PDA

View Full Version : allergic reaction.-help.

balto
22-Feb-09, 22:59
earlier this evening my other half bathed our 12 week old baby, in the usual bubble bath, shapoo and stuff, we always use the same well known brand and have never had a problem, well after he had finished bathing him i came down to feed him, and had him nuzzled in when i noticed large red spots on the left side of his forehead, so when he had finished feeding i lifted him up to wind him and noticed his eye was red and swollen and he was struggling to open the eye, so we thought it best to phone nhs24 to get their advice. Anyway they told us that it sounded like an allergic reaction and to take him up to the dunbar to be checked over, but since it had been half an hour since it started so by the time we got to the dunbar it had all nearly faded, so they couldnt treat it. Now i know you can get allergy test done but they cost a fortune, so is it now a case of trial and error unto we figure it out, which i am abit wary of doing incase it is worse if it happens again. and suggestions would be gratefully appriciated.

Kenn
22-Feb-09, 23:05
Have you changed the washing powder or used fabric conditioner on the babies clothes or the towels?
Cleaned the bath?
Usually a reaction like that is down to contact or airborne fumes.
Pleased the wee one seems ok now but would be worth keeping an eye on the situation as young ones can react very quickly .

balto
22-Feb-09, 23:08
Have you changed the washing powder or used fabric conditioner on the babies clothes or the towels?
Cleaned the bath?
Usually a reaction like that is down to contact or airborne fumes.
Pleased the wee one seems ok now but would be worth keeping an eye on the situation as young ones can react very quickly .
thanks liz, i havent changed a thing that would come into contact with him, as i know babies can react to such a lot, it was just the way it happened that shocked us.

marlyn
22-Feb-09, 23:11
I couldn't use a very well know brand of shampoo on my girls either as it had a horrible effect on their skin, I used to used Oilatum shampoo for their hair and just water in the bath, or sometimes some aqueous on their skin first. Even now they only sometimes get bubbles in their bath, it is usually just water, and I wouldn't say that they have got particularly sensitive skin.

Moby
22-Feb-09, 23:15
Take the wee one to your GP this week - surely they would not charge for allergy testing for a baby. You should also speak to the chemist at Williamsons, he's brilliant even if he is only able to suggest an appropriate Antihistimen for one so young. Not worth taking a chance.

balto
22-Feb-09, 23:20
I couldn't use a very well know brand of shampoo on my girls either as it had a horrible effect on their skin, I used to used Oilatum shampoo for their hair and just water in the bath, or sometimes some aqueous on their skin first. Even now they only sometimes get bubbles in their bath, it is usually just water, and I wouldn't say that they have got particularly sensitive skin.
was thinking about using oilatum for him, as i dont know what else to do as shops own brands dried his skin, will get some tomorrow ad see what happens.

Take the wee one to your GP this week - surely they would not charge for allergy testing for a baby. You should also speak to the chemist at Williamsons, he's brilliant even if he is only able to suggest an appropriate Antihistimen for one so young. Not worth taking a chance.
thats why i took him to the dunbar so quickly, as it could have been a lot worse and affected his breathing, nhs said if it did to phone an ambulance, but thankfully it didnt go that far. he has his 12week check up this week so will mention it to them

Julia
22-Feb-09, 23:30
was thinking about using oilatum for him, as i dont know what else to do as shops own brands dried his skin, will get some tomorrow ad see what happens.

You can get oilatum bath and oilatum shampoo both on prescription for your wee one. Oilatum bath is about £8 or £9 a bottle I think.

balto
22-Feb-09, 23:32
You can get oilatum bath and oilatum shampoo both on prescription for your wee one. Oilatum bath is about £8 or £9 a bottle I think.
cheers julia will make an appointment for him tomorrow.

toodiemac
22-Feb-09, 23:37
Have sent you a PM Balto

mums angels
22-Feb-09, 23:49
Dunno if its the same kind of test but last month i had to take my 8 month old to dunbar as she took an allergic reaction to penicillin , but they said that the only way to be sure that it was the penicillin was to do an allergy test but as it would require blood and needles they wouldnt do it on a baby if they didn't have to .

next time she needs antibiotics they are going to actually give it to her again and see what happens .. only difference is that now i know the signs id missed the first time so would stop them immediatly .

in your case could it have been something as simple as maybe getting the soap or something in his eye as when my little one gets something in her eye it all goes red, swollen and she has blotches around the area . hope hes ok .

lelebo
23-Feb-09, 11:07
Hi there

One of the reasons I started my business was because I had very similar problems with my daughter. I've always had sensitive skin and suffered badly from exzema when I was little. My little girl was the same - after a load of research I switched to organic products and the difference was amazing. They were pretty hard to get hold of so I decided to start www.alternativevitality.co.uk - the green people stuff for babies is my fav - so gentle......I've loads of mums who use it. If you pm me your address, I can set you out some samples if you want?

