PDA

View Full Version : Do you check before you renew?

Thumper
07-Mar-09, 14:27
Ok so a few weeks ago my boyfriend got his car insurance in and was going to just go ahead with the renewal until i told him to try a few others online and when he did he found he could get it a lot cheaper elsewhere so told his current insurer who immediately matched the price :roll: Today iIgot my renewal in for buildings and contents and it had jumped up by over £120 a year so I called them to cancel the policy and when I did the immediatley gave me a 40% discount taking it back down to almost the same price as last year,why they couldnt do that in the first place is beyond me!Anyway I was just wondering how many people just go ahead and renew their insurance without checking to see if they can get a better deal either elsewhere or with the same company if they call up and say its too much?Theres a lot to be saved by checking before renewing x

richman
07-Mar-09, 14:43
i go here http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/home.html

Thumper
07-Mar-09, 14:45
LOL I wondered how long it would take for that one to appear! x

richman
07-Mar-09, 14:52
sorry to be so preditcable , i get mine from the tripple a.

bobbyjoeufb
07-Mar-09, 15:35
I always check with other insurance companys and never accept the renewal notice as its always over the top.

This year I took out my insurance after finding the best deal on Compare the market and confused.com, as an added benefit I found the insurer on quidco.com so more money back.

So I got the cheapest car insurace quote, and have send off to claim back £40 an offer that the insurance company was running at the time and also should get £55 back through quidco in few months time.

So I should get £95 back which is just about 50% of my premium!

Kodiak
07-Mar-09, 15:35
All I can say is that if you are over 55 years in age then get a quote form RIAS as they are the cheapest for insurance. (Retirement Insurance Advisory Service)

My new for old policy for £70,000.00 contents insurance is only £49.50 a year.

I keep getting letters from other insurance companies who claim they will save me over £100.00 on contents insurance if I take out a policy with them.

Interesting that for if they did they would have to pay me over £50.00 for taking out their insurance and I cant see them doing that LOL :D

bish667
07-Mar-09, 15:37
I once had a renewal quote from a certain company, went online and got a quote from the same company at over £200 less.
Phoned them up and said i got a quote for the online price but they said there was nothing they could do to bring my renewal price down to the price i got with them online :confused
So i said i'd just cancel the policy and take out new insurance with them and they agreed thats what i'd have to do :confused

Bad Manners
07-Mar-09, 17:27
I never accept any renewals without first checking out the others and then haggling the price down. So many people just accept what they are given as they cant spare the time to look around. I have always done this but in these everchanging times it is nessesery more than ever.

poppett
07-Mar-09, 19:44
This year I had a flyer in the door with ten freefone numbers for car insurance companies. You get three quotes and return the form to the subscribers who send out a £10 M&S voucher just for getting the quotes. It passed an afternoon, then I phoned my existing company with the results and got a further 15% off the premium and 5% for paying it in one instalment on my credit card, which in turn gives me cash back on all my spending for the year in January. Last year`s cashback paid half the insurance, so I am quids in.

Tighsonas4
07-Mar-09, 20:02
its like a lot more things. have been on the insurance in my time
some will give you a tremendus quote and alls well until you have a claim
the results can be [was going to write a big word but canna spell it ]
but mean the responses to claims can VARY [lol] tony

TRUCKER
07-Mar-09, 20:37
I always find it best to shop around, its a buyers market.

hotrod4
07-Mar-09, 20:45
I get my car insurance from Quinn and have found them to be the cheapest,they also give you free breakdown recovery which you can use 6 times a year.Excellent price and great service.