PDA

View Full Version : Should or shouldn't I?

skinnydog
20-Feb-09, 21:46
My 4 year old has the chicken pox but a fairly mild dose, just on her back and front, luckily.

Anyway, she is still full of beans and happy and wants to go swimming at the weekend.

I am just not sure if I should take her out and about or should we stay locked in doors in total darkness for two weeks!!

How would you feel if you were in the pool and saw a mildly spotty kid?

Any advice is appreciated!!

ShelleyCowie
20-Feb-09, 21:48
I would not be bothered by it!

As far as i thought the infectious stage is pretty much over!

If in doubt, make your own swimming pool! lol

mums angels
20-Feb-09, 21:51
I never kept my two in recently with the chicken pox but don't think i would take them swimming as it might make spots more itchy etc. Go round to a friends who either doesn't mind if hers gets the pox or they already had it .

chicken pox are more contagious before the spots come out

most places like nurseries etc do have a policy of not returning until the last spot has crusted over . My two were crusted within 5 days

have fun at the weekend

starry
20-Feb-09, 21:53
I wouldn't keep her in but I am not sure I would take her swimming.

unicorn
20-Feb-09, 21:56
As someone who has never had them and is trying hard to avoid them right now I would not be too pleased if I met you :lol:

skinnydog
20-Feb-09, 22:14
Some for and some against. Will wait until tomorrow and see what that brings. She might get up in the morning and be covered from head to toe! That would definitely be a no for swmiming but I have to admit if she stays as she is, with a swimming costume on, no one would know.

Will let you know what we do. Afterwards though, so that no one can run us out of the joint!! Don't go getting too paranoid if any of you are in the swimming pool looking at all the kids to see if they have spots!!

marlyn
21-Feb-09, 14:50
My wee girl has them too, but it is quite obvious with her. I wouldn't take her swimming, but we did have her at the coffee morning this morning, and she was fine, probably had a few disapproving looks but I don't really care! she had a ball filling herself with scones and pancakes and showing friends her chicken spot belly.

Moby
21-Feb-09, 15:18
Can you be sure that you will not come into contact with a woman in early pregnancy ? ...............

"Chickenpox can cause problems throughout a pregnancy. If a woman has chickenpox during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, there is a small risk that her infant will develop varicella syndrome, which includes abnormally small limbs and head, mental retardation, scarring of the skin, and eye defects."

Mazda
21-Feb-09, 15:28
Can you be sure that you will not come into contact with a woman in early pregnancy ? ...............

"Chickenpox can cause problems throughout a pregnancy. If a woman has chickenpox during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, there is a small risk that her infant will develop varicella syndrome, which includes abnormally small limbs and head, mental retardation, scarring of the skin, and eye defects."

WELL SAID MOBY the place for a child with chicken pox is at home not out in a public place where the risk of passimg it on is High.
I thought this would be Common Sense to any mother

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 15:33
WELL SAID MOBY the place for a child with chicken pox is at home not out in a public place where the risk of passimg it on is High.
I thought this would be Common Sense to any mother

As said before the infectious stage is before the spots break out, i had to take my son out when he had the spots.

Are you saying i have no sense or did you just not read the rest of the posts :roll:

dragonfly
21-Feb-09, 15:37
a good dose of fresh air will do no harm and as for catching it from someone you pass in the street I would think is highly unlikely.

I wouldn't be keeping a small child caged up in the house with just chickenpox unless they were unwell with it. Years ago the mums used to see who had what and send the kids round to see if they could catch it whether it be CP, measles or mumps..............I never caught anything :(

but to go back to your question, I wouldn't be taking her to swimming skinnydog, the chlorine may make it sting if nothing else

Mazda
21-Feb-09, 18:38
WAs at the pool this afternoon and asked the staff about someone with Chicken Pox.
The reply -They would NOT be allowed in/if in they would be asked to leave.
If in the pool the pool would Have to be closed as the Germ of Chicken Pox can survive in the moisture of the pool

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 18:46
WAs at the pool this afternoon and asked the staff about someone with Chicken Pox.
The reply -They would NOT be allowed in/if in they would be asked to leave.
If in the pool the pool would Have to be closed as the Germ of Chicken Pox can survive in the moisture of the pool

Well done for taking it to the next step. I think...

unicorn
21-Feb-09, 19:51
Chicken pox is infectious until all blisters have scabbed over as confirmed here
The viral infection is transferred from one person to another through direct contact with the broken chickenpox blisters and through airborne droplets.

The infectious period lasts from about three days before the rash appears until all the blisters have formed scabs.

The incubation period between being infected with chickenpox until the disease breaks out and symptoms appear is 10 to 20 days.

mums angels
21-Feb-09, 21:14

Had to look into this myself recently as my little one got the pox and is often round a pregnant friend

Doctor and midwife said ... The first trimester and as your about to give birth is when to be concerned IF the mother hasn't already had the chicken pox, if the mother has had it she should be already immune. And in the case of my friend unfortunatly it would have been to late as she had had contact with my daughter several times in the days before the spots came out .