Dx

ellimac
23-Feb-09, 11:55
Hi Balto, I do hope your little one is okay today... Sometimes things like that happen and we never find out the reason behind it, thankfully everything went back to normal very quickly and there was no harm done to your little one... Maybe you could do exactally as you did when the reaction happened, ie, bathe him etc and see what happens after your routine is finished and then you could eliminate one thing at a time till you get to the thing that maybe caused the reaction in the first place.... Mind you that might not always work.... Were your other little ones near him at the time, cos if they were maybe it could of been something that they were using etc... Anyway I hope it won't happen again and that he'll be okay after his next bath..... :)

toodiemac
23-Feb-09, 12:23
Hi there

One of the reasons I started my business was because I had very similar problems with my daughter. I've always had sensitive skin and suffered badly from exzema when I was little. My little girl was the same - after a load of research I switched to organic products and the difference was amazing. They were pretty hard to get hold of so I decided to start www.alternativevitality.co.uk - the green people stuff for babies is my fav - so gentle......I've loads of mums who use it. If you pm me your address, I can set you out some samples if you want?

Dx

I love the Green People range of toiletries, suncream and toothpastes! Their bubble bath and shampoo may seem expensive at first, but it is so very concentrated that you only use a tiny amount so it lasts about four times longer than anything you can buy in the shops. Probably works out cheaper IMO, and at least by using it your not sitting your baby (or yourself) in a cocktail of chemicals everytime you bathe. Their mint free toothpastes are great if you are using homeopathic medicine. I didn't realise you sold this in Wick, Lelebo. Must go now and have a look at the website.

lelebo
23-Feb-09, 12:44
Hi there - I sell mostly through the website but will deliver in the local area for free. I'm planning a stall in the market square during the summer too :D

balto
23-Feb-09, 13:17
Dunno if its the same kind of test but last month i had to take my 8 month old to dunbar as she took an allergic reaction to penicillin , but they said that the only way to be sure that it was the penicillin was to do an allergy test but as it would require blood and needles they wouldnt do it on a baby if they didn't have to .
hiya,
next time she needs antibiotics they are going to actually give it to her again and see what happens .. only difference is that now i know the signs id missed the first time so would stop them immediatly .

in your case could it have been something as simple as maybe getting the soap or something in his eye as when my little one gets something in her eye it all goes red, swollen and she has blotches around the area . hope hes ok .
i would have said yes mayby my oh got shampoo in his eyes if it hadnt affected the left side of his forehead aswell, starting at his nose and going across then partly round the side of his head, strange one, doubt i will ever find out what it was.

Hi there

One of the reasons I started my business was because I had very similar problems with my daughter. I've always had sensitive skin and suffered badly from exzema when I was little. My little girl was the same - after a load of research I switched to organic products and the difference was amazing. They were pretty hard to get hold of so I decided to start www.alternativevitality.co.uk (http://www.alternativevitality.co.uk) - the green people stuff for babies is my fav - so gentle......I've loads of mums who use it. If you pm me your address, I can set you out some samples if you want?

Dxcheers have sent you a pm .

Hi Balto, I do hope your little one is okay today... Sometimes things like that happen and we never find out the reason behind it, thankfully everything went back to normal very quickly and there was no harm done to your little one... Maybe you could do exactally as you did when the reaction happened, ie, bathe him etc and see what happens after your routine is finished and then you could eliminate one thing at a time till you get to the thing that maybe caused the reaction in the first place.... Mind you that might not always work.... Were your other little ones near him at the time, cos if they were maybe it could of been something that they were using etc... Anyway I hope it won't happen again and that he'll be okay after his next bath..... :)my other half bathed him last night and he assures me he did nothing different, he showed me everything he used and it was all the same as i would normally, so dont know, mind you they just need to change a product slightly and it can cause a reaction.

brandy
23-Feb-09, 13:32
poor ben stayed in a rash as a baby!
he was at the doc. every othe day it seemed.
he had allergies and exema!
they refused to do an allergy test as they thought it would be to traumatic for him.
even had to rehome our dog at the time as they wouldnt give him meds to help with reactions from the dog.
i was told to get rid of the dog!
olatum was a staple in our house along with double base, and hydrocortisone cream!
good luck hun!

balto
23-Feb-09, 16:07
poor ben stayed in a rash as a baby!
he was at the doc. every othe day it seemed.
he had allergies and exema!
they refused to do an allergy test as they thought it would be to traumatic for him.
even had to rehome our dog at the time as they wouldnt give him meds to help with reactions from the dog.
i was told to get rid of the dog!
olatum was a staple in our house along with double base, and hydrocortisone cream!
good luck hun!
my eldest daughter, got herself in a right state, not because her brother took this allergy, but because she thought she would have to get rid of our pets.

cuddlepop
23-Feb-09, 17:52
my eldest daughter, got herself in a right state, not because her brother took this allergy, but because she thought she would have to get rid of our pets.

Balto I'm really sorry your wee one has developed a rash but your daughters comment made me chuckle.:lol: