PDA

View Full Version : Wick north/hillhead schools

Mazda
02-Mar-09, 17:35
Heard from a teacher in the North School that The Hillhead and the North may be merged into one school as the North has plenty spare room.
This will save the council money in the long run.
The Zones for the schools are being looked at also.
Seems the council wish to have large schools on one site they are looking at this in other areas of the Highlands also

Blondie
02-Mar-09, 17:57
Yeah right :roll:

minnie
02-Mar-09, 17:58
I hope that aint true.

Blondie
02-Mar-09, 18:08
Nonsense :roll:

Venture
02-Mar-09, 19:54
I have to admit that I have heard this too. School rolls are falling and projected numbers for future intakes at the schools are not as high as in the past. The council are looking to cut costs anywhere. Education funding is one of the biggest outlays for the council and the one most likely to be cut.

The funding formula to schools depends on the number of pupils. Take Wick High for instance the school roll is forecast to fall to 785. This means that the school is 6.75 teaching staff over the number indicated by the formula. At the moment the school is fully staffed and includes 10 probationer teachers. Not all of them can be retained and some members of staff are due for early retirement. Wick High have negotiated to keep 2.5 teachers over the number indicated by the formula, by using the cover budget. This is the money that is used to buy in teachers to cover staff absences. This now means that next year WHS will have 4 fewer members of staff and the council will have 4 fewer salaries to pay out.

wickscorrie
02-Mar-09, 20:20
have also in the past heard this mentioned by one of the local councillors, with the view that the north has the room to accomodate the number of pupils.

newmonic
02-Mar-09, 21:11
I heard last year that it was the south school that was going in with the north, because south school needed lots of repairs done to it but we all know what this town is like for rumours.

hotrod4
02-Mar-09, 21:39
I'll believe it when I see it!!!!:eek:
More rumours,no note from school then i dont believe it till its in Black and white.

SNOWDOG
02-Mar-09, 22:34
Cant see it to be honest, Hillhead classes are to the hilt, even the primary 1 has too many! The North school would need to be half empty to accomodate them. Mind you, its hair-brained schemes like this that the beancounters are keen on! :roll:

Julia
02-Mar-09, 23:30
As far as I know there are approx 180 pupils at the North School, I don't think the Hillhead will have as many pupils but I could be wrong, that would mean practically doubling the numbers, can't really see it. One thing for sure is the North School will still be standing long after the Hillhead and South have fallen down.

celtic lass
02-Mar-09, 23:32
i heard it was north and south to merge as south only has 80 pupils and ppp to take over south school building that would make sense as whatever ppp wants they get

butterfly
02-Mar-09, 23:52
dont believe it ,just another "heard" rumour.:roll:

purplelady
03-Mar-09, 00:11
I heard last year that it was the south school that was going in with the north, because south school needed lots of repairs done to it but we all know what this town is like for rumours.as far as I know my son left there last year south school is in good repair always looked and how can they expect to go all the way to the north school from this side of town x

Amy-Winehouse
03-Mar-09, 02:27
Heard from a teacher in the North School that The Hillhead and the North may be merged into one school as the North has plenty spare room.
This will save the council money in the long run.
The Zones for the schools are being looked at also.
Seems the council wish to have large schools on one site they are looking at this in other areas of the Highlands also

Total fabrication, is your friend called Pinnocio by any chance?

parkie
03-Mar-09, 18:16
mazda any more news about wick high;)

dirdyweeker
03-Mar-09, 19:49
mazda any more news about wick high;)

Heard it was closing too......doubling up with Gordonstoun;)

butterfly
03-Mar-09, 21:26
oops..looks like the majority of people wont believe it until they see it in black n white[lol]

cuddlepop
03-Mar-09, 21:55
I know with the education budget stretched to near bursting point HC are looking at ways of cutting costs and one schools revenu budget is cheaper than two's.

I'd keep my eye on this one.:eek:

Mazda
04-Mar-09, 11:05
Something is going to happen over the Numbers of Schools in Wick and the Zoneing of pupils there was a Meeting last week about this with Head Teachers and members of HRC.
I know one of the School Staff at the meeting

cuddlepop
04-Mar-09, 13:59
Something is going to happen over the Numbers of Schools in Wick and the Zoneing of pupils there was a Meeting last week about this with Head Teachers and members of HRC.
I know one of the School Staff at the meeting

We have a few rural schools over here on Skye too Mazda that they have been eyeing up .

Afterall how else are they going to pay for two new Gaelic primary schools in Highland:confused:( remember Ms Hyslop said HC had to find the money from the excisting budget.

lelebo
04-Mar-09, 17:14
The Hillhead School actually has the biggest number of pupils in the town - I was really surprised by this as my wee girl goes and I always think of it as a 'little' school. I went to the North when I was wee. Was told by someone who works there that it actually has the biggest roll so can't see them all fitting in the north school....!

Alice in Blunderland
04-Mar-09, 21:54
The grapevine is not always the most reliable source of information. ;)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Education/Schools/Buildings/schoolclosures

Information on the hows whats and whys of decisions on why an authority can look at school closures can be found on this site. As you can see its not a lightly taken or easy process and consultation would have to be entered into before and if any decisions would be taken.

Current population decline will mean fewer children attending the schools.

Beware next time you complain about how they waste your council tax money as this statement could come back to haunt you when faced with half empty classes and money being spent on them. :(

LMS
04-Mar-09, 22:51
The Hillhead School actually has the biggest number of pupils in the town - I was really surprised by this as my wee girl goes and I always think of it as a 'little' school. I went to the North when I was wee. Was told by someone who works there that it actually has the biggest roll so can't see them all fitting in the north school....!

I've just checked out Highland Council's website and school rolls are as follows:

Hillhead 174
North 154
Pultneytown Academy 197
South 102

This was for school year 2008-09.

hotrod4
05-Mar-09, 06:49
What I think is most disturbing about this is the fact that this is on the org but parents etc havent been informed, even if it is only talks.How come someone can have the info yet parents havent even been consulted?
Even if it never happens surely parents should have a view without reading about "meetings" happening on a public forum?
Whats next publishing the minutes of a freemasons meeting?[lol]

Venture
05-Mar-09, 08:58
What I think is most disturbing about this is the fact that this is on the org but parents etc havent been informed, even if it is only talks.How come someone can have the info yet parents havent even been consulted?
Even if it never happens surely parents should have a view without reading about "meetings" happening on a public forum?

Of course parents have a view in anything concerning their children's education. Maybe more of them should start attending Parent Council meetings. I have always found them to be very informative.;)

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-09, 09:25
Of course parents have a view in anything concerning their children's education. Maybe more of them should start attending Parent Council meetings. I have always found them to be very informative.;)

This is true Venture and a point to note :

Should / if a school ever did come under threat this is where most parents should sign up as this is when a parent council will be at its most powerful. Parent councils are the voice of paents not only for fundraising and nicethings for the kids but also for much more serious matters including threats to your childs school and also if any closure/merger should be on the cards parent councils are consulted through the proper channels and not through the grapevine. :)

Alice in Blunderland
05-Mar-09, 09:31

You're as likely to see that as viewing an induction into the freemasons on youtube.......
:lol: :eek: