PDA

View Full Version : Royal Bar

bonami
15-Mar-09, 21:25
Can anyone tell me exactly in Wick the old Royal Bar was . I always thought it was at the corner of Smith Terr Vansittard St next to Angie Bains barbar shop but some older people think it was somewhere else in the area. There is a small site there but it must have been a small building that stood there.

Wick66
15-Mar-09, 21:34
You are close. It was where Royal Terrace joins Vansitard Street, just up from Angie Bians shop.

jock leith
15-Mar-09, 22:01
Can anyone tell me exactly in Wick the old Royal Bar was . I always thought it was at the corner of Smith Terr Vansittard St next to Angie Bains barbar shop but some older people think it was somewhere else in the area. There is a small site there but it must have been a small building that stood there.

If my memory is correct the Royal was in Kinnaird Street not far from where the chippy was in the 70's
JL

peter macdonald
15-Mar-09, 22:17
Jock Bon Ami is spot on with its location .Wull Sinclair had the pub before he bought the Mountain Dew

trinkie
15-Mar-09, 22:18
I think it was in Vansittart Street ( which had been called Royal street) In the middle on the left, going down toward the sea.

cheers !

Whitewater
16-Mar-09, 00:46
I have a hand drawn map by Ian Sutherland entitled " The backside o' Poltney". It shows a street called "The Royal Street" and located in it is the Royal Bar. The Royal street was where Vansittart St now stands, and looking at Ians map, the Royal Hotel seems like it used to stand where the road through Royal Tr now runs. My interest has been aroused as my fathers aunt Maggie Donn used to run it, but that was many moons ago.

jock leith
16-Mar-09, 10:06
Jock Bon Ami is spot on with its location .Wull Sinclair had the pub before he bought the Mountain Dew

Yes Peter you are correct been away for too long,I think Wull Sinclair lived in Kinnaird street,shoud have remembered better as all the old timers used to walk down Harrow Hill on a Saturday Night from Kennedy Terrace.Gran used to bring us home a fish supper from John Cormacks.It was early closing in those days.
Regards JL

peter macdonald
16-Mar-09, 12:44
Whitewater
Mrs Donn gets a slight mention on www.wkboats.co.uk as owner of the Cordelia !!
Jock thats right about Wull living there There a pic of Johners on the gallery of wkboats site now

bonami
16-Mar-09, 21:27
:lol:Thanks to you all for the info. Must say that I never knew Vansittard St used to be Royal St I always thought it was one of the streets named after the big shots of the British Fisheries who designed Pultneytown. You always learn something new on the net.