PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory

cazmanian_minx
14-Mar-09, 20:57
I keep seeing this report by the North Highlands Initiative referred to in news articles. Anyone know if there's a copy of it online anywhere? My Google-Fu has failed me.

Murdina Bug
14-Mar-09, 23:17
Hi, I think this was undertaken as part of the the Prince's (Charles) Regeneration programme and so you may want to take a look at this site:
http://www.princes-regeneration.org/publications.php The North Highland Initiative publication refers to a study of redundant vernacular buildings - but I can't see the actual list anywhere either! Maybe some of the contacts in that publication could help though. I will keep searching around and see if anything else pops up.

5 mins later! See the last paragraph!
Over 1000 heritage buildings in Caithness are worthy of restoration

4th August 2008
A new report launched by HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay today (Tuesday 5th August 2008) identifies 1350 vernacular buildings in Caithness worthy of restoration.
The ‘Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory’ report published by the North Highlands Initiative follows the launch one year ago of the Prince's North Highland Initiative for the Built Environment and aims to promote the regeneration of traditional buildings across Caithness and Sutherland.

Lord Maclennan of Rogart, Chairman of the North Highland Initiative said: "We have a rich and unique heritage and should act to restore it not only to contribute to the development of the rural economy of the North Highlands but also for future generations to enjoy. This groundbreaking report is the first step towards making this a reality."
The report is principally the work of the architectural historian and consultant Andrew Wright, of Forres, a former President of the Royal Incorporation of Architects of Scotland. He carried out the work in the summer of 2007 and was helped by local farmers and property owners.
The North Highland Initiative for the Built Environment is working in collaboration with The Prince’s Regeneration Trust and The Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment to regenerate the built heritage of Caithness.

Notes to editors

For copies of the Caithness Redundant Buildings Inventory report visit the Contact Us section of the North Highlands Connections website at www.northhighlandconnections.org. (http://www.northhighlandconnections.org/)

Murdina Bug
14-Mar-09, 23:23
Not only that but one William Fernie is on the Board of North Highland Connections! Small world - maybe he can get you a copy of the report!

Bazeye
15-Mar-09, 00:18
1350? Make that 1351. Skins needed gutting last time I was in. Apologies to Mr Cardosi if its been done since last summer.

cazmanian_minx
15-Mar-09, 10:44
Thank you ever so much, Murdina - have sent them an email.

Dog-eared
16-Mar-09, 12:03
This is a very interesting report,all 140 plus pages of it, with lots of good photographs.