PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate

TRUCKER
12-Mar-09, 07:45
What does people think about a gp calling for a tax on chocolate. He says it should be taxed the same as alcohol and cigarettes, it used to be a treat but now says with some people it is a addiction. What is peoples view on this . Me myself i love eating chocolate and wont stop.

brokencross
12-Mar-09, 08:11
Me myself i love eating chocolate and wont stop.

Ditto.............

joxville
12-Mar-09, 09:59
Chocolate is already taxed. It's classed as a 'luxury' item so has VAT included in the price you pay for it.

grumpy1
12-Mar-09, 10:00
omg i think some people have nowt better to do than sit in an office and think...right how can we get more money out of folk now... it seems to me that the government wont be happy till were all parading round like robots saying what we should..eating what they say... this choc tax is right up there with what we should and shouldnt put in vending machines that was a classic one as well (dont know if anyone saw that one)

Mister Squiggle
12-Mar-09, 10:28
This is outrageous! Firstly my enjoyment of a good bottle of red is getting slugged with increased taxes and now chocolate! What is left? :(

I say we riot in the streets, ladies! The streets will be awash with angry pre-menstrual women waving their Flakes and Toblerones defiantly in the air!

The fun-police who suggested this one might have underestimated the deep, abiding and sacred relationship between a woman and her block of Cadbury's. He needs to come around to our place and have a cuppa and chat to my husband to find out what ugly scenes of rage occured last time my secret stash of chocolate was "appropriated" by the OH late one night. ;)

teenybash
12-Mar-09, 12:00
Seems a bit absurd to me as everyone knows it's not what you eat but, how much................maybe the powers that be will bring back rationing to get us all under control...........;)

ShelleyCowie
12-Mar-09, 12:12
:~( Why do they keep doing this! Soon enough alot of people are not going to be able to afford til live!

I dont eat that much chocolate, im more of a crisp person, but i do enjoy a choccy biscuit with ma coffee at night.

Where do they get these ideas though, before we know it we will have to get a license to do stuff, pay extra tax on everything we buy!

And i bet wages are not going up to compensate this tax rise in chocolate! ;)

Penelope Pitstop
12-Mar-09, 13:15
What a right pratt this doctor guy is to have opened his mouth and let his belly rumble with this one...

For a start chocolate doesn't make you fat - the good stuff has over 70% cocoa. It's SUGAR that's the problem.....therefore, not CHOCOLATE that needs the tax but SUGAR !!! What medical school did he go/not go to !!!!![lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Mar-09, 13:24
hiddentaxes.org

rfr10
12-Mar-09, 17:16
I'm sure there are many other foods that are worse for our health that chocolate so why charge tax on chocolate? What about cakes, sugary drinks like lucozade, jelly sweets which are packed with articicial colours, flavourings and preservatives.

We should take responsibility for our own health and not have to pay more for luxuries just because some people can't control their eating habits. Obviously the guy who came up with such a ridiculous idea has something against chocolate. Does he really think that adding a few extra pennies on the cost of chocolate is going to make people eat less of it? Unless of course they plan on adding pounds onto it.

What a stupid idea. There are far more things that are more damaging to our health than chocolate. At least chocolate does have some goodness in it when taken in sensible amounts. Does this mean charging a tax on dark chocolate too which is most likely to be beneficial to our health?

Bazeye
12-Mar-09, 17:21
Health doesnt come into the equation, its about money. End of.

Bad Manners
12-Mar-09, 18:33
I agree that taxing chocolate is a silly idea. however if they want to tax us back to healthy eating then they should tax the companies putting out fat laden ready meals etc and also tax companies how use un nessesery packaging in this way it would help with green issues and help persuade people to eat healthly.

Valerie Campbell
12-Mar-09, 19:53
I would say a tax on chocolate would have about as much affect on me as a rise in alcohol prices. I do neither to excess and love both and no one is going to stop me from these little pleasures in life! Think I'll have to see if I have some chocolate in the cupboard now...

balto
12-Mar-09, 23:53
omg noway stop them now before it goes through parliment...........

butterfly
13-Mar-09, 02:52
The fun-police who suggested this one might have underestimated the deep, abiding and sacred relationship between a woman and her block of Cadbury's. He needs to come around to our place and have a cuppa and chat to my husband to find out what ugly scenes of rage occured last time my secret stash of chocolate was "appropriated" by the OH late one night. ;)

I know just how you feel Mister Squiggle when your choccys go missing...:mad:

Bazeye
13-Mar-09, 10:50
:~( im more of a crisp person ;)

Been standing too near the fire Shelley? :D

dessie
13-Mar-09, 10:54
:RazzOMG..trucker what are we going to do..down from 4 bars a day to 3..lol....1 extra on sundays...

balto
13-Mar-09, 10:56
:RazzOMG..trucker what are we going to do..down from 4 bars a day to 3..lol....1 extra on sundays...
only if your good lol.[lol][lol]

oldmarine
14-Mar-09, 00:26
I have a family of chocoholics. I can do without myself.

