PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating!!

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 22:12
Ok so the last thing u wanna come across when in a hurry is tractors & learners thats fair enough! Why get so close? Is there any need for it? I've been learnin a while & experienced some near misses is it really worth it? Who's with me??

mums angels
21-Feb-09, 22:15
I stay clear of learners etc as much as i can and if i happen to meet one i stay well back. One thing i don't get is why do most go so slow ... when i learnt to drive i was told off if i didn't get up to speed the learner drivers i have been stuck behind in town do about 15mph at a push .

joxville
21-Feb-09, 22:17
Ok so the last thing u wanna come across when in a hurry is tractors & learners thats fair enough! Why get so close? Is there any need for it? I've been learnin a while & experienced some near misses is it really worth it? Who's with me??

Not me. I won't get in a car with you, you seem to be jinxed. :D

Seriously, I can't stand drivers that tailgate. There is no need for it and aside from the possibility of running into you, they aren't getting anywhere any faster.

dragonfly
21-Feb-09, 22:20
I took my daughter up Janetstown road on Wed night (she's only had 4 lessons so far) and a little red car came horsing up behind her, she panicked when having to drop down gear to turn left and stalled the car just on the junction and the silly woman in the car behind still sat on her tail - made my blood boil [evil]

everyone who is driving had to learn at some point in their lives and I hope that most drivers remember this, I know I always have done.

And as for the woman, I know who she is and I'll be reminding her of her learner days when I see her next and of the hand gesture she gave us [evil][evil]

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 22:23
My top line is 10mph so hope you don't have to get stuck behind me lol :lol:

I'm joking!!

I think they go so slow, because of the fear of not having control in a sticky situation!
For nervous drivers it can become really scary!

minnie
21-Feb-09, 22:26
I hate tailgaters if some one sits to close to me i sit and tap the brakes they soon back off.
Its van drivers that i find most annoying[evil]

mums angels
21-Feb-09, 22:27
My top line is 10mph so hope you don't have to get stuck behind me lol :lol:

I'm joking!!

I think they go so slow, because of the fear of not having control in a sticky situation!
For nervous drivers it can become really scary!

Oh i realise that as i remember well the nerves that come with learning to drive but i was always shouted at if i went too slow , maybe just my instructor and others are just a little more understanding . i can find it a little annoying when i'm needing to get somewhere but i know that badgering them will probably make them stall or panic and delay me even further , usually try to find an alternative route lol .

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 22:33
Fair enough im with you on that one as long as they do the speed limit & not 20mph below! I've got a brilliant instructer luckily, & he does tell me to speed up sometimes & down come to think of it!

Cattach
21-Feb-09, 22:39
I hate tailgaters if some one sits to close to me i sit and tap the brakes they soon back off.
Its van drivers that i find most annoying[evil]

I just go slower and slower as they tailgate that gewt up their nose.

Better than tapping the brakes - quickly turn your side lights on and off. They think you are breaking and they break but you do not lose any speed. That also gets to them.

catran
21-Feb-09, 22:42
yes one should not tailgate and long ago i was always told leave at least two car lengths. I always appreciate learner drivers, even in my old age I can remem:lol:ber how scary it was when one came right up behind you ready for overtaking and if I guess correctly it is much worse nowadays so good luck with the driving and take care.

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 22:46
yes one should not tailgate and long ago i was always told leave at least two car lengths. I always appreciate learner drivers, even in my old age I can remem:lol:ber how scary it was when one came right up behind you ready for overtaking and if I guess correctly it is much worse nowadays so good luck with the driving and take care.
Its nice to know there's folk out there that appreciate learners ta!
Were learning & every 1 had to do it!

unicorn
21-Feb-09, 22:50
The last case of tailgating we had was a bus on the way to Inverness and had we braked in any way we would have been crushed, it was absolutely terrifying.
I wish I had reported the driver, in hindsight I should have but he was too close to even get a number.

Fly
21-Feb-09, 22:56
I always slow off and give learner drivers plenty room as I remember how scary it is learning. I agree is is annoying to get stuck behind someone crawling (not always learners) but I suppose the answer is to leave plenty time to allow for that. The last person who tailgated me, I took his number when he passed me and reported him (repeat him) to the police, but unfortunately I never heard the outcome.

