PDA

View Full Version : cruelty issues

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 19:56
this is dora we bought her in november from edinburgh. we took her out of a bad environment, she was in a 1 bed flat,kept in a cage and was totally emaciated (she was only 48kgs. danes should be considerably more).she was in the hands of a puppy seller but we didnt know this at the time .the seller told us that she ran away and lived on the streets for 2 weeks and was picked up by the pound on 5th nov.and that was why she was thin.as we travelled home with her the sspca called us and told us about her history and about this person.they have been after this person for some time but because they cannot dis-prove his story he gets away with it yet again.i know some people will disapprove of us buying her but there was no way that i could have walked away without taking her out of this situationhttp://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww343/safkyle/2009198.jpg

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 20:08
Wow what a lovely dog! Hope everything goes good in the future and many happy times!

All the best! ;)

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 20:18
thanks shelleybain .i hope so too but still learning about her and having a few issues with her at the moment.but i wont give in

binbob
19-Feb-09, 20:19
u were right to take dora..bless u both.she is so lovely and now she will find out the real way of a very loved dog in a loving family.may u all have many happy years together.;)

unicorn
19-Feb-09, 20:22
What a stunner, well done you for giving her a second chance. I would suggest contacting porshiepoo on the forum, she used to breed danes and has kept many so I am sure she can guide you with dora's issues. There is nothing better than an experienced head.

cuddlepop
19-Feb-09, 20:23
You were right to buy Dora,I couldnt have walked away from her either.
As the SSPCA know about this breeder its only a matter of time before they're caught.

You will have issues with your new found friend for a while but with loads of love and attention you'll win her trust.:D

Julia
19-Feb-09, 20:30
She is gorgeous and I bet so much happier now, good for you!

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 20:36
thanks shelleybain .i hope so too but still learning about her and having a few issues with her at the moment.but i wont give in

It will take a while for both of you to get to know each other! A breaking in period you could call it.

Obviously if Dora has been mis-treated in anway before trust will have to be earned.

But dont worry, Dora looks a very lovely caring dog in the picture. So im sure you will get on great! Lots more photos welcome!!! :Razz

Fstevens
19-Feb-09, 20:42
Hi, I dont think you are daft at all, just the sort of thing I do, and have done for years, in fact I admire you, she will love you more, after what she has been through, Give her a big cuddle, and a warm hug to you.
Regards Fay:):)

Jovi
19-Feb-09, 21:08
From one Dane owner (I'm not sure who actually owns who) ;) ..to another,stick with her.Danes are incredibly sensitive and need reassurance that they are loved (as all animals do) but they are so gentle,loving and willing to please ,a wonderful dog ..can you tell I love them? It can take a while to overcome problems but the effort will be well rewarded with a loyal friend. Mine is staring at me as I write this,wanting to know why I'm not making a fuss of him:lol:. I'd have done the same as you,no way could I leave a dog in that situation. Good luck to you both. Jovi

nannydip
19-Feb-09, 21:11
Dora looks lovely, and good for you giving her a loving home. I have a great danex labrador who had a bad start in life too, but time and patience works wonders. He will always have a few issues but it has been an extremely rewarding experience.

skinnydog
19-Feb-09, 21:32
What a beautiful dog. Once she gets to know and trust you I am sure you will be rewarded!!

carasmam
19-Feb-09, 22:46
What a beautiful girl. Lovely markings, is there a name for that sort of colouring?
Good luck and good on you for getting her out of a bad place. I am sure porshiepoo and jovi will give good advice about Danes if you need it

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 23:08
she is a harlequin mismark.or more commonly a blue merle.not good enough for showing but i have always loved the colour of them also love pure harlequin which are white with black blotches

Boss
19-Feb-09, 23:16
this is dora we bought her in november from edinburgh. we took her out of a bad environment, she was in a 1 bed flat,kept in a cage and was totally emaciated (she was only 48kgs. danes should be considerably more).she was in the hands of a puppy seller but we didnt know this at the time .the seller told us that she ran away and lived on the streets for 2 weeks and was picked up by the pound on 5th nov.and that was why she was thin.as we travelled home with her the sspca called us and told us about her history and about this person.they have been after this person for some time but because they cannot dis-prove his story he gets away with it yet again.i know some people will disapprove of us buying her but there was no way that i could have walked away without taking her out of this situationhttp://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww343/safkyle/2009198.jpg

And so where is she now? has her condition progressed? Interested?

