PDA

View Full Version : For the Men .. Are you a Retrosexual ??

Gene Hunt
05-Mar-09, 19:45
Heard this term today for the first time and have come to the conclusion that I am one, in spirit anyway as I am married with three kids.

Lately the subject of masculinity has been thrown at me as I have had one of the twins removed due to illness. Others have questioned me about it but I am not fussed, its a non issue to me and I have been quite confused at the reaction of some men to me now, they all seem a bit drippy and emotional and I have found it quite off putting. I was speaking to my best friend today and he said it was because I was a Retrosexual. What followed was one of the funniest conversations (and subsequent e-mails) I have ever had, please allow me to share the ramblings, I figured a first thread should be at least be amusing.

Apparently Men were once rough and ready but our affinity for the attractively designed female of the species and their constant need to re-design us led to the "New Man", he talks about his feelings, is happy to do housework etc etc. What then followed was the Meterosexual, a straight man who embraces gay culture and who can cleanse tone and moisturise .. eh ?? We have now apparently come full circle as Retrosexual man is taking "manliness" back.

Here is the definition of a Reterosexual as given to me today.

Dress and Appearance .. Retrosexual man is scared of hair gel. He has seen "There is Something about Mary" and is suspicious about the ingredients. He can shave with a razor that has *gasp* just one blade and cares not that his neck is covered in red blotches. He knows the dash of aftershave and manly pain that ensues will cure that, he does not moisturise or tone. The only moisture applied to his face is when he is in the shower or when it rains, the only "Tone" he knows is a dodgy looking bloke with no teeth. Retrosexual man dresses plainly, nothing in pastel colours as Retrosexual man thinks the only word that should go with pastels is Rowntree. Reterosexual man is convinced that Armani was a Roman Ceasar and has a phone that is just a phone, it does NOT have an MP3 or camera on it. Mainly because he doesnt know what an MP3 is and cant use a camera.

Emotions .. Crying is reserved ONLY for when you are kicked in the testicles and you will apologise for your tears as soon as you have recovered. Crying is not to be performed over a woman in any way shape or form .. EVER. Retrosexual man winces at so called men crying on X factor when told they are rubbish. Bunch of girls. Defeat of a Football or Rugby team is to be taken stoically and without drama. Victory is to be taken the same way, a team mate scoring a goal or try is not an excuse to hug and kiss him, throw him on the ground and straddle him like a lover. Its a goal or a try, not the discovery of the meaning of life. Be a man.

Women .. Retrosexual man pays for everything on a date, he also opens the door for the woman. Not because he is a chauvinist but because he is a gentleman. However he does not get "deep" or "emotional" when with a woman, women have female friends to discuss that guff with. Women are to be respected and are NEVER allowed to do any DIY, that's mans work. This includes changing lightbulbs. Retrosexual man likes women who are strong confident and funny, if a woman isnt that way inclined then try the Metrosexuals for some emotional neediness.

His Car .. Usually a sporty model of car or a motorbike, it is clean but not immaculate. It is always right on the verge of running out of fuel and does not have a hands free kit. When he is driving he is driving, and that is something to be enjoyed. Retrosexual man demands that you will wait until he has stopped driving to speak to him. And no woman ever drives his car. Ever. There are also better than average odds that the CD in the player is a Top Gear compilation.

His Flat or House .. Decorated like a scene from Life on Mars. The sofa will be barely younger than the universe and there will be no scatter cushions or candles in sight, Satan is more welcome in the flat than them. The important things in the flat will be top spec and that means a TV, DVD, Blu Ray and Playstation are all in evidence. The kitchen is an afterthought and is stocked with tins of Spag Bol, Ravioli, and Macaroni Cheese. Retrosexual man thinks that if it cant be made in one pan it is of no use. The bedroom has a large comfy bed and nothing matches bedding wise. The flat is nearly always untidy as Retrosexual man lives in hope that the lady will tidy up before she leaves. She never does. Shocker.

In the Pub .. Retrosexual man stands at the bar. Sitting is lazy and is the first step to getting dragged in to a conversation with the women crowding the outer reaches of the bar. This to be avoided, Pub time is Man time, at least initially. He drinks Pints and or Shorts. Wine is not allowed, it is for drinking with food. Anyone ordering a drink and using the words "fruit beer" will be shunned, they should consider themselves lucky Retrosexual man has not killed them for blasphemy. Bar talk will only turn to current events and or sport when the physical attributes of every woman in the bar have been discussed and analysed. The top three women are then approached, starting with number 1. Retrosexual man aims high.

So Men .. Is this you ??

Kodiak
05-Mar-09, 19:49
I have no Idea if I am or not as this post was just too long to read, I must just be lazy.

shazzy
05-Mar-09, 20:06
u forgot the 'pot noodle' in the kitchen (or empty by the bath!)

