PDA

View Full Version : trying to get rid of prunnet.exe

davem
04-Mar-09, 11:09
Aaagh got a virus, dell dimension 5150 running xp home ed. PC initially f roze with hundreds of pop ups. Spybot wouldn't run. Downloaded and ran malawarebytes full scan ditched 76 infections. Initially start got a bluescreen and had to force reboot. Now on log on to windows myweb message and dsca message come up as not initiallising. Click OK to carry on.
On getting windows up and running. Task mgr has bh37.tmp and another temp file showing if I shut them and 2/3 other .exe files I don't recognise it doesn't crash. owever no links/icons work if you try to set off mozilla say or anything it says operation can't be completed as the windows station is shutting down. Its obviously still sick _ help!

DeHaviLand
04-Mar-09, 23:00
lots of good info here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=318134&messageID=2916950

davem
05-Mar-09, 00:12
Thanks have been running scans and recovering from crashes forever.
Off to cnet when I get home.

blueivy
05-Mar-09, 18:40
Thanks have been running scans and recovering from crashes forever.
Off to cnet when I get home.

Best way to do this is go into Safe Mode, kill the processes that you know are spyware and then delete the files.

The problem with that is that a lot of spyware tries to LOOK like it's normal processes (sometimes having only a different name by one letter). That just comes down to experience.

Of course to stop it you need GOOD antivirus and antispyware software with active protection, regular scans and not running as Administrator (which will stop most malware in it's tracks).