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 22:58
The last case of tailgating we had was a bus on the way to Inverness and had we braked in any way we would have been crushed, it was absolutely terrifying.
I wish I had reported the driver, in hindsight I should have but he was too close to even get a number.

I've got three children & when i've passed my test it does worry me, that plonkers will still do & always do it!
Brings back thoughts of that film, is it "The Creeper" or something like that?:confused When that bloke in his old banger of a truck stalks his prey ooohhh.. Spooky!

rfr10
21-Feb-09, 23:04

I agree with you completely. I found the same when I was learning and now, about a month after passing my test, I still find people right up at my back. I myself, knowing what it is like to be a learner, stay quite some distance back from learners no matter how slow they are going so that they don't feel under pressure when driving in front. It's most annoying when you are driving on the speed limit, knowing you can't go any faster and some driver is desperate to soom past you that the go right up to your back and pull out quickly just missing your rear right corner. Many drivers thing they have quick reactions and believe they are capable of stopping immediately when tailgating but what if the brakes fail. You may get distracted for a second but it only takes a second to make a mistake. Get some of the stickers which read "R U 2 CLOSE". Not that it will make much difference but at least it will make drivers more alert to how close they are to you.

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 23:10
I agree with you completely. I found the same when I was learning and now, about a month after passing my test, I still find people right up at my back. I myself, knowing what it is like to be a learner, stay quite some distance back from learners no matter how slow they are going so that they don't feel under pressure when driving in front. It's most annoying when you are driving on the speed limit, knowing you can't go any faster and some driver is desperate to soom past you that the go right up to your back and pull out quickly just missing your rear right corner. Many drivers thing they have quick reactions and believe they are capable of stopping immediately when tailgating but what if the brakes fail. You may get distracted for a second but it only takes a second to make a mistake. Get some of the stickers which read "R U 2 CLOSE". Not that it will make much difference but at least it will make drivers more alert to how close they are to you.

Congrats on the pass!! They should create something for it that prevents it from happening like tiny cameras in the rear window or somert that pick up a vehicle to close and zap em with a hefty fine!!:mad:

rfr10
21-Feb-09, 23:14
Congrats on the pass!! They should create something for it that prevents it from happening like tiny cameras in the rear window or somert that pick up a vehicle to close and zap em with a hefty fine!!:mad:

Thank you ;)

Or even better.. zaps them with a laser...:lol:

I'm sure I've hear something about a sensor at the front of some very new cars which detects if an object (car) is a certain distance in front and will slow the car down. Similar to a speed limiter.

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 23:17
Thank you ;)

Or even better.. zaps them with a laser...:lol:

I'm sure I've hear something about a sensor at the front of some very new cars which detects if an object (car) is a certain distance in front and will slow the car down. Similar to a speed limiter.

Thats new cars what about us with old bangers?? How about zap em with paint oooh that'd get some reaction!!

rfr10
21-Feb-09, 23:20
Thats new cars what about us with old bangers?? How about zap em with paint oooh that'd get some reaction!!

At least a laser will only cause one accident though. Paint may cause a few ;)

shazzap
21-Feb-09, 23:24
I give tailgaters the dirtiest look i can in my mirror whilst mouthing D**k Head

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 23:25
At least a laser will only cause one accident though. Paint may cause a few ;)

It is very annoying & seriously now, something needs doing about it![disgust]

rfr10
21-Feb-09, 23:35
It is very annoying & seriously now, something needs doing about it![disgust]
I agree, unfortunately, it is limited to what you can do. Pulling over to allow the car past would help avoid frustration. No it wont stop them from tailgating in future but at least you will have them off your tail and less risk of an accident. Don't do what many people say and keep pressing the brake pedal as it will just aggrivate the driver even more and will not help the matter. It's like speeding, you will only be punished if you are caught and unfortunately, police can't patrol every car in the world so it is up to the person tailgating to be sensible. If they want to put their life in danger as well as the person they are tailgating then that it their choice. Pull over, let them past to avoid any danger to you and take a note of their reg. number and report them.

ICE ROAD
21-Feb-09, 23:53
I agree, unfortunately, it is limited to what you can do. Pulling over to allow the car past would help avoid frustration. No it wont stop them from tailgating in future but at least you will have them off your tail and less risk of an accident. Don't do what many people say and keep pressing the brake pedal as it will just aggrivate the driver even more and will not help the matter. It's like speeding, you will only be punished if you are caught and unfortunately, police can't patrol every car in the world so it is up to the person tailgating to be sensible. If they want to put their life in danger as well as the person they are tailgating then that it their choice. Pull over, let them past to avoid any danger to you and take a note of their reg. number and report them.

