PDA

View Full Version : What is it called?? Help from mums and dads!!

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 14:02
Well its teething time for my son.....:( oh jeepers the screams. But anyways....i am wondering what that powder is called that can be put on their gums to help ease the pain of teething. Im not keen to use bonjela or anything right now, have just been putting a wee bit of paracetomol suspension on his dummy which only helps him for a little while.

Does anyone know the powder and where can i get it???

Thanks in advance!!! :Razz

unicorn
06-Mar-09, 14:06
I always used a bit of anbesol on them. It has very good numbing qualities. the teething powders I have found quite mesy and ineffective.

MasterSplinter
06-Mar-09, 14:08
frozen carrots and a bit of teething gel. cant beat it

ITSONLYME
06-Mar-09, 14:10
astons and parsons teething powders from co-op chemist shelly they worked wonders

cmp
06-Mar-09, 14:11
Hi there

i think its Ashtons Powder, and you can purchase from the Big Chemist in Thurso, Sutherlands.

I used this on my kids it helped with their teeth and also unselttled stomachs.

hope this helps.

Julia
06-Mar-09, 14:12
I think what you are looking for is Nelson's Teething Granules, not sure where you would get them in Thurso though, that chemist beside the central is bound to stock it as it has a large baby section.

You can also get water filled teething rings that once chilled are great for teething pain.

Calpol also do a teething gel. Bonjela also do a gel especially for babies.

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 14:54
ahh so many things to choose from!! :lol:

He has 2 teeth coming through at the same time. His 2 bottom front teeth. Poor lad...one is surely bad enough eh!

carasmam
06-Mar-09, 16:09
Ashton and Parsons really helped my lassie when teething, we call it baby cocaine :D She eventually learned to stick her tongue out and I just tipped the packet on. Even now if she is a bit windy I'll give her a sachet and it settles her tummy.

ett23
06-Mar-09, 16:43
I also used ashton and parsons powders and found they didn't help at all with my first one so i never bothered by the time my second baby came along. We always used bonjela or calgel but basically nothing worked - and it took nearly a year for my girls to get any teeth at all! So there was a lot of screaming for that first year or so!!! :(

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 16:53
I also used ashton and parsons powders and found they didn't help at all with my first one so i never bothered by the time my second baby came along. We always used bonjela or calgel but basically nothing worked - and it took nearly a year for my girls to get any teeth at all! So there was a lot of screaming for that first year or so!!! :(

A year...oh gosh! This last 5 days he has been constantly gurny and screaming for hours. It really is not like him. Usually he never cries at all. And he loves going to bed. But not now...just took me another hour to get him to sleep. My poor boy! :~(

Kathy@watten
06-Mar-09, 16:55
A frozen waffle was the teething relief of choice in our house! Also used calgel just so we thought we were doing something, when the toothy pegs actually come through we found the pain seemed to go but kids still ask for frozen potatoe stuff.....good luck! ( you could also take a few paracetamol and a good glass of wine..while rocking and dealing with the screams, I can highly recomend this course of action...saw me through a few dark nights!)

ett23
06-Mar-09, 17:00
A year...oh gosh! This last 5 days he has been constantly gurny and screaming for hours. It really is not like him. Usually he never cries at all. And he loves going to bed. But not now...just took me another hour to get him to sleep. My poor boy! :~(

Ah well if he's normally quite content it'll probably just be a phase he goes through but mine were generally girny all the time so I was quite used to the screaming before the teething started!! :lol:

toodiemac
06-Mar-09, 17:17
Teetha granules are brilliant, and very popular I believe.

They have them in Sutherland's chemist and in the beauty box place at the corner opposite the Post Office. Word of warning though, they are about £4 in the chemist and around £7 in the beauty place - exactly same stuff. Little sachets which you empty into the mouth.

I always found they were great at helping my little ones to get a good nights sleep when teething.

mums angels
06-Mar-09, 17:19
I used Dentinox teething gel for my wee one, she got her first two teeth at 4 months and had 8 teeth by 7 months so can swear by the stuff. She only ever had real bother with one that the gel never seemed to work on, i don't expect to see any more teeth now for a few months but i notice that you can also now get dentinox teething toothpaste in the sutherlands chemist , will try that next time a tooth comes through

I tried the powders with my first 2 kids and didnt find they helped one bit.

catnip
06-Mar-09, 17:23
I used Ashton and Parsons and Teetha which seemed to put him to sleep, the best wonder for teething for me was mini milk lollies they really soothed him. I dont know what was worse the screaming or the awful napies that go along with teething

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 19:03
ok so there is still alot to choose from lol.

Im stil not sure if its teething that is disrupting him though. He has been teething for about a month, but lately we are trying to change his routine (the OH's decision not mine) to get him to bed earlier, but he seems to be grumpy all the time now.

Eek why cant he talk!! [lol]

grumpy1
06-Mar-09, 19:04
Anbesol worked a charm on all my three... its really quick and a little goes a long way...

unicorn
06-Mar-09, 19:35
it was the little bottle I always bought, I have recently bought the gel and found it not so good. A tiny drop on your finger rubbed on the gums.

ShelleyCowie
06-Mar-09, 20:57
it was the little bottle I always bought, I have recently bought the gel and found it not so good. A tiny drop on your finger rubbed on the gums.

If i put my finger in his mouth i will never see it again! Its deadly!! [lol]

Said to the OH eday when i was checkin his gums i am slightly greatful am no breastfeedin anymore!! Would be awful :lol: