PDA

View Full Version : Crucified Barbara - 'Til Death Do Us Party

Metalattakk
23-Feb-09, 23:33
At the start of the week I got my hands on the new album by Swedish metalheads Crucified Barbara, titled 'Til Death Do Us Party'.

This is their second album, following on from the critically acclaimed début 'In Distortion We Trust'.

Having been a bit of a fan of 'In Distortion...' I was certainly keen to see if they could expand upon their rather one-dimensional cheese-fest lyrics and somewhat limited songwriting and produce a more mature and rounded effort this time.

Well, I have much pleasure in reporting that yes, indeed, this seems to be a far more grown-up set of songs. Gone (well nearly) are the schoolboy references to sex, replaced by a hard as feck attitude and some of the biggest riffing I've heard since Metallica were worth admitting to a liking of.

A full-bodied metal guitar sound that Dave Mustaine would have given up drinking for, and some of the hardest and heaviest screaming choruses that you're likely to hear this side of a classic Judas Priest record, combined with the kind of pin-sharp drumming that Dave Lombardo would chuck in his gig with Apocalyptica for another chance at achieving once again, leads me to believe that this record is already a stick-on for Album of the Year.

If you like loud, hard, guitar-driven heavy metal (and I do), I don't think you can do better than this album.

From the aforementioned schoolboy-esque 'Sex Action' through their power-ballad 'Jennyfer' to the crushing 'Can't Handle Love' and 'Danger Danger', this is a magnificent Heavy Metal tour-de-force.

Oh, and the thing that tips the scales even further? They're all chicks. Chicks that play men's Heavy Metal, better than most men. For once, people, we have a girl-band that stands tall and fights toe-to-toe on level ground. And wins.

If you have the inclination, check their music out. If not, well it's your loss. ;)

buddyrich
24-Feb-09, 00:17
"Crucified Barbara"? Are you making this up?

Metalattakk
24-Feb-09, 01:59
Seriously dude, open your eyes, and your ears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucified_Barbara

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Feb-09, 02:12
Haud me back ;)

buddyrich
24-Feb-09, 02:43
Pleeease dont touch, i shaaaaaaake so much!

Aye i'll gie them a listen.

bremkins
24-Feb-09, 14:47
I saw Crucified Barbara about 6 months ago as they were supporting one of my favourite bands (also Swedish) ... the magnificent and fantastic Backyard Babies. Anyway, Crucifed Barbara were actually pretty good too. I do agree with Metalattack's comments about them being loud, hard and guitar-driven. Heavy metal though ..... not so much. Having said that, I haven't listened to their second album so they may have taken a new direction.

Metalattakk
25-Feb-09, 00:34
I do agree with Metalattakk's comments about them being loud, hard and guitar-driven. Heavy metal though ..... not so much. Having said that, I haven't listened to their second album so they may have taken a new direction.

Ach, it all depends on your own definition of 'heavy metal', and whether that tallies with mine. :)

I would say this album is heavy metal, in the same way that The Wildhearts' 'Earth Vs...' is heavy metal.

Not heavy metal in the same way as Deicide and Cryptic Slaughter are heavy metal though. ;)

Anyway, give it a shot. I'm sure you'll like it.

buddyrich
25-Feb-09, 00:53
I havent listened to them yet but i was confused by the notion that they'd supported backyard babies.

From your original description of them i was expecting them to sound like Exodus with a female singer.

[pause]

Just had a look at their website-i dont think dave lombardo is looking over his shoulder and worrying about someone calling themselves nicki wicked.

Ok enough insults, i will go and give them a listen now.

bremkins
25-Feb-09, 10:24
Metalattakk (notice correct spelling) - I think our opinions on the definition of heavy metal differ quite substantially. I'm a Wildhearts fan and wouldn't describe anything they've done as heavy metal. I'd say the closest they've come is with the infamous 'Endless Nameless' album and even that's pushing it a bit.

However, things would get boring if we all agreed with each other all the time.

Gizmo
25-Feb-09, 14:12
Yeah great new album from CB, although MA's description of them had me thinking that there was maybe another band out there called Crucified Barbara.

If CB floats your boat then check out these

Sister Sin - http://www.myspace.com/sisterssin

Damone - http://www.myspace.com/damone

Both female fronted sleazy rock/metal bands...stonkin' stuff :D

And for a fix of superb old fasioned metal check out Wolf.

http://www.myspace.com/wolfheavymetal

bremkins
25-Feb-09, 14:55
I can vouch that Damone were really good live. I saw them maybe a year or two ago as a support band ... I think it may have been for Backyard Babies again. I did look into buying whatever album they had out at the time but the songs I heard on myspace didn't sound half as good as what I'd experienced at the gig.