Its like what they say if you carn't beat them join them! On this occasion You carn't beat so just put up with them!:~(

Fran
22-Feb-09, 05:35

I agree, i have suffered this on many occasions and dreaded if I had to make an emergency stop i would have been killed.They get so close that they cant see your brake lights.

JAWS
22-Feb-09, 06:24
I can never understand people who harass learners, the only thing I can think is that they are totally thick.
Tailgating a learner or even visibly displaying irritation with them won’t make them do anything faster, if anything it will just make them flustered or panicky and take even longer to do what they are doing.
That does the learner no good and holds up the person giving them the problem even longer which defeats the whole reason for harassing them in the first place.

jimbews
22-Feb-09, 10:17
Pulling over to allow the car past would help avoid frustration.

That's the only safe way.

In GOOD road conditions I was taught to obey the 2 second rule:
Pick a marker at the roadside as the car in front passes it.
Say out loud:
"Only a fool breaks the two second rule"
If you pass the marker before finished speaking - you're too close!
Increase the gap as conditions worsen.
If the driver behind you is too close: add on THEIR 2 seconds to allow for an emergency when you have to make up for their stupidity.

Trouble with being followed by a tailgator is that you often miss opportunities to pass a slow vehicle in front because you're so busy watching behind because you're scared they will try to pass at the same time as you (in which case YOU will be in the wrong).

But I must admit to also hate the slow drivers.
If they are not capable of driving on modern roads then they shouldn't be on them.
If they are driving slow vehicles such as tractors they SHOULD be aware of following traffic and pull over occasionally to let queues clear. I have heard of tractor drivers being booked for not doing this!
On the other hand, let's also admit that many people also drive much too fast for the road conditions.

JimBews

davie
22-Feb-09, 11:02
Of course 'pulling over' to allow the tailgater to overtake is the only safe solution. But, and there are lots of buts, where do you pull over, accepting that there are other vehicles on the road, how often do you pull over, you need to get where you are going eventually !.
I have some recent experience of being tailgated - its a long story and not for publication here, but I must drive strictly within the speed limits for a while and that means 30mph in town and 60 mph elsewhere around here. In town I am being tailgated and overtaken on a regular basis and between Caithness & inverness I feel like I am a danger on the road as literally everyone else wants to pass me.
I felt much safer on the open road when I was travelling at 80 mph like all the other lunatics.

highlander
22-Feb-09, 14:04
Ok i dont agree with tailgating as this can be a frightening experience, but there is also two sides to every story, mine is, we were taking a sick animal to the vet in an emergency appointment, came across a learner on the single track road to the town, this learner passed two passing places going at a snails pace, i thought that learners were soposed to pull over to let other drivers past, we dont all have time of day to go cruising.

Fluff
22-Feb-09, 14:15
Some people just see the L plates and assume the learner is a beginner, slow etc.. When I was taking my lessons the amount of people who just assume you are slow is stupid. My instructor often found that on the way to lessons alot of people would asume she was the learner and treat her like an idiot.
Everyone who drives now was once a learner so just remember that!

camor
22-Feb-09, 14:21
My daughter is currently learning to drive and I take her out as mush as possible. Generally, others respect the 'L' plates and we shouldn't forget we were all learners at one stage. There was one incident though that incensed me. She was only days into her driving and whilst pulling away from the junction at the cinema in Thurso, some clown in a blue Nissan Almera thought that it would be a good idea to blast the horn at her after she stalled. He then proceeded to overtake her between the collage and High School, illegally in my opinion. This was an example of complete ignorance and disrespect for other road users A visit to the police station was considered but she just put it down to experience. But if I get a chance, I will return the compliment to Mr Blue Almera.

ICE ROAD
22-Feb-09, 19:06
Ok i dont agree with tailgating as this can be a frightening experience, but there is also two sides to every story, mine is, we were taking a sick animal to the vet in an emergency appointment, came across a learner on the single track road to the town, this learner passed two passing places going at a snails pace, i thought that learners were soposed to pull over to let other drivers past, we dont all have time of day to go cruising.

