PDA

View Full Version : Popular phrases and exprssions and extending your vocabulary.

Errogie
27-Feb-09, 12:06
Words or expressions, even footballers or celebrity names can sometimes have the annoying habit of taking hold in your mind and then proceed to swim into your conscious thoughts at totally unexpected times of the day. Catchy tunes or tele adverts, what could be called "virus" tunes can do the same thing even though there can be absolutely no reason to be interested in what they sell or represent.

Sometimes the connection is with your imagination. Examples like "web browser" which I've heard a lot of recently conjure up the image of a black and white Freisian cow grazing a roadside verge but my absolute favourite has to be the recently coined "toxic debt" to describe the awful problems faced by our poor misunderstood bankers.

What a great piece of terminology, just wish that I could have claimed ownership of such a gem. Persistent, unquantifiable and deadly poisonous substances lurking beneath calm, unruffled waters just waiting to bring ruin and despolation upon innocent bystanders and honest citizens! The charm is in the unquantifiable threat of disruption and ruination or even the Gaelic equivalent (providing of course there is no preset delete or contributor distruct mechanism in operation by the ORG and Caithness councillors) "Mo Creich s'thanig" The cattle raid is upon us!

Anyway, beware anyone who might engage in verbal communication this bit of terminology is on the tip of my tongue just waiting to be dropped into the pool of conversation at the first opportunity. That is until it is replaced by the next "bon mot" or becomes totally worn out by overuse. Does this happen to anyone else?

Alan
27-Feb-09, 17:24
Words or expressions, even footballers or celebrity names can sometimes have the annoying habit of taking hold in your mind and then proceed to swim into your conscious thoughts at totally unexpected times of the day. Catchy tunes or tele adverts, what could be called "virus" tunes can do the same thing even though there can be absolutely no reason to be interested in what they sell or represent.

Sometimes the connection is with your imagination. Examples like "web browser" which I've heard a lot of recently conjure up the image of a black and white Freisian cow grazing a roadside verge but my absolute favourite has to be the recently coined "toxic debt" to describe the awful problems faced by our poor misunderstood bankers.

What a great piece of terminology, just wish that I could have claimed ownership of such a gem. Persistent, unquantifiable and deadly poisonous substances lurking beneath calm, unruffled waters just waiting to bring ruin and despolation upon innocent bystanders and honest citizens! The charm is in the unquantifiable threat of disruption and ruination or even the Gaelic equivalent (providing of course there is no preset delete or contributor distruct mechanism in operation by the ORG and Caithness councillors) "Mo Creich s'thanig" The cattle raid is upon us!

Anyway, beware anyone who might engage in verbal communication this bit of terminology is on the tip of my tongue just waiting to be dropped into the pool of conversation at the first opportunity. That is until it is replaced by the next "bon mot" or becomes totally worn out by overuse. Does this happen to anyone else?

Now I realise why there were no replies...

wifie
27-Feb-09, 17:42
Now I realise why there were no replies...

Enlighten us! Yer seemin awful keen to give yer acerbic opinions!

Alan
27-Feb-09, 17:47
Enlighten us! Yer seemin awful keen to give yer acerbic opinions!

I was make a light-hearted remark about how "wordy" his post was. I am sure Erogie realises that I was just making a teeny weeny joke, and I have to hope that you realise it as well, and are just being annoying.

wifie
27-Feb-09, 17:59
I hope Errogie realises this as I did notice that yer first post on the Org was to make a teeny weeny joke at his expense. May I suggest that you calm down Alan and reign in yer teenage exuberance.
(Note to Errogie:- I am not answering on yer behalf just makin an observation!)

Alan
27-Feb-09, 18:03
You may suggest, and it is my prerogative to ignore you. As I will do. Being funny or poking fun at someone isn't going to kill anybody. Unless you use a knife...

joxville
27-Feb-09, 18:21
You lot ought tae wind yer necks in a wee bit. :D

wifie
27-Feb-09, 18:45
You lot ought tae wind yer necks in a wee bit.

Jox, my dear chap, I am a happy bunny! :D I am merely expressing my opinion as is my right on here! I do believe we have royalty in our midst tho :eek: or perhaps it is a new invasion! :roll:

joxville
27-Feb-09, 18:49
I don't recall telling you I had blue blood coursing through my veins. Did I ever tell you I invented Turn 5 at the Nurburgring racing circuit? :D

wifie
27-Feb-09, 21:03
I was referring to prerogative!!!

We are hi-jackin this thread but no, Jox! :)

Errogie
27-Feb-09, 21:40
I nearly always have to rein in a tempatation to be jocular and irreverent, so it's a surprise to have a contribution condsidered too weighty but then I remember some of the mighty debates of the past from the ORG.
Anyway if no one else has these moments with the poetry of words and expressions or can't maintain an attention span that's fine by me, just let the pedants rule.

wifie
27-Feb-09, 21:45
Errogie I have to tell you I have been wrackin my tiny brain to come up wi something to add to yer starter for ten but I truly can't! Jingles for ads and such do stick in my brain even if I hate the product but I have no clue why! Toxic debt does come to mind tho but you have more than covered it - I do see pool of luminous green goo but that is cos my son has a Batman game called Toxic chill and there is lots of luminous green goo in it! :D

nightowl
27-Feb-09, 22:17
I've really taken to "easing your lower digestive transit" but am finding it a bit difficult bringing it into normal day to day conversation.:roll:

TBH
27-Feb-09, 22:23
Weapons Of mass destruction, credit Crunch?:eek:[lol]

Errogie
27-Feb-09, 22:23
You mean you need to increase your faecal transit time!

gleeber
27-Feb-09, 23:23
Does this happen to anyone else?
It happens to me in other ways but I think that's what makes those catchy tunes and phrases catchy. It's a cleverness inherant in human beings that connects with something deep in their socks that no one really understands. I saw some paintings in a gallery in London by an American guy (Jackson Pollack) and he used squiggly lines to connect with the seme cleverness. His paintings were big and the caption beside the painting said it was some kind of description of unconscious brain activity that science was later able to describe using modern neuro science research and whatever electrical machinery they have at their disposal. That elusive 'bon mot'may be on the tip o your tongue Errogie but as the mannie said spit it oot on the wall and we can all read it lol.
Or maybe you've just had a bad day.

wifie
27-Feb-09, 23:23
Right that is it I am fair takin the huff here - this morning someone told me my avatar looked like a glass bum - confirmed also by another orger who suggested it also was wearing a thong!!! :eek: Now I find that a thread I have subscribed to is bandying about words like "lower digestive transit" and "faecal transit time" - should I start using my WOMD (thanks TBH)?

TBH
27-Feb-09, 23:33
Right that is it I am fair takin the huff here - this morning someone told me my avatar looked like a glass bum - confirmed also by another orger who suggested it also was wearing a thong!!! :eek: Now I find that a thread I have subscribed to is bandying about words like "lower digestive transit" and "faecal transit time" - should I start using my WOMD (thanks TBH)?
It does look like that drawing which could be a lightbulb but also a lady bending over washing her feet?[lol]

wifie
27-Feb-09, 23:36
It does look like that drawing which could be a lightbulb but also a lady bending over washing her feet?[lol]

I have to say since I was informed of the thong bit I can see the bum now - peachy! [lol]

Sorry Errogie - I am makin a mockery here! :o

TBH
27-Feb-09, 23:47
I have to say since I was informed of the thong bit I can see the bum now - peachy! [lol]

Sorry Errogie - I am makin a mockery here! :oNo Mockery, remember the song, "Peaches". Walking on the beaches looking at the peaches has become a well known phrase.

wifie
27-Feb-09, 23:49
No Mockery, remember the song, "Peaches". Walking on the beaches looking at the peaches has become a well known phrase.

I have never heard that phrase but I like it! Not that I do it! :eek: [lol]

joxville
28-Feb-09, 00:24
I think it's bang out of order that wifie's avatar is being mocked. No wonder she is cracking up.:)

TBH
28-Feb-09, 00:30
I think it's bang out of order that wifie's avatar is being mocked. No wonder she is cracking up.:)A builder would be well chuffed to have such a Cracking Avatar.

Anne x
28-Feb-09, 00:45
A builder would be well chuffed to have such a Cracking Avatar.

what with a builders troosers pose lol

wifie
28-Feb-09, 00:46
You lot just have no appreciation of art whatsoever! I am truly disgusted! [disgust]

joxville
28-Feb-09, 00:49
You lot just have no appreciation of art whatsoever! I am truly disgusted! [disgust]
You mis-spelt a word wifie. Remove the 't' in art and add 'se'.

wifie
28-Feb-09, 00:59
You mis-spelt a word wifie. Remove the 't' in art and add 'se'.

LOL! You seem to have a good appreciation of them you moonies!