Tugmistress
05-Mar-09, 20:15
I could do with finding one ;) :Razz

golach
05-Mar-09, 20:16
Sorry I dont understand the question :roll:

joxville
05-Mar-09, 22:38
Lately the subject of masculinity has been thrown at me as I have had one of the twins removed due to illness. Others have questioned me about it but I am not fussed, its a non issue to me and I have been quite confused at the reaction of some men to me now,

Did you have to buy new clothes since you were a stone lighter? [lol]

gleeber
05-Mar-09, 22:41
There's no doubt I have the potential to be a retro but I had it knocked out of me before I was old enough to understand what had happened. :confused
I think men have got a bit lost over the past couple of decades. It's taken a while for them to adapt to the liberated women. Maybe your right and a return to the kitchen for women could be the future. :D

Whitewater
05-Mar-09, 22:55
I think men have got a bit lost over the past couple of decades. It's taken a while for them to adapt to the liberated women. Maybe your right and a return to the kitchen for women could be the future. :D

I've always been lost, I think the persuit of women does that to you. Trouble with us men is that we never realise when we are being taken for a ride, we are quite happy to go along with it as long as our manly needs are being taken care of.

Venture
05-Mar-09, 23:27

Totally brilliant Jox.[lol]

Gene Hunt
06-Mar-09, 11:44

Not really mate.

However I just cant bring myself to play the Swingball in the garden anymore .. ;)

George Brims
06-Mar-09, 22:01
Lately the subject of masculinity has been thrown at me as I have had one of the twins removed due to illness.
A question from a comedy about wrestlers a few years ago: If you only have one nut, is it still your left nut?

TBH
06-Mar-09, 22:29
So, Gene Hunt, are you a retrosexual, homosexual, Bi-sexual, metrosexual or trysexual or something different?

Gene Hunt
06-Mar-09, 22:36
A question from a comedy about wrestlers a few years ago: If you only have one nut, is it still your left nut?

It has to be !! .. Its the only one I have left.

The bright side was pointed out to me by my local barman .. "Look at it this way, a kick in privates will only hurt half as much now"

Serious point though .. I did not take heed when I noticed something was wrong and by the time I was diagnosed with testicular cancer it was too late for one of the boys. The younger you are the higher the risk generally. If you are a bloke then check yourself regularly, if you notice something is wrong .. GO AND SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. I did not and caused my family a load of unnecessary grief and worry because of male pride. The fact I am now known as "Swingball" in my local pub will be a lasting testament to my stupidity.

Everyman are a male cancer charity, they have a very informative website, take a look. They also have a educational video starring none other than the gorgeous Rachel Stevens.

Its on Youtube under "Everyman - Rachel Stevens" if you are curious.

joxville
06-Mar-09, 22:39
It has to be !! .. Its the only one I have left.

The bright side was pointed out to me by my local barman .. "Look at it this way, a kick in privates will only hurt half as much now"

Serious point though .. I did not take heed when I noticed something was wrong and by the time I was diagnosed with testicular cancer it was too late for one of the boys. The younger you are the higher the risk generally. If you are a bloke then check yourself regularly, if you notice something is wrong .. GO AND SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. I did not and caused my family a load of unnecessary grief and worry because of male pride. The fact I am now known as "Swingball" in my local pub will be a lasting testament to my stupidity.

Everyman are a male cancer charity, they have a very informative website, take a look. They also have a educational video starring none other than the gorgeous Rachel Stevens.

Its on Youtube under "Everyman - Rachel Stevens" if you are curious.

Well said Gene. I know two men that had both testicles removed and ever since have regularly checked myself. I'd prefer Rachel Stevens to do it though-or Katie Melua. :D

TBH
06-Mar-09, 22:48
Well said Gene. I know two men that had both testicles removed and ever since have regularly checked myself. I'd prefer Rachel Stevens to do it though-or Katie Melua. :DWouldn't Verne Troyer be more appropriate?[lol]

Gene Hunt
06-Mar-09, 22:49
So, Gene Hunt, are you a retrosexual, homosexual, Bi-sexual, metrosexual or trysexual or something different?

Retrosexual for me.

Its about time us men took our manliness back. All this "New Man" rubbish foisted on us by women .. bah. I cringe whenever I see fellow men being dragged round shops by their women with that bored look on their face, or whenever I see a man cry because he has got booted off some reality TV show or been told that he isn't a very good singer by Simon Cowell.

Surely other blokes have noticed there seems to be no word for us being positive about our masculinity ??, I am pretty sure that women don't want someone who cries more than them. Or spends more time getting ready then they do for a night out. Any man who knows what "exfoilate" means let alone does it needs to have a solid word with himself.

And then get down the pub.

JimH
06-Mar-09, 22:52
Is it catching? Whatever it is!