Vistravi
14-Mar-09, 00:34
Chocolate? Where?! :lol:

Cinderella's Shoe
14-Mar-09, 20:40
I'm just waiting for the inevitable day when the chocolate police insist on numbers of units on the bars and boxes.......

gleeber
14-Mar-09, 21:47
I heard it on the radio and I imagine the GPs speech was well researched. Chocolates dangerous, especially if your addicted to it. There does seem to be a connection between ill health and chocolate and it can no longer be ignored.
If I was Gordon Brown I would tax it heavily. About 25% would be enough for starters but he could put it up a bit every now and again.
He missed a golden opportunty to make a few bob just before christmas when boxes of Roses was going for 2 for £9. [lol]

joxville
14-Mar-09, 23:40
I heard it on the radio and I imagine the GPs speech was well researched. Chocolates dangerous, especially if your addicted to it. There does seem to be a connection between ill health and chocolate and it can no longer be ignored.
If I was Gordon Brown I would tax it heavily. About 25% would be enough for starters but he could put it up a bit every now and again.
He missed a golden opportunty to make a few bob just before christmas when boxes of Roses was going for 2 for £9. [lol]

There's also a connection between ill health and pizza, fish & chips, McDonalds and Burger King burgers or any number of other foods-maybe they should just put tax on everything then all bases are covered.

oldmarine
15-Mar-09, 02:20

I don't enjoy chocolate and it's probably a good thing from what I read here. I wouldn't care if it was heavily taxed cause it would not cost me anything. I do send my wife roses for our anniversary each year and I might have to do something different if I got hit hard for that item.
:roll:

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 04:57
Why is it that men dont like chocolate as much as woman do? I would be climbing the walls without it!

Fry's Chocolate Cream,Turkish Delight,Walnut Whip,Yummy yummy....Flowers?Stuff them.

riggerboy
15-Mar-09, 08:53
tax is also connected to ill health so should we just get rid of tax mmmmmmm no lets keep it and tax chocolate at say 500% or say a fiver per bar (marathon size bar) and then lets put all sweets up to about £7.50 a quarter, ciggs up to £25 for 10, vodka and beer tax free yip thats about right me thinks

joxville
15-Mar-09, 10:09
Why is it that men dont like chocolate as much as woman do? I would be climbing the walls without it!

Fry's Chocolate Cream,Turkish Delight,Walnut Whip,Yummy yummy....Flowers?Stuff them.
Men do like chocolate as much as women-it's just that we have better self control over our intake and so don't have to ask "Does my bum look big in this". [lol]

Gene Hunt
15-Mar-09, 10:59
And men also realise that if we eat a lot of choclate that we have to go down the gym and actually exercise to rid ourselves of the excess weight.

From what I have seen in my gym women spend a one hour session thus, 10 mins exercise, 10 minutes talking to friends, 10 minutes fiddling with Ipod, 20 minutes adjusting their clothing and 10 minutes badgering the Fitness Instructor as to why they come down the Gym for an hour every day and just arent losing any weight .. :eek:

The guy who came up with the idea did so because of the high calorie content in such a small snack. Obesity is a an issue today and in the large part a self inflicted one. In these situations it is not a "disability" and no matter what Gok Wan says it does not make you "empowered" or "special", it is no different to smoking or drinking in that its bad for you and you know it. I dont think the plan was aimed at people having a choclate as a treat as it wont affect them in the pocket as much as people who seem to think it is a food group.

butterfly
15-Mar-09, 19:17
Men do like chocolate as much as women-it's just that we have better self control over our intake and so don't have to ask "Does my bum look big in this". [lol]

There's nowt wrong with my bum Joxy!What about you men with beer belly's?[lol]

joxville
15-Mar-09, 19:49
There's nowt wrong with my bum Joxy!What about you men with beer belly's?[lol]
I don't have a beer belly so have nothing to worry about.

scorrie
16-Mar-09, 01:13
I'm limited to one bar a month now.

I think I'll cope though:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/202155195axJgLv_fs.jpg

No wisecracks about me finding it in my shower, Please!!

joxville
16-Mar-09, 01:29
Definitely one time when a Twix won't fit. :D

Chillie
16-Mar-09, 02:37
How about a Chillie Choc Ice Cream Cheesecake :lol:???? I am sure your man with the No Show Mobile Chip Van could acommidate.

butterfly
16-Mar-09, 03:12
Thats a good one Scorrie!Can i have 6 please.....:lol: