PDA

View Full Version : given up the fags....

ciderally
22-Feb-09, 21:49
at last...month now ...thought it would get easier:confusednot so..boy oh boy....tips to keep me off them anyone..??

chiel
22-Feb-09, 21:58
heres 1 for you,i gave up when i went in hospital to have half a lung out,in my 30's,now thats not good is it,i have a small child that i want to see grow up

Kevin Milkins
22-Feb-09, 22:04
at last...month now ...thought it would get easier:confusednot so..boy oh boy....tips to keep me off them anyone..??

There seems to be a few just latley having a go and well done for being a month fagless.lol

Its been 18 months since Mr's M and myself gave up, it does get easier and it is well worth the struggle.

We were doing 60 a day between us and had been smoking for about 38 years so it can be done.

Keep telling yourself that if you have just one now you will have to start all over again, good luck.

greenasiamcabbagelooking
22-Feb-09, 22:09
are you using patches or any replacements for the fags ?

i've stopped for almost 6 weeks now and about to finish the 7mg patches, after that i'm gonna use the gum if i need it.... :eek:

it's true what they say though, the craving only lasts a few seconds so distract yourself with some other pleasurable hobby ....!

have you been saving the money that would have been spent on fags ? should soon mount up.

look at those loved ones around you (including the four legged ones), they're a constant reminder why your doing it (by the way, smoking at the back door has been proven to still bring toxins into the home that are carcinogenic)

stay positive, you've done really well so far and it will definitely get easier.
and most of all, remember that if you go back to the fags, you will certainly die younger than if you hadn't.

riggerboy
22-Feb-09, 22:13
sounds weird but i found this on the internet cant remember where, but what you do is put an elastic band on your wrist and every time you get the urge for a smoke you ping the band hard on you wrist, the brain then learns that the urge for nicotine will create some pain and therefore start to refrain from asking, brain training i suppose, sounds mad but worked well for me,

changilass
22-Feb-09, 22:16
Wonder if that one wll work for food too?

greenasiamcabbagelooking
22-Feb-09, 22:20
it could trigger some deep seated kinky subconscious, that whole pleasure/pain thing :Razz would probably lead to more smoking :(

EDDIE
22-Feb-09, 23:43

The first 2 to 4 weeks is the worst period u have to keep going and what ever u do dont take a sly fag or u will be back to square 1 you have to stick it out for at least 3 months before it starts getting easier when i used to get a craving in the evening i used to go and have a lie down or have a bath when u relax the cravings tend to go away.
But u must be able to smell things now that u couldnt before.

Julia
22-Feb-09, 23:51

Good for you, I really hope you succeed as the benefits to quitting are so great, you health, finances, sense of smell and taste will all greatly improve!

I quit 3 years ago and have never looked back.

JAWS
22-Feb-09, 23:55
Ciderally, you have to just stick at it. Even when your system has been cleared of nicotine and any physical after-effects have worn off your mind will still play games with you.
Your body doesn’t need it’s fix but your mind will suddenly tell you it does. When that happens all you can do is distract yourself or just ignore it and it will very quickly pass off.
The worst thing you can ever do is think that you will just have one, just this once, it won’t do any harm because I will just stop again.
It never works out that way, it just sets you off again. .