how about a treasure hunt round thurso, you could do it teams/family, we used to have one once every month in edinburgh at work, usually the items would have to be collected in various drinking establishments but it could be altered to suit families and kids. we had to collect various items (including womens lingirie items in a particular size and colour) and solve clues and riddles, team back in the quickest time with the most items on the list was the winner,