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 23:17

She is with Fuzzypeg! :Razz

Boss
19-Feb-09, 23:20
She is nice, what are you doing with her? Keeping her, what of her future?
Will you keep her or pass her on?
Ligitimate questions I believe............? but perhaps not on the pets corner.............?

Liz
19-Feb-09, 23:25
Dora is lovely and well done for rescuing her.

Let's hope the SSPCA catch up with the horrible puppy seller.[mad]

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 23:26
dora is doing fine she is due to go to vets for a weigh in ,but last month she weighed in at 60kgs .the vets are happy about that ,but she still needs to put on a lot more ,as she stands 33 1/2 inches to the shoulder .which is very tall for a bitch .i have been in touch with her original breeder and she recommends she be at least 65-70kgs for her height .she loves her up cuddles and stands a good foot and a half taller than me(i am 5 ' 5").she also loves to sit on your knee !

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 23:33
to boss yes i hope to keep her, but we have a few concerns about aggression towards other animals (not dogs though) we have a small holding and she has attacked a couple of our livestock(fortunately no damage to them) but it has to be overcomed if she stays here.she has always been in a city in the past and i think this is the problem

Jovi
19-Feb-09, 23:36
Ha! sitting on your knee..thats a Dane thing,like backing up and sitting on the chair like a human,lying on their backs with legs pointing skyward and pushing their ear right up to your face when you talk to them. Love it [lol]

teenybash
19-Feb-09, 23:44
fuzzypeg you did right in buying Dora out of a very bad environment....well done to you and happy days to Dora.
Hopefully you will find a way to batten down Doras' natural instincts to hunt.............I am sure with patience and dedicated training this is achievable. Lots of love, luck and patience in the tasks ahead in the hope you will be able to share your life and home with Dora.......by the way she is very beautiful.:)

fuzzypeg
19-Feb-09, 23:50
to Boss. . . . .yes she is currently on a long lead to stop her from causing harm to other animals and possibly herself ,but i hope to get her trust in me and to not chase other animals .and she is not in hell here she has companionship and food and most of all love, which she obviously hasnt had in the past as i am her known 8th owner .all my past dogs have lived happy and long lifes and i hope for the same for dora

carasmam
19-Feb-09, 23:56
Fuzzypeg - You do not have to defend yourself to some muppet on here

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 23:57
to Boss. . . . .yes she is currently on a long lead to stop her from causing harm to other animals and possibly herself ,but i hope to get her trust in me and to not chase other animals .and she is not in hell here she has companionship and food and most of all love, which she obviously hasnt had in the past as i am her known 8th owner .all my past dogs have lived happy and long lifes and i hope for the same for dora

Fuzzypeg just ignore Boss. Obviously has something against everything!

You have done an excellent thing for taking Dora into your care. As you said it takes time for trust and it will take time for Dora to get used to the other animals u have.

Please do keep us posted on the progress! I will be reading! ;)

Liz
20-Feb-09, 00:00
Fuzzypeg I agree with Carasmam and Shelley.

For some reason Pet's Corner has been targetted a lot lately by mischief makers. Saddos!

20-Feb-09, 00:31
Posts aimed at baiting members have been removed and further posts may be removed to restore some order to this forum.

butterfly
20-Feb-09, 01:08
fuzzypeg,thank goodness you took her on,she looks lovely and i hope she settles in time.you have a good heart thats for sure.

fuzzypeg
20-Feb-09, 01:22
thanks butterfly she is a great dog and full of love for people. even though her past is a bit murky ,she obviously hasnt been too badly abused by people. but ignorance in the breed is abuse in itself. and all her past owners should have swotted up on that before buying her. i have always had large breed dogs and know of thier requirements.

binbob
20-Feb-09, 11:21
Fuzzypeg just ignore Boss. Obviously has something against everything!

You have done an excellent thing for taking Dora into your care. As you said it takes time for trust and it will take time for Dora to get used to the other animals u have.

Please do keep us posted on the progress! I will be reading! ;)

ditto....;)