PDA

View Full Version : Optical zoom

shazzap
15-Mar-09, 00:00
A question for all you experts on here who know about cameras.What is the most x optical zoom you can get in a compact camera, and which compacts have this please.

Mystical Potato Head
15-Mar-09, 00:15
Panasonic do a 18x optical zoom.I know asolutely nothing about them but here is a link about it.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230508997/Product.aspx?source=35735

Its about as near as you can get to a dslr without having to change lenses.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here from ppl who use compacts.I have dslr's and know nothing about them either:lol:

shazzap
15-Mar-09, 00:43
Panasonic do a 18x optical zoom.I know asolutely nothing about them but here is a link about it.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230508997/Product.aspx?source=35735

Its about as near as you can get to a dslr without having to change lenses.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here from ppl who use compacts.I have dslr's and know nothing about them either:lol:

I have a Fufi Finepix S5700 and the Panasonic looks like it is around the same dimensions. I am looking for one smaller and more compact that will take good scenic photos,but thank you for the link anyway all help and suggestions welcome since my illness i want something a little less bulky to carry about,

sprint95m
15-Mar-09, 12:55
A question for all you experts on here who know about cameras.What is the most x optical zoom you can get in a compact camera, and which compacts have this please.

Better to compare the actual focal length range offered by the zoom rather than the "x optical zoom" because the latter can be misleading as it is based on the lowest focal length.
For example, 35-105mm and 70-210mm are both three times zoom lenses, but 210mm gives twice the magnification of 105mm.

shazzap
15-Mar-09, 14:53
Better to compare the actual focal length range offered by the zoom rather than the "x optical zoom" because the latter can be misleading as it is based on the lowest focal length.
For example, 35-105mm and 70-210mm are both three times zoom lenses, but 210mm gives twice the magnification of 105mm.

Is it the latter number that matters then?
Are these dimensions on all cameras?
What would i be looking at in x optical and mm in a compact camera to
get good scenery shots please.

sprint95m
17-Mar-09, 00:22
Is it the latter number that matters then?
No, it is the whole range that matters.

Are these dimensions on all cameras?
Yes.

What would i be looking at in x optical and mm in a compact camera to
get good scenery shots please.
I am afraid I get a bit confused with the way digital camera specifications are presented but most give an equivalent to good old 35mm film focal lengths which makes things more understandable, so using that as a guide I suggest 35-105mm.

(For a given magnification factor, focal lengths vary according to the actual physical size of the film or sensor.)

In 35mm film terms, 50mm is what our eyes see which gives a true perspective. Lower focal lengths are wide angle, the lower you go the more the perspective is distorted making the scenery appear smaller and further away (but including more in the picture). Higher numbers are telephoto which distorts the perspective by bringing things closer.
With a 35-105 this perspective distortion is not too bad in my opinion.

When it comes to choosing a camera (like many things) there is not a single easy answer. If there was I guess the choice would be limited to just one or two models only! Whatever you choose, I reckon the best thing to do is just enjoy taking pictures with it.
Hope this helps.

Aaldtimer
17-Mar-09, 04:37
No, it is the whole range that matters.I am afraid I get a bit confused with the way digital camera specifications are presented but most give an equivalent to good old 35mm film focal lengths which makes things more understandable, so using that as a guide I suggest 35-105mm.

(For a given magnification factor, focal lengths vary according to the actual physical size of the film or sensor.)

In 35mm film terms, 50mm is what our eyes see which gives a true perspective. Lower focal lengths are wide angle, the lower you go the more the perspective is distorted making the scenery appear smaller and further away (but including more in the picture). Higher numbers are telephoto which distorts the perspective by bringing things closer.
With a 35-105 this perspective distortion is not too bad in my opinion.

When it comes to choosing a camera (like many things) there is not a single easy answer. If there was I guess the choice would be limited to just one or two models only! Whatever you choose, I reckon the best thing to do is just enjoy taking pictures with it.
Hope this helps.

Actually this has nothing to do with the format size of the medium, but everything to to do with optics. Apart from that everything you say makes absolute sense.:)

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
17-Mar-09, 10:03
I have a Canon Power Shot SX100 IS that I use every chance I get,it zooms out to 40X and takes great pics and video,have to learn to use my stick for steady shots,might be worth a look,got if for my birthday last year,have not used any of my other cameras since, http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

shazzap
17-Mar-09, 16:14
Thank you everyone it is all a bit confusing, but i will take onboard all the advice given. I am looking to buy as compact a camera i can that will give me good shots of scenery.