PDA

View Full Version : Baillie Wind Farm public inquiry starts on tuesday

rupert
14-Mar-09, 23:35
Baillie wind farm public local inquiry starts this Tuesday, 17 March in the Royal Hotel, Thurso. Just wondered if anyone is going along and how others feel about this development. I don't think there has been an advert in the paper for it, but I may have missed it.

the second coming
15-Mar-09, 08:32
I'm all for it and the benefits and opportunities it could bring to the area.

Especially as it is not a large utility development.

davie
15-Mar-09, 10:02
Whilst I have no particular stance on wind power I did look at the photo montages for this one out of interest.
The developers seem to have made a great effort to get photographs many miles away from the site, they have conveniently forgotten about the houses and farms on the Skaill road and at Stemster,Westfield.
From both these locations some of the structures will be totally overpowering but I have no doubt the enquiry will already be aware of that.
Perhaps developers do themselves no favours with the style of their presentations -certainly this one is blatantly misleading.

rupert
16-Mar-09, 17:27
I'm all for it and the benefits and opportunities it could bring to the area.

Especially as it is not a large utility development.
Second coming, whilst it may appear to be just a local company, I believe a minority shareholder is Statkraft, a major Norwegian utility company. Things are not always as they appear.

davie
16-Mar-09, 17:36
Certainly the windfarm on the Causwaymire has brought many hundreds if not thousands of jobs to the County and there are obvious benefits and opportunities yet to come. I understand Hugh Simpson of Wick has a fleet of 40 cranes and 200 fitters on permanent standby to replace dodgy parts as and when required.
On the other hand Halkirk Community Council (or similiar) have got a few bob from the deal.

Mr P Cannop
16-Mar-09, 20:48
is there any reports or paperwork for this via email or at the meeting ??

the second coming
17-Mar-09, 14:43
Second coming, whilst it may appear to be just a local company, I believe a minority shareholder is Statkraft, a major Norwegian utility company. Things are not always as they appear.

I wasn't aware of this Rupert, so I stand corrected. I'll need to do a bit more digging.

the second coming
17-Mar-09, 14:44
Certainly the windfarm on the Causwaymire has brought many hundreds if not thousands of jobs to the County and there are obvious benefits and opportunities yet to come. I understand Hugh Simpson of Wick has a fleet of 40 cranes and 200 fitters on permanent standby to replace dodgy parts as and when required.
On the other hand Halkirk Community Council (or similiar) have got a few bob from the deal.

1 job is better than non, 10 better than 1, and so on. Gone are the days job security and nationalised industry. Unless you're a banker I s'pose!.

Strange I never seen all those cranes fixing broken bits, they must be doing it at night eh?

Cinderella's Shoe
20-Mar-09, 23:19
So thats the end of the first week. Interesting from what I read in the papers. Was anyone actually there? If so, was it gripping stuff or like watching paint dry?