PDA

View Full Version : Party suggestions

porshiepoo
01-Mar-09, 16:11
My kids are turning 18 next this month and are thinking of having a party here :eek:.
What the heck do 18 year olds do at parties??????
I'm guessing pin the tail on the donkey isn't going to be the game of the night. Nor pass the parcel.

Seriously anyone know of any decent party games for kids this age???? Preferably ones that do not involve the removal of any clothing. lol.

Gone are the days when we can take them and their friends to Jungle Gyms. :(

changilass
01-Mar-09, 16:18
At that age you are prob best to ask them, then you can come to a compromise that suits you all, but they feel as if they have made some of the decisions.

Blondie
01-Mar-09, 16:19
I'd say you are going to have a struggle with this. Then again I dont know your girls.

What about Playstation Singstar?

Ricco
01-Mar-09, 16:20
Porshie - think back... what did you do at 18? They will be OK. Tell yer boys to respect and the girls to be careful. There will be lots of kissing and cuddling, but provide some nice nosh and lowish alcohol - punch, sangria, that sort of thing. Ask them to leave the place as you would want to find it when you get home.... and go out for the evening. Tell 'em you'll be back about (hmmm...) 1.00am and you expect to get to bed. Oh, and a bit of respect for the neighbours. ;)

Blondie
01-Mar-09, 16:25
There is no way I'd be leaving 18 year old kids on their own in my home :roll:

Believe me, these things can so quickly get out of hand :confused

I'd advise against that Porshiepoo.

Ricco
01-Mar-09, 16:29
We were having parties at 16/17. Always left the house looking like they had never taken place. Mind you, we had a couple of older brothers who would act as doormen for free drinks.

Loafer
01-Mar-09, 19:02
When you say "here"....do you mean at home??? If so, say NO WAY!!! Hire a small clubroom or pub or something like that. Even one youngster spewing...........

The Loafer

EDDIE
01-Mar-09, 19:06
My kids are turning 18 next this month and are thinking of having a party here :eek:.
What the heck do 18 year olds do at parties??????
I'm guessing pin the tail on the donkey isn't going to be the game of the night. Nor pass the parcel.

Seriously anyone know of any decent party games for kids this age???? Preferably ones that do not involve the removal of any clothing. lol.

Gone are the days when we can take them and their friends to Jungle Gyms. :(

I would imagine at 18 that would mean they want loads of booze food and loud music and there parents volunteering to stay they night somewere else.

kitty kat
02-Mar-09, 13:17
:lol:omg.... no... no way..... never.... in that order start off a few close friends at home cake kisses then say good night and hire a hall someway 18 year olds will not learn for a few years mum needs her bed at some point. and as it was point out at least one will over do it and not nice on your carpet. if you can over see a hall party or get a possible older relative to over see a hall party kids get space and parents get to wake up in there home the same way they left it. with only there own hungover kids[lol]

BRIE
02-Mar-09, 17:15
hire the limo for them for a couple of hours, couple bottles of bubbly in the back & a meal somewhere nice when they get back.

Oddquine
03-Mar-09, 02:12
If they are anything like my grandson when he had his 18th last year, a hall, a loud disco, as many mates as can be packed in, food in abundance, drink in moderation.......... and byob.

And because he got that...he put up with his parents, wee sister and granny attending!

T'was a good night!

butterfly
03-Mar-09, 03:39
let them have their party but have all the family there too like uncles and aunts etc,more adults the better cause when the stroke o midnight comes the kids will make off to some night club and the adults and yourselves can clean up the mess![lol]with a drink of course.....

Angela
03-Mar-09, 10:27
Different things seem to work for different folks.

My son's 18th was held at a hall where us oldies were welcome to drop in for a while at least, but my younger daughter choose to have a 'dinner' at home with her pals, after which they set off clubbing.

My ex & his wife had their son's 18th in their house last year. I thought they were mad I must say, but it worked. They stayed away with friends while the birthday boy's much older and very big and strong brother (my son), and a mate of similar age and size, were doormen. Jolly partygoers without invites or who were already the worse for wear just got the old heave ho and never made it over the threshold. :lol: If the party's at home I'd suggest that you go out, but leave someone a wee bit older than your girls in charge.

Why not ask your daughters what they have in mind, Porshie, and then have a think about it. Remember that at 18 they will be technically adults and may not be happy with too many restrictions being imposed, but it would be a shame if the occasion was remembered mainly for your house being trashed by partygoers forgetting they're in someone's home :(

The other consideration is transport for everyone of course.

Whatever you all decide on, I hope they will have a wonderful time.:D

golach
03-Mar-09, 10:52
My 18 year old G'daughter held a Cocktail Party, with just her female pals, it was held at one of her pals houses, it had the bigest living room, the Bar Staff, were her father and the owner of the house, the girls were all in their best finery Cocktail dresses were order of the day, then they went clubbing.

Tthe bar staff, ended up slightly worse for wear, as they drank the cocktail mixtures that the girls did not like, waste no want not. [lol]

squidge
03-Mar-09, 11:55
What about an american style "prom" Decorate a hall, somebooze a buffet and corsages and beaus

porshiepoo
03-Mar-09, 12:01
Good grief I didn't realise just how many different ideas there would be. lol

The problem with them clubbing is that most of their friends haven't quite hit 18 yet, so that's a no no.

Neither of them are real drinkers so that's not a worry, they both hate that loss of control feeling and don't like making prats of themselves or being sick. Yay!
They're both very responsible and although they're up for a good time they would be respectful and would expect others to respect the house.
Both of them would also have no problems with us being there.

I guess we'll have to sit them down and find out exactly what it is they're gonna want. The main problem being that they will both want extremely different things so it'll be hard to keep them both happy. Even harder beacause they share friends so it's not like they could both do separate things.

Thanks for the replies though, it's given me some ideas to throw at them. Have to say that I'm hoping and praying that they say they'd rather just go out for a quiet meal ;)
It won't involve any other family members though as we don't have any family here, they're all down south. :(

Blondie
03-Mar-09, 12:02
Have pm'd you.