PDA

View Full Version : Mid Clyth - Peter Clark & Mary Sutherland

Marion Davie
20-Feb-09, 10:22
Hello everyone, I'm really excited :) as I have just discovered that my gr-gr-gr-grandfather was a Peter Clark (farmer of Mid Clyth) who married a Mary Sutherland probably about the late 1780's although I have not been able to find his marriage as yet, not even in the GRoS in Edinburgh. His son was Henry Clark b.abt 1805, a baker in Aberdeen (my ancestor) who died of typhus in 1859. He also had a son William, who registered his brother's death. Does anyone know more about this particular Peter (I know there was a wee clan of them in Clyth at that time) and if there is more information from the MIs in Mid Clyth Cemetery?
Many thanks
Marion Davie

cuthill
25-Feb-09, 23:51
Hi Marion there is quite a few Clarks in Mid Clyth cemetery but no Peter.What other children did they have that stayed in Mid Clyth or areas around caithness.Was Peter dead before the 1841 census as i could not find him.I found a Peter {Clerk } ch 18/12/1774 and his father is John Clerk all the other Peters born in Caithness are before 1750 and after 1797.

susan.leith
26-Feb-09, 11:42
Might he be listed as Patrick? Just a thought...........

Tighsonas4
26-Feb-09, 21:25
hi
not much help but if you take up ODDQUINES BITS AND PIECES clyth cemetry is listed and its also got a search engine all the best tony

Marion Davie
27-Feb-09, 22:59
Hi Marion there is quite a few Clarks in Mid Clyth cemetery but no Peter.What other children did they have that stayed in Mid Clyth or areas around caithness.Was Peter dead before the 1841 census as i could not find him.I found a Peter {Clerk } ch 18/12/1774 and his father is John Clerk all the other Peters born in Caithness are before 1750 and after 1797.

Many thanks for your speedy response. There are the following children born to a Peter Clark Latheron parish (on IGI but no wife's,or wives, name given unfortunately):-
1798 John
1800 William
1802 Alexander
1805 Hary (the only document I have had sight of = Henry, my ancestor)
1807 Alexander
1808 James
1810 Robert
1812 Peter/Robert (twins)
1815 Barbara
1818 Anna
This looks as if it's just one family by the birth dates. Going by the Scottish naming pattern I thought that Peter's father might be a John Cla/erk and I too had thought the 1774 guy a likely candidate. However, there seem to be other Johns and Peters a generation back, so I'm not sure. Maybe Census records might give me a clue?
Thankyou for everyone's help.
Marion

Marion Davie
27-Feb-09, 23:01
Thanks Tony (and Susan)
What a super website! I searched Clyth and found some bit and quines (!) that might prove useful in the future, once I've found out more.
Many thanks
M