Learners are supposed to pull over for an emergency vehicle with blue, green, or orange flashing lights, that's basically the law for all I should imagine. If your lights were flashing the learner should have been instructed to pull over in a safe & convenient place.

rfr10
22-Feb-09, 21:17

"Sound your horn to make them aware of your presence."

rfr10
22-Feb-09, 21:21
Some people just see the L plates and assume the learner is a beginner, slow etc.. When I was taking my lessons the amount of people who just assume you are slow is stupid. My instructor often found that on the way to lessons alot of people would asume she was the learner and treat her like an idiot.
Everyone who drives now was once a learner so just remember that!

Well I thought that after passing the test and no longer having L plates would solve some problems but nope- it's basically the same. When learning, I found that no matter what speed I was travelling at, every car that was nearby would have to overtake and I thought this would change when I passed but it's exactly the same. Even if you are travelling at 60mph, you will almost certainly have more than 2 cars overtake you during a 30 min journey. Even if you were travelling at 70mph, I bet you'd still get some idiots overtaking you.

oldmarine
22-Feb-09, 23:11
I am fearfull of tailgaters. In particular when the roads are wet, icy, slippery or whatever.

lasher
23-Feb-09, 15:39

You were obviously driving too slow if you have a bus right behind you!!

percy toboggan
23-Feb-09, 18:37
Touch your brake pedal if they get too close.
If one is intimidated then pull over at the first op. and let them get past.
If you're the fighting kind knock their blocks off - but beware. They might be as good at scrappin' as they are bad drivers.

I'm usually about sixty five feet from any one tailgating me. I should have a sign saying 'if you canna stop - smile as you go under'

In the auld Audi - it rarely happens and I'm always respectably distant .... as you can see from my posts.

highlander2222
23-Feb-09, 19:42
You were obviously driving too slow if you have a bus right behind you!!

I was doing 60mph and a bus still passed me

Valerie Campbell
23-Feb-09, 20:15
One of my sisters-in-law is really bad at tailgating. I absolutely hate it but as the saying goes, it's geography in front of you, history behind you. The best thing to do is ease off the clutch slowly yourself but not to upset them. It's simply so you can keep yourself safe. Drivers must remember we we're all learners once and we don't own the roads just because we've been driving for years.

bish667
23-Feb-09, 20:21
One of my sisters-in-law is really bad at tailgating. I absolutely hate it but as the saying goes, it's geography in front of you, history behind you. The best thing to do is ease off the clutch slowly yourself but not to upset them. It's simply so you can keep yourself safe. Drivers must remember we we're all learners once and we don't own the roads just because we've been driving for years.

Am i being thick or do you mean ease of the accelarator?

jimbews
23-Feb-09, 21:45
I was doing 60mph and a bus still passed me

On the other had: I can still remember the look on the bus driver's face as he was passed by a couple of us on push-bikes doing about 50mph travelling north at Berriedale.

That would have been early 1960's. Obviously he got his own back on the north brae!

JimBews

George Brims
23-Feb-09, 21:54
yes one should not tailgate and long ago i was always told leave at least two car lengths.
Two car lengths is not much if you're going fast. A better rule is two *seconds*. When the car in front passes a road sign or road marking, count "one potato, two potato" If you have passed the same point before you're done, you're too close. Using time rather than distance makes the distance longer the faster you are going. Increase it to three or four seconds if it's raining.

The only drawback I find with this is that eejits use that space you are leaving to jump into your lane, but I just shake my head and pull back from them too (usually further).

piratelassie
24-Feb-09, 01:12
I find most people that tailgate are waiting for an opportunity to overtake,but there are always the odd one that will just sit there

George Brims
24-Feb-09, 02:22
Unless you have a very sporty car, tailgating is exactly the *wrong* thing to do if you're trying to overtake. You have to pull out further in order to get a clear view ahead. Then once you do see a gap in the oncoming traffic (after sharply pulling back in to avoid that oncoming log lorry) you have to pull out at the same speed as the car in front and accelerate past it. If you just hang back a bit, you can see when you will have your chance, and start your "run" before the last oncoming car has passed by. By the time it's passed you are up nearer the tail of the car in front but already going faster, so you can be past it and back in before the last 100 yard straight bit for the next 27 miles runs out.

JAWS
24-Feb-09, 03:44
Sound advice George, that is exactly how it should be done.