Gene Hunt
06-Mar-09, 22:52
Well said Gene. I know two men that had both testicles removed and ever since have regularly checked myself. I'd prefer Rachel Stevens to do it though-or Katie Melua. :D

Why not both of them ??

Its important to be thorough .. ;)

TBH
06-Mar-09, 22:53
Retrosexual for me.

Its about time us men took our manliness back. All this "New Man" rubbish foisted on us by women .. bah. I cringe whenever I see fellow men being dragged round shops by their women with that bored look on their face, or whenever I see a man cry because he has got booted off some reality TV show or been told that he isn't a very good singer by Simon Cowell.

Surely other blokes have noticed there seems to be no word for us being positive about our masculinity ??, I am pretty sure that women don't want someone who cries more than them. Or spends more time getting ready then they do for a night out. Any man who knows what "exfoilate" means let alone does it needs to have a solid word with himself.

And then get down the pub.The metrosexuals are the ones to blame not the women. In my opinion they are the ones that have blurred the boundaries between malculinity and femininity.

George Brims
06-Mar-09, 22:56
Or spends more time getting ready then they do for a night out.
I don't spend more time than hersel' but I am sometimes last to be ready. This is because the game I watch while she is getting ready has gone to extra time.

Any man who knows what "exfoilate" means let alone does it needs to have a solid word with himself.
Well I know what it means. It's what trees do in the autumn, right?

TBH
06-Mar-09, 22:59
I don't spend more time than hersel' but I am sometimes last to be ready. This is because the game I watch while she is getting ready has gone to extra time.Come on now George, it takes men nearly as long to have a crap as it takes women to get ready to go out so that about evens it out.

Gene Hunt
06-Mar-09, 23:08
Quite right TBH, never understood all that mucking about. Shave with a razor and brush. Jeans are blue or maybe black. All shoes and boots should have laces. T-shirts should always have sleeves and only come in red, blue, black or white and they dont need to say something like "Hawaii Beach Club" on them. Tanktops went out with the Hovis era, only women should ever "accessorise" and the only time you EVER wear a scarf is at a football match.

George is there already, well played Sir.

weeboyagee
07-Mar-09, 14:15
Car - see attached - is sporty, not immaculate and has a Top-Gear compilation in it!!!!!!

As for the rest of the Retro-sexual man - not a bit - women have battered it out of us since the days we stopped courting them by dragging them around by the hair after hitting them over the head with a club :D

WBG :cool:

richman
07-Mar-09, 15:07
which of these are ye 's all then ???

12. retrosexual
One who has reached an age where all sexual desire is reduced to memories.
Thinking of the girls he had known when young, the old man could still get momentarily horny. But he never had such feelings about women he didn't know and lust after in the past, and had no desire to reconnect with those he did, except in his memories of them; in the bloom of their youth.

He was a true retrosexual.

13. Retrosexual
A person who doesn't dress,talk or act gay (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay), but has gay, retro 50's qualities.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retrosexual&page=2

i think yer number 12 cos all ye do is talk about it, :lol:

Gene Hunt
07-Mar-09, 18:41
which of these are ye 's all then ???

12. retrosexual
One who has reached an age where all sexual desire is reduced to memories.
Thinking of the girls he had known when young, the old man could still get momentarily horny. But he never had such feelings about women he didn't know and lust after in the past, and had no desire to reconnect with those he did, except in his memories of them; in the bloom of their youth.

He was a true retrosexual.

13. Retrosexual
A person who doesn't dress,talk or act gay (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay), but has gay, retro 50's qualities.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retrosexual&page=2

i think yer number 12 cos all ye do is talk about it, :lol:

Hmmm .. none. You had to look up the word Retrosexual on Urban Dictionary, bad show. You are a scarf wearing Metrosexual and I claim my £5 .. ;)

Number 12 looks like it was typed by the guy who put it on Urban Dictionary when he had boxing gloves on, it makes no sense. Number 13 seems to say that if you don't act, dress or talk gay then that means that you have .. erm .. gay qualities ??, that makes no sense either. There's a pattern forming there I think.

As for relations with the fairer sex. If a woman asked a Reterosexual where the G-spot is she would get a knowing wink, a whispered (and accurate) description and his phone number. A woman asking a Metrosexual the same thing gets asked "Is it a nightclub ??"

I dont have too many memories of past girlfriends, I dont pine after those I do remember. Because I married the best looking girl I ever met and have never regretted it for a single second .. :cool:

richman
07-Mar-09, 18:45
i looked it up because i thought you needed it . seem 's i was right . :lol:

oldmarine
08-Mar-09, 04:31
I guess I'm too old to understand the question.

MasterSplinter
08-Mar-09, 12:38
Im as manly as men should be, gruff, rough and takes no crap.unless its the oh of course:lol: although the feminie side does emerge.