Chicken pox is only supposed to be infectious once the spots break out if there is direct contact with the blisters, so unless your are going to be touching other peoples spots you shoudl be ok .

I am all for taking the kids out and about if you need to or if the people you are visiting etc are aware that you have it . I was always happy for friends with the pox to come and play when my boy was 1 years plus as its better to get them younger than older but he never got them until just last month , thankfully all of mine have now had it .. lets hope the youngest doesn't get them again

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 21:19
Well as most know my wee boy recently had them. He was 4 months old when he had them. Luckily they are all gone now. Just a couple still healing on his leg but that is it.

I had no choice but to take him out places where i might have been in contact with other children or pregnant women.

Cant make me stay in if i had places to be.

mums angels
21-Feb-09, 21:27
Well as most know my wee boy recently had them. He was 4 months old when he had them. Luckily they are all gone now. Just a couple still healing on his leg but that is it.

I had no choice but to take him out places where i might have been in contact with other children or pregnant women.

Cant make me stay in if i had places to be.

I don't think its that you had no choice as if your son had the German measels or something similar you would keep him in as you would have too. but i think we are all abit more relaxed about the pox as its not "usually" dangerous and in my experience most parents don't mind been around other children with the pox, so we tend to carry on as much as normal and like already stated better younger than older , however in the case of my daughter and most infants there is always the chance they can get it again .

ShelleyCowie
21-Feb-09, 21:31
I don't think its that you had no choice as if your son had the German measels or something similar you would keep him in as you would have too. but i think we are all abit more relaxed about the pox as its not "usually" dangerous and in my experience most parents don't mind been around other children with the pox, so we tend to carry on as much as normal and like already stated better younger than older , however in the case of my daughter and most infants there is always the chance they can get it again .

Yeah plus he was in his pram. So im pretty sure he wasna muckin around with any kids lol. He is too wee for playin yet! Well sayin that the wee devil is tryin to steal ma M&M's just now. 5 months old and he has my appetite already! :roll:[lol]

unicorn
21-Feb-09, 21:32
There is always a chance also though that older people who have had chickenpox develop shingles as a result of being in contact with the chicken pox virus. Shingles is not at all pleasant.

mums angels
21-Feb-09, 22:01
There is always a chance also though that older people who have had chickenpox develop shingles as a result of being in contact with the chicken pox virus. Shingles is not at all pleasant.

i was under the impression that you cannot get shingles from someone with the chicken pox or someone with shingles its just something you get if your body reactivates the virus .

LMS
21-Feb-09, 22:31
i was under the impression that you cannot get shingles from someone with the chicken pox or someone with shingles its just something you get if your body reactivates the virus .

My understanding is the same, here is an extract from patient.co.uk

Most people have chickenpox at some stage (usually as a child). The virus does not completely go after you have chickenpox. Some virus particles remain inactive in the nerve roots next to your spinal cord. They do no harm there, and cause no symptoms. For reasons that are not clear, the virus may begin to multiply again (reactivate). This is often years later. The 're-activated' virus travels along the nerve to the skin to cause shingles.

In most cases, an episode of shingles occurs for no apparent reason. Sometimes a period of stress or illness seems to trigger it. A minor 'ageing' of the immune system may account for it being more common in older people. (The immune system keeps the virus inactive and prevents it from multiplying. A slight weakening of the immune system in older people may account for the virus 'reactivating' and multiplying to cause shingles.)

unicorn
21-Feb-09, 22:54
ah you learn something new every day, as I understood it to be that chickenpox could cause it to become active as shingles.

kas
22-Feb-09, 00:15
Taking it to another level.
http://www.shetlandnewsarchives.com/news_01_2009/Island%20kids%20in%20quarantine.htm

Hope the little one aint feeling too bad and that you are spoiling her.

catnip
22-Feb-09, 00:21
I have had them twice, when I was 5 then again at 28 but this time it was a mixture of chickenpox and shingles, It was a very sore thing and I was told I was still infectious untill all the spots had gone. That was a few years ago. Giving away my age here ha ha!

purplelady
22-Feb-09, 00:59
have to say that is what I was told by a dr that it is nothing to do with chicken pox have to say had shingles last yr not nice , mine was caused by stress but was also told you cannot catch shingles unless you actually touch it x

magtomich
22-Feb-09, 01:10
My understanding is that you cannot get shingles from some one with chickenpox. You can only get shingles if you have previously had chickenpox. However the shingles virus can be spread to a child and develop as chickenpox.

skinnydog
22-Feb-09, 16:12
Well I asked the swimming pool receptionist yesterday morning if it would be ok to come along in the afternoon and he said yes.

So we did go, no-one noticed but just goes to show that even the pool staff are giving out conflicting advice!

The spots are one the way out anyway and as I said earlier she wasnt covered in them so it obviously wasnt